Google Jacking of Affiliate Sites
    Ok, so maybe I live in a cave, but I just now noticed this thread at Webmaster World and about fell out of my chair:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28329.htm

I didnt notice any discussions about this here (I am sure there was one or more, I just didnt see them).

What's everyones take on this? I am shocked that something this huge has not been on the front page of MSN and CNN or detailed in any of the major affiliate marketing newsletters.

If you havent read it, be prepared to get very angry.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered in detail here about a month ago?

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I would have thought so Tim, but I didnt see it. For mushrooms like me can someone post a link to that discussion?

I would think the thread would be a gazillion pages long

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A thread like that did start here, but rather than becoming a gazillion pages long, as I recall it was pooh-poohed by some members before it could get much discussion (just a couple of pages)!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Cool Is every post there?
    What is the date of that WmW thread.

If the thread is more than 24 hours old you can't be sure that everything that was posted is still online.

Threads are sanitized on a regular basis.

Google threads in particular.

I was reading it this morning Adam. There are 14 pages of posts. I hadnt been over there for awhile and this snuck up on me.

A thread like that did start here, but rather than becoming a gazillion pages long, as I recall it was pooh-poohed by some members before it could get much discussion (just a couple of pages)!
    I am sorry to be the cynic, but one wonders why anyone would pooh pooh something so critical, unless of course...

ABW Ambassador
    I think that THIS was the ABW thread.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Well I had to actually register over there to see what was being said. I certainly didn't read a 17 page thread, but read what was being described in the first post (dated Feb 27).

Very old news and something that has been discussed here many times, maybe just not in the terminology used over at WmW which is why you may have not pulled up anything on a search here. Lots of threads here of folks complaining when they've found it done to their sites and many times talked about as site copying, site stealing and/or spamming google. There's all different ways folks scam google SERP's with those redirects from a mish-mash of sniplets from top ranking pages to the url point thing. If I'm remembering correctly, this is along the lines of what WhenU was doing that got them booted temporarily from Google. Many times you get clued in they are up to something when you view the cache and see something totally different than the SERP listing.

There's actually been a couple of rather lengthy threads here were affs were caught doing this and outed publicly which earned them getting booted from some programs. I remember one of the first cases seen here probably about a year ago. I think it was Poon who found something and it was brought up in the private pware forum that was active at the time asking what was going on with what he saw. I remember researching it out and finding all such pages on this one site (an affiliate) and then sending all the documentation and technical details on how it was being done over on it to Google higher up the Google food chain via someone I know. Off hand I recall several very heated public outings over the redirect thing.

A more recent ABW thread about this http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...&highlight=302 although I don't know one way or another if this will or will not protect a site.

Generally speaking, we tend not to go into step by step descriptions here in public of how to do bad behavior (why in the world give less technically savvy folks a step by step guide into doing the nonsense themselves) and discuss it mroe generally along the lines of "someone stole the content of my site which ranks well to get a good ranking in Google and you can see the stolen content viewing cache" or some such.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    BTW when I read "Google Jacking of Affiliate Site" I thought it meant Google themselves hijacking affiliate sites instead of folks exploiting Google's (and not just Google) technology to steal other's rankings. My brain has a minor convulsion trying to figure out why in the world Google would be hijacking sites themselves. Lead me to actually registering somewhere just to view a post which I deplore and usually shy away from. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    BTW when I read "Google Jacking of Affiliate Site" I thought it meant Google themselves hijacking affiliate sites instead of folks exploiting Google's (and not just Google) technology to steal other's rankings.
    Actually, a completely different image occured to me, which led me to give some thought to those funny special event Google logos they sometimes make, and well, 'nuff said.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Well autolink seems to be damn close to Google doing the hi-jacking!

move to google forum?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    CAP--Sorry, I thought there was more pooh-poohing in that thread than there was. (I shouldn't post things relying on memory in the m*rnings I'll have to watch that better.) Adam Ward's link refreshed my memory...

At least I remembered about the "2 pages" right

(Moved to Google forum)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    MSN ist now also stepping in in this issue. All my MNS rankings are gone.

Roland

Can this site be screwing us up? Type in related:yourdomain and see what you get.
    I am wondering if this site is hijacking our links. They are getting their results directly off google and then forwarding to our sites. At least, I think that is what they are doing.
    http://www.findforward.com
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    MSN ist now also stepping in in this issue. All my MNS rankings are gone.
    I wouldn't be so quick to say this is the reason you're loading MSN rankings. I'm sure the search engines must be aware of this issue if we are. I doubt they'll allow this to affect the results drastically or for long. If you've earned your listings, you'll get to keep them.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down W*bM*st*rW*rld Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    What is the date of that WmW thread.

If the thread is more than 24 hours old you can't be sure that everything that was posted is still online.

Threads are sanitized on a regular basis.

Google threads in particular.

It has been so long since I have spent any time at the W*bM*st*rW*rld forums that I didn't know that posts may not last longer than 24 hours. Probably trying to save a few pennies on disk space 8-).

I know I got totally aggrevated with their moderators constant <snip> <snip> <snip> political correctness. The inability to post any URLs in messages make this an almost useless forum. Who cares if <snip> is <snip>?

Me, I want the names of the perps who are stealing and engaging in other bad antisocial behavior. I want reality mixed with some fun. ABW certainly excels in this field.

We at ABestWeb have been truly blessed to have a man as brave and honest as Haiko to run this forum.

Thanks a gazillion, Haiko !! May God always bless and protect you and the other honest people who post on this forum !!

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread