Who can explain this is a genius!
    I just run a report for a merchant that has also in house tracking system.
    It is a Comparisson of Clicks, Leads, Money Earned, Hits/Leads Ratio and EPC for both, CJ and Inhouse for this year.
    Here is the comparisson

X Merchant

Hits

#Sales

Earned

Leads/Hits

PPC 

CJ

$8,120.00

17%

$84.41

Inhouse

$15,450.00

22%
    $116.78
    If I had all links set for inhouse tracking system for this merchant ....

9620 (CJ Hits) x 116.78 (Inhouse EPC) / 100 = $11,234.24

$ 11,234.24
    = 3114.24

...I would have made $3114.24 more this year only from this merchant. Who can explain this to me? I would like to get an answer from all these people in this forum who try to defend CJ and their tracking system. Also from you Todd, if you read this...
    BTW I already switched most of the links to the Inhouse but there are only few I know with such program.

ABW Ambassador
    Why don't you switch all your links to the inhouse if they're performing better?

For CJ looks like you're doing great, 1 sale for every 6 clicks with an EPC of $84.41.
    Doesn't look like a problem.

Maybe the products you're pushing thru the inhouse have a higher average sale. Maybe they get more targetted traffic. Could be lots of reasons. Not enough to make any conclusion, but if you feel you're doing better thru the inhouse, i would switch out the remaining CJ links.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Why don't you switch all your links to the inhouse if they're performing better?

For CJ looks like you're doing great, 1 sale for every 6 clicks with an EPC of $84.41.
    Doesn't look like a problem.

Maybe the products you're pushing thru the inhouse have a higher average sale. Maybe they get more targetted traffic. Could be lots of reasons. Not enough to make any conclusion, but if you feel you're doing better thru the inhouse, i would switch out the remaining CJ links.
    All links are going to the same landing page for the same product so there is no issue with targeting. BTW if you read my whole msg you would see that I already switched most of my links but there are many merchants that do not have inhouse tracking.
    My EPC is high for this year but in the last few weeks it dropped drastically! That's when the reporting issue started. For me the difference between $116 and $84 EPC is a huge problem...

ABW Ambassador
    "BTW if you read my whole msg you would see that I already switched most of my links but there are many merchants that do not have inhouse tracking. "

I did read, if you read mine:
    "but if you feel you're doing better thru the inhouse, i would switch out the remaining CJ links."

Switch whatever CJ links you have for that merchant to the inhouse. BTW 1/6 is still great, i wish all my CJ merchants had that kind of tracking problem.

This is an interesting thread. I have one in-house merchant that performs almost equal to all my CJ merchants put together. Also, around 85 percent of my merchants are CJ merchants. I did notice that the in-house affiliate link loads twice as fast as the CJ affiliate links. It looks like there may be a relation between load time and performance.

If you wanted to completely see what percent of the difference is caused by CJ versus other factors, swap all of your links. Change your CJ links to in house links. Change your in house links to CJ links. Do this with ALL of them. Check your stats again in a week or two for the period since the change.

If the CJ stats are still underperforming the in house by the same amount, you'll know that the problem lies 100% in the tracking between CJ and the merchant.

If CJ is outperforming the in house account, you'll know that it's just a difference in traffic. The places you're currently running the in house links just have higher quality traffic.

I suspect that it'll be somewhere in between.

Some percent of CJ traffic will be impacted by parasites and link blockers. The in house program won't have that problem.

Also, there may be differences between the two programs. How long of a cookie does each offer? Does either limit you to one sale/action, or are they unlimited? How fast do each report? Many in house programs are reported in real time. CJ typically has a minimum of a one hour delay and can be up to 24 hours or more with batched merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If you wanted to completely see what percent of the difference is caused by CJ versus other factors, swap all of your links. Change your CJ links to in house links. Change your in house links to CJ links. Do this with ALL of them. Check your stats again in a week or two for the period since the change.

If the CJ stats are still underperforming the in house by the same amount, you'll know that the problem lies 100% in the tracking between CJ and the merchant.

If CJ is outperforming the in house account, you'll know that it's just a difference in traffic. The places you're currently running the in house links just have higher quality traffic.

I suspect that it'll be somewhere in between.

Some percent of CJ traffic will be impacted by parasites and link blockers. The in house program won't have that problem.

Also, there may be differences between the two programs. How long of a cookie does each offer? Does either limit you to one sale/action, or are they unlimited? How fast do each report? Many in house programs are reported in real time. CJ typically has a minimum of a one hour delay and can be up to 24 hours or more with batched merchants.
    That is a good idea Michael. In my situation though the in-house merchant doesn't have a CJ account. But, back to your idea; what happens when a merchant has a CJ account and an in-house program? There are two different cookies. I wonder who gets the commission if both are set.

It could be several things - impossible to tell from just viewing the stats youi posted. For example, the way the in-house program reports clicks compared to how we report them could make an apples to apples comparison unrealistic.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Quote Originally Posted by findawebhost
    That is a good idea Michael. In my situation though the in-house merchant doesn't have a CJ account.
    I completely misunderstood you, then. I thought you were talking about the exact same merchant.

If it's two different merchants, you're comparing apples to oranges. You can't expect two merchants to perform the same, even if they have the same products.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I completely misunderstood you, then. I thought you were talking about the exact same merchant.

If it's two different merchants, you're comparing apples to oranges. You can't expect two merchants to perform the same, even if they have the same products.
    I agree, however about 85 percent of my merchants are from CJ. Every merchant has equal exposure. Statistically I would think that the CJ merchants combined would perform much better than the one individual merchant. Maybe the in-house merchant just has a really good product. I haven't tried it yet, but that is a possibility.

Anyway, what if a merchant has a CJ account and an in-house affiliate program. If both cookies are set, who gets the commission?

Anyway, what if a merchant has a CJ account and an in-house affiliate program. If both cookies are set, who gets the commission?
    It depends on how the merchant codes it. If they're not careful, both will get credit. Ideally, the last click should get credit.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I completely misunderstood you, then. I thought you were talking about the exact same merchant.~Michael Coley
    I believe the original poster in this thread (Voloda) was indeed talking about the exact same merchant. So your advice to "flip" all the links between the two and see what happens, would be valid in that situation.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It depends on how the merchant codes it. If they're not careful, both will get credit. Ideally, the last click should get credit.
    Thanks Michael. Has anyone here done a test purchase with a merchant who has an in-house program and a CJ account by clicking on both links and seeing which account got credited? Iím sure results would vary. But, I would like to see if there are any instances where the last link clicked didnít get credit, whether it was an in-house link or a CJ link. You donít have to post a merchantís name.

I have a couple CJ merchants that have in-house programs. Iím might run a test. Iíll report back if anyone else is interested in this.

Ebay used to give credit to both, then reverse the one that wasn't most recent. They've recently changed it (presumably) to only give credit to the most recent click. I haven't checked it.

I had one merchant who had a program on both CJ and later also on BeFree. They offer a very long cookie. At their request, I switched from CJ to BeFree. I continued to receive commissions on CJ for quite a while. I didn't compare with the orders on BeFree to see if some were duplicated, but I suspect that some were.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

"So your advice to "flip" all the links between the two and see what happens, would be valid in that situation."

Actually, it's not the best experimental design, because it does not control for time.
    Better to split test: Turn all your links into dynamic links that randomly send any given visitor to CJ or inhouse (and track it).

This is an interesting thread. I have one in-house merchant that performs almost equal to all my CJ merchants put together. Also, around 85 percent of my merchants are CJ merchants. I did notice that the in-house affiliate link loads twice as fast as the CJ affiliate links. It looks like there may be a relation between load time and performance.
    findawebhost You have a very good point!
    As a matter of fact today (trying for 5 minutes now ) I was not able to open one of my merchants through CJ generated link, however I had no problem to get there by typing the URL of the merchant's website.

It is still OK if the site opens after few more seconds but if it doesn't open at all (like in my case today) then all those affiliates advertising on search engines are loosing money.
    Todd, what is your answer on this?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by voloda
    findawebhost You have a very good point!
    As a matter of fact today (trying for 5 minutes now ) I was not able to open one of my merchants through CJ generated link, however I had no problem to get there by typing the URL of the merchant's website.

It is still OK if the site opens after few more seconds but if it doesn't open at all (like in my case today) then all those affiliates advertising on search engines are loosing money.
    Todd, what is your answer on this?
    LOL... maybe the answer is the ValueClick data mining secondary re-direct on all CJ affiliates physical clicks will no longer seek out the underwear size of the clicker.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    LOL... maybe the answer is the ValueClick data mining secondary re-direct on all CJ affiliates physical clicks will no longer seek out the underwear size of the clicker.
    ecomcity Could you be more specific please and explain it to me like to a foreigner that doesn't speak english really well?

BTW I still have problem to access sites through CJ links! Anybody else has the same problem or is it just my connection? I don't have a problem to access other sites...
    I get "The page cannot be displayed" all day today.
    The worse thing is that I don't have ANY commissions posted so far!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by voloda
    BTW I still have problem to access sites through CJ links! Anybody else has the same problem or is it just my connection? I don't have a problem to access other sites...
    I get "The page cannot be displayed" all day today.
    The worse thing is that I don't have ANY commissions posted so far!
    Sounds like your connection. No problem here and sales have been steady all day. One thing I do notice though; the load time on google ads seems slow. But that would affect everyone who advertises on google not just affiliates.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Mike appears to hallucinating again.

Can you give up an AID for qksrv.net click that has a "ValueClick data mining secondary re-direct" please?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread