Thumbs up Your Opinion Wanted - Creative Sizes
    This is a general question for Publishers/Affiliates.

On our CJ Program, I find that I spend hours working on Creative that no one uploads.
    For Seasonal Creative I auto-update so no one has to change creative each month, For Discount offers I also auto-update so no one has to bother changing creative each month. However, it is the initial act of putting up a banner which I am having trouble getting more affilates to do.

So I thought I would take the question directly to you affiliates....

Please I am desperate to know what is best for you?

What sizes do you prefer?
    What design schemes seem to suit you best?

I am available to create whatever is needed, I just need to know what you want.

I look forward to your feedback!

Amanda Hayes

I like 120x60's, if they auto-update with specials, all the cooler.

I sent you a note about your data feed over the weekend, let me know if you didn't get it.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

You need to use the smaller sizes or our pages easily start looking like banner farms and get us banned.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Cool
    Sizes of tights are a mystery to me. I guess I'd prefer one that makes room for my bird.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Non-Company Branded AD creatives (ie; company URL's) tend to be more accepted by publishers in my experience.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    This is something I thought about for a while. I've known for a long time, (4 or 5 years I suppose) that banners are in general poor sellers when compared with text or product links. Evertually I realized why and its so simple. Banners are used in advertizing for brand recognition not for sales. This is how they are used in real life and are the same online.

Let's use some real life excamples. I have seen that huge coke sign in manhatten where broadway intersects 7th avenue. You see it all the time on movies that show that interestion. (If you see it, you'll know what I mean). People see that sign, and they don't rush out to buy a coke. But the name sticks with them while they are thirsty.

Here's another example, you are home watching a ballgame. Behind the batter's box there is a sign for budweiser. Whatever beer you have in your house you'll drink, but the name sticks with you when you want to buy more. These are product placements for brand recognition not for immediate sales.

Its the same on a website. You visit someone's website and you are looking for something, if you find what you want (the specific product) you'll buy that is what product and text links are for. If you see a sale you may buy (that is what the discount banner is for). But if you see a banner and came to that site for infomation then you might remmeber the brand, but probably won't click on the banner. Or if yuo do you wasn't looking to buy then anyway you probably won't.

So what I'm saying, is that for most sites, creative banners aren't a good thing for the affiliate and in general should be avoided by affiliates who know what they are doing. There are exceptions, but this is the general case. Thus merchants shouldn't waste time create creative banners that don't hightlight a specific product of group of products from their site.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Here's another example, you are home watching a ballgame. Behind the batter's box there is a sign for budweiser. Whatever beer you have in your house you'll drink, but the name sticks with you when you want to buy more. Mike
    You have a good point Mike except the Bud. (In my taste) It doesn't taste like anything or it tastes like ...
    Try the real Bud from Czech Republic (BTW they call it Budvar.) This is the Real King of the Beer!
    http://www.budvar.cz/budvar/budvar-w...odukt_eng.html

I love beer but to be honest if Bud (The US Made) was the only beer available, I would probably start drinking milk.

Text links all the way and make the landing page your sales page that you can always update. "Click here to see our sales"

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Well there is no accounting for taste. But look at it this way, why did you try bud for the first time? Probably because you saw the name somewhere. If you don't like it, no matter how many ads you see, you won't buy it.

I agree with ojmoo. I just spent the last month pulling all the banners from my site. I'm not in the business of promoting companies, to help them gain brand recognition. I'm in the business of promoting individual products that people are looking for.

Lightbulb Appreciate Feedback!
    Thanks guys I really appreciate your feedback.

I have noticed that smaller banners generally are used a lot more, and will be gearing most new creative toward this size. Actually 120x60 is already a standard size I use frequently.

Tim, I hope you got my response to your email. Glad to have you working with us.

With regards to the brand name debate, I definitely agree with you and we really try to have as many text links as possible available and all of these link to specific landing pages specifically designed to help convert sales, these landing pages even include $5 Coupons on the customers' first order.

However, the creative I am working on right now is specifically to promote seasonal promotions for your customers and our new monthly discount scheme, so I think these banners should fall into the category of sales generation not just company branding, please at least give them a chance......

But, all of these promos and seasonal discount links are available in text links as well for your loading pleasure.

Thanks for all the help.
    I always love feedback from you guys, so if you ever feel like letting an Affiliate Manager know what you are thinking, I'm your woman!

And just for the record I think the only reason I ever drank Bud was because it was free at a Frat Party and I was a broke student......

Amanda

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread