Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    39% of online users may be deleting cookies
    (New York, NY - March 14, 2005) -- Jupitermedia Corporation's (Nasdaq: JUPM) JupiterResearch announced today that, according to its recently released report "Measuring Unique Visitors: Addressing the Dramatic Decline in the Accuracy of Cookie-Based Measurement

JupiterResearch

Good article read Adam,

You can expect these figures to climb even higher as the "less than honorable" marketers/vendors/parasites find even more "unsavory ways" to get their message heard.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Even the NEToriously connected JuniperResearch can't disprove my statement in 2001. "You could fire 50% of the online advertising industry, from top to bottom, and not effect online sales revenues by 2%.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

This is the unfortunate reality of the "Cookie". You would think that with all the engineering brains out there someone could come up with a better way to track user click throughs.

A few years ago CJ was talking about using the browser serial number, but it seems that nothing came of that. I imagine that getting the shopping carts to remember id's then pass them back to the networks left with a hole bigger than they currently have.

It's time for some rapid development and replace the edible cookie.

"Eat me, I'm a Cookie"

Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    This problem
    bad for affiliates
    bad for networks
    good for merchants

39 percent sounds plausible to me. And the numbers will probably climb from there.

Fred

39% delete their cookies monthly. Most sales happen long before that. The latest Internet Retailer magazine had a study of 7 million shoppers that included the length of time from the first click to the first sale. Here's a summary:

50% within an hour
    60% within 3 hours
    65% within 12 hours
    72% within 1 day
    79% within 3 days
    86% within a week
    96% within 2 weeks

It varies tremendously from industry to industry, however, and they have a very nice chart showing the average delay by industry. At the top is infant products at 9 hours. At the bottom is golf equipment at 61 hours.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    And what percentage reject cookies immediately? This is what I observed when watching friends shop online, they reject cookies before they even get set. I forget which software it was that prompted for that, but every single cookie pops up an accept/reject box and they were automatically rejecting.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Usually you need cookies enabled to shop, add stuff to the cart.

http and a telephoto
    By the time they turn it on to shop, our referal cookie hasn't been set. Again, good for the merchant, bad for affiliates.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's something like 1-2% that have cookies disabled, so not much to worry about there, most people have cookies enabled. People who nornally shop online would have them enabled.

Just try to surf the web without cookies enabled - just try it. Gone are the days when you could go online, and pretend to beat the system by not allowing cookies. Most sites will simply not load with cookies turned off, or refused - let alone to allow a shopping cart. My experience is that you can't even get a site to load these days without accepting, at least, cookies from the originating server.

Fred

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    By the time they turn it on to shop, our referal cookie hasn't been set. Again, good for the merchant, bad for affiliates.
    Another reason our traffic needs to go direct to the merchant rather than via a thrid party cookie.

Merchant->Aggregrator communications needs to be done out-of-band. That gets rid of the qksrv.net hosts file problem - both for recording the click and the 1x1 hidden pixel for the transaction checkout.

How can you stop your site from loading if they are not accepting cookies? Can anybody tell me how to do this please I want to try this and see if my slaes conversion ratios shoot up.

Is there a script to add to the webpages that does this?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Tell you what, I always did a regular deletion of cookies before I got into this and I am not adverse to doing it now, either. I hate the idea of my movements being tracked or anyone elses, either unless of course, it makes me some money.

I figure it isn't such a bad thing to thwart the nosey busy bodies who want to set cookies, unless they are my advertisers. Then it is OK.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I wonder if Microsoft will start making it more difficult to delete cookies as time goes on. Afterall, they have MSN Shopping. It seems big enough companies have a stake in cookies to make them much more difficult for users or even parasites to delete. Then again, the people might complain that they have no control over their privacy. It's really a sticky issue.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I forget which software it was that prompted for that, but every single cookie pops up an accept/reject box and they were automatically rejecting.
    Sounds like a security setting in IE.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    How did ScanAlert collect/track shoppers for that data? Was it through cookies? This would be the most common way to collect data for such research. If so, then how would the information being cited by Jupiter impact the ScanAlert numbers? That is the whole point being made by Jupiter: the accuracy of cookie based measurements of user's activity is dramatically impacted because of end users blocking and deleting cookies.

Even if the end user is maximally deleting cookies exactly once every month, not all end users who are deleting are doing this on the exact same day and time. Nor are they doing it to coincide with whatever a website is attempting to assess. Certainly they didn't modify their cookie deletion or blocking habits around ScanAlert's data collection. Just a side note, there is 10% of shoppers in those stats unaccounted for time wise as to when they made their purchase.

ABW Ambassador
    This problem could be solved at the network level. If the networks only allow the redirect to the merchant's site if the cookie is accepted, then, the users would have to accept cookies in order to shop through our sites.

Hey, I thought cj, linkshare, sas and the other networks get stiffed here too, so couldn't they do something about redirecting to the merchant only IF the cookie is accepted.

If the cookie is rejected, then they could redirect to a page that tells them they require the cookies to be turned on in order to follow this link, followed by instructions on how to get their browsers to accept cookies.

A company I work with solved the problem to a certain extent
    by using a viral linking system that would place the code deep
    inside the registry of a user that clicked on the link. It works
    out pretty well. By the way I'm the new guy. Been poking
    around here for a few days. Glad to be here to pertake into
    the party.

I received this email today. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Hello All,

You're losing commissions due to Norton Antivirus blocking your cj.com links. I've noticed many of your tracking URL's you have for us begin with qksrv.net. These are being blocked. I'm positive though that if you switch this url to one that is not on the banned list, you'll immediately see your efforts payoff and commissions triple. You can ask cj.com for a new url which is not being blocked yet they call it reintergration. They are trying to stay ahead of Norto*n by switching urls, but it maybe a temporary fix until that url is add to nortons list.
    These are some articles to help you get a better understanding.

http://www.keywebdata.com/articles.aspx?article=10.
    http://www.stevedawson.com/article0001.php
    http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Regards,
    Richard Chu
    Online Marketing Manager
    NGC Worldwide Inc.
    rchu@ngcworldwide.com
    617-848-4257 Office
    646-270-7883 Cell

P.S. we are also on networks that are not currently being blocked and you can just replace cj's urls to the network of your choice. I can not spell these out because cj will filter this email so ignore the * s*hare*asal*e.com, cli*xgal*ore.com, and lin*kcon*nect*or.com all free to setup. Rather than fixing cj.com we would love to have your join us on one of these other networks.

The golf season is here. Being the number 1 performing sports site for cj.com last year, we'd like you make some money with us. We have proved copy that sells. Attached are new banners you may use.

Shocking stats. about cookies being deleted. That is why we only work with residual income affiliate programs which use other forms to track sales back to the referring affiliate.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I received this email today. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Yeah, I'd guess that his tracking is affected (and not just by N*rton) and he's trying to foist off all the blame onto N*rton and CJ.
    And/or he's trying to get people to jump ship.
    At least one of those places (ClixGalore) doesn't exactly have a grand rep, itself.
    Strange that a merchant would have 3 little networks going.
    Also I think it's kind of shady to sneak that message through the CJ system (at least CJ finally has the sense to block the names of the competition--it's about time!)

You can ask cj.com for a new url which is not being blocked yet they call it reintergration.
    Sounds like he's either clueless, or trying to make his affiliates clueless--you don't have to "ask cj.com for a new URL!" For months now, every new link, product link, and feed provided by CJ has used their new URLs. So all you'd have to do to dump the "qksrv.net" one is update your links.

That whole email sends up red flags to me. How has their conversion ratio been, in comparison to other merchants?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks Leader. Is there a way to correct CJ links and if so can you explain?

Yes, I would really like to know that, too. Is there some simple search and replace we can do with our current links instead of having to re-do them all?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast