Angry Joe-Jobbed
    I'm suffering my first proper Joe Job attack at the moment, probably from the people behind this scam. My host said they blocked 100,000 bounce messages this morning!

What's particularly evil is that the site in question that's probably perping this also comes with a drive-by download to basically 0wn your computer if you click on the link in the spam. Given the nature of the scam, the 0wned PCs will probably have everything of value compromised, including all financial systems. The trick is that if you visit the spammer's site in anything other than IE, it just tells you that it needs IE to work - a pretty low-key and clever way to get at Firefox users.

I'm not sure what the "response" rate to the Joe Job on my site is, but it's generated an extra 1000 hits in the past 14 hours. Past experience say that this can go on for a few days, so a simple spam run like this could potential infect thousands of PCs.. just from people clicking on the link from curiosity.

Ho-hum.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yuck. My sympathies. You wrote a hell of an explanation about the situation, very informative.

Are there any government agencies that should be notified about the potential wire fraud aspects of this site?

Well, that's the problem. It's all running off a bullet-proof server in China with no obvious leads. I'll get those details forwarded to the police though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread