Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    $3.00+ Gas
    The 76 Union station on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu is doing brisk business despite self-serve pumps selling regular unleaded at three dollars, five cents a gallon and supreme unleaded at three dollars, 15 cents.

STORY

Wowsa'!!! And I drive a huge SUV (I know - I know) that has a custom touring tank that holds 48 gallons of gas. Hmmmmm ..... guess I need to start investing in oil/petroleum stocks to offset the pumps bank account damage everytime I fill up.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Still under $2 (barely) here in Texas.

Gasoline, as a percent of my total car expenses is still only about 15%. It used to be about 10%. In the big picture, the price of gas isn't much of a factor in the cost of a car.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just done a conversion from UKú/litre to US units, and it works out as $6.16 per US gallon. (I pay 84.9p/litre).

All things are relative
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    too few 2s

Okay, so where's the affiliate program for large plastic gas station/convenience store numbers? Gotta find some way to pay for gas.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Why not go one step further and sell gas direct to the consumer over the web?

...errr...

Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Perhaps credit cards that give discounts on gas? That could be quite profitable.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Sell bikes. Or those scooters. I'll drive my car no matter how much it goes up

I still think $2 ain't bad compared to what other countries have to pay for it and when adjusted for inflation we're still paying less than years ago, something like that.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    A fight broke the other day as people were driving in for gas at 2.05 when the guy changing the sign to 2.15 says he meant to change the pump computer to 2.15 at the same time.

So customers were demanding the 2.05 price because that is what the sign said.

I don't know, I drove in after the sign when up.

Be ready for fights near you as owners can keep up with the daily changes.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Perhaps credit cards that give discounts on gas? That could be quite profitable.
    It happens over here - you can get "reward points" at certain gas stations, or some supermarkets will give you a discount on fuel if you do your weekly shop. Discounts are quite tiny.. maybe 1%-6% maximum, but people tend to go for it.

Personally, I think $6/usgal is just fine. But then, we Europeans tend to have much more energy efficient cars so the cost matters less. That having been said, the UK is the most expensive place I've ever been for fuel!

[QUOTE=Adam Ward]The 76 Union station on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu is doing brisk business despite self-serve pumps selling regular unleaded at three dollars, five cents a gallon and supreme unleaded at three dollars, 15 cents.

I dont have sympathy for any one who lives in Malibu...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

The news here in San Diego keeps talking about gas being $3/gallon sometime soon, probably by the end of summer. I guess Malibu is just ahead of the curve.

Makes me glad I work at home! I drive short distances only a couple times a week.

ABW Ambassador
    price in greece is apprx 70-85 Eurocents/litre which i assume is the cheapest in europe... in europe indeed we have cars that run with lower petrol per km/miles but however we have been used to buy cars that are less "powered" engine wise.

i myself have a daewoo kalos -now chevrolet aveo- which is 1.2lt ;-) so you can understand what my fuel expenses are.....and imagine it get tought when oil prices get higher and higher...

As I head into town I pass the local gas station with $2.11/gal. for regular gas. Next, I see a pile of hay priced at $3.00/bale. Then, I pass a horse pasture with painted ponys. Hmmm....
    ~Ernie

In BC, regular is at .949/ liter. So $3.80 / gal. I just sold my diesel which is at .90 / liter.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    Yep....gotta live in texas 2 bucks even....If we could only be more like the eurpoeans....driving little ugly cars ;-) .... we just love our SUV's too much.

$6.25 in the Netherlands per US gallon.

ABW Ambassador
    matlok thank gosh the euro is standing hard in relation to the dollar and its not getting further higher to the roof....

You know, a lot of the "price of gas" has absolutely nothing to do with what the OPEC countries are charging. It mostly has to do with the devaluation of the dollar. (prices in Europe and other parts of the world are sky high because the tax the sh*t out of it)

3.5 years ago the euro was worth 0.80 US dollars. Now the euro is worth 1.33 US dollars. That means the dollar is worth only 60% of what it used to be relative to other currencies (the ratios are about the same against the UK pound and Japanese yen). The same holds true for the US Dollar to the Swiss Franc (OPEC is based in Switzerland). The Franc used to be worth 0.63 dollars, now it's worth 0.85 US Dollars. In Francs it is worth about 75% of what it used to be.

Therefore, in "old" US dollars, a $2 gallon of gas actually costs between $1.20 and $1.50, were it not for the devaluation of the US dollar. The $50 "price" of a barrel of oil is actually $37 after conversion to Francs.

So, yes, the price of gas has gone up, gone up from $25 to $37 / barrel due to worldwide increased use in developing countries and some degree of market madness. But the most important reason gas has gone up in price in the US is because of that incredibly devalued dollar. Now why is the dollar worth so little these days? Hmmm, let's save that for a different discussion.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    i think you are completely wrong, its the opposite way around, just in europe we pay high petrol taxes or otherwise called taxes for polluting. the same happens with the swiss and all the way around.

greece has the cheapest petrol price per litre among all OLD -i dont know for the new ones that joined recently- eu countries

Greece has lower petrol taxes than much of the rest of Europe, but still much more than the the US. Europe tries to reduce personal auto use by adding 2 to 5 euroes per gallon tax on top of the actual cost, while in the US petrol tax is less than 1 USD above the actual cost. That is why the prices are so different.

But that doesn't change the fact that the cost of the fuel itself IS impacted by the exchange rate. And because it is the actual cost that makes up the majority of the price at the pump, the effect is seen even more so in the US.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    on the first paragraph you have a point.

regarding exchange rate well oil prices are based and traded on USD so there is no much change, so if the petrol goes up, you pay more and vice versa.

now when it comes to other countries and europe there are dozens of scenarios ie if the price of petrol -which is in USD- goes up and the euro against the USD gets stronger yes we pay less, but if the euro against the USD gets wicker than we pay a (lets say) exchange rate penalty.

either way you see it there are many situations and trades and exchanges and and and and i can talk for hours.....at the end we are paying -all of us us, uk, eu and so- whenever some people call it a day saying lets just inflate the dollar inflate oil prices and go home to get something with our little profits -the simple way to see a very complicate issue.

A good point Look4, the steadily dropping dollar must have a huge impact. There have been rumours for a long time that oil prices might switch the the Euro.

Ugly little European cars, eh? Funnily enough, most Europeans thing that America cans are ugly BIG cars - but it's not size that matters (!), even big European cars are much more fuel efficient.

$3 !
    Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio ?

Were holding onto $1.97 as hard as we can here...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast