Mobile, Alabama
    I have not experienced these findings, this is just an excerpt from a newsletter. I thought I'd post it here, in case someone decides they want to try the program.

Have you ever tried DVDRipNBurn for copying DVDs? Would you recommend it?

DVDRipNBurn is not an app I'm familiar with, despite the fact that numerous freeware download sites list it in their catalog. I search literally hundreds of apps every month sorting out the good stuff from a whole bunch of junk. After seeing a few mentions of DVDRipNBurn, at sites I normally respect, I visited the site directly and downloaded the file to my test system. On the applications site it promises to do all the things you'd want from a DVD ripping program with marketing materials like, "No more worries about losing an expensive DVD," "You don't even need the original to play." Sometimes when something looks too good to be true, it just might be. Read on to find out why you should steer clear of DVDRipNBurn.

DVDRipNBurn promises to back up DVDs and convert them to several different formats. It might do that. I never got that far. All the systems in my house run the Microsoft Antispyware product because I found it to be far more reliable than any of the other options. The install for DVDRipNBurn went smoothly and asked me to reboot upon completion. I almost never reboot after I install an app unless it actually won't work without a reboot, there are plenty of instances where a reboot isn't truly required. I'm fairly certain the reboot in this case was to inject some crapware into memory. Following installation I got a warning from MS Antispyware that something was trying to install the NavExcel Search Toolbar, which Microsoft AntiSpyware describes as, "Software that changes browser settings, such as the homepage, without adequate consent."

I then ran a suggested scan to see if anything slipped through during the install. Sure enough, TopMoxie and Ebates Moe Money Maker, two pop-up ad generators, both managed to slip by my defenses during the install process. A quick search on Google for DVDRipNBurn and Spyware turned up numerous instances of people finding their system infected after installing the app.

Bottom line, I have no idea whether DVDRipNBurn does what it claims in terms of DVD burning, but steer clear and find another alternative before you subject your system to crap.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Confirmation ; very poor on-screen notice and consent
    I just tested the installer at issue. The Ebates license is presented in a long (63-page) scroll box, and Ebates is first mentioned after 10 pages of license for DVDRipNBurn itself. If a user happens to scroll this far down the box, the user will learn of the presence of the Ebates license. But no heading at the top of the box (or outside the box) mentions Ebates or the other software installed by the requested program.

Can this be said to constitute the "clear and visible ... consent from the end user" that the CJ Publisher Code of Conduct requires? I doubt it. I don't think a consent can be said to be "clear and visible" if the text at issue was at page 11 of an agreement stretching to 63 on-screen pages.

It's very common
    I'm not up to date on DVD software, but this is very common on CD programs. I run a music site. I use and experiment with music software and programs for CD copying. I recommend a few to my users. I have discovered some music editing programs that are outstanding, but almost always loaded with spyware and thiefware.

I also have an anti-spyware site where I test and promote anti-spyware. So I see the devious tactics often. I guess the freeware folks feel like they need to make some money. I don't blame them. But I wonder how many of them just sucker into the pitches made by the spies and thieves without realizing how dirty they are playing. I also wonder if the obscure EULA's are provided by the the thieves or if they are composed by the freeware authors.

Do the freeware providers really know the game they are playing, or are they being duped?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread