Exclamation CJ cookie is branded as a spyware by most anti-spyware
    I have research and downloaded a number of anti-spyware software, I found CJ cookie is being listed as a spyware by most or not all spyware freeware.

Care to comment ?

Copy from http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453060855

WWW.CJ.com
    The information below provides details about this pest. Buy Online Protect your data and your PC with eTrust™ PestPatrol® Anti-Spyware:
    > Corporate Edition
    > Home Edition

> Overview
    > Category
    > Tracking Cookie : Any cookie that is shared among two or more web >pages for the purpose of tracking a user's surfing history.

>Origins
    > Date of Origin January, 2003

>Distribution WWW.CJ.com: < 0.00005%

>Clot Factor WWW.CJ.com: < 1

>Countries Affected
    > In the past three months, we have received reports of WWW.CJ.com in: >United States

>Detection and Removal
    > Manual Removal
    > Follow these steps to remove WWW.CJ.com from your machine. Begin by >backing up your registry and your system, and/or setting a Restore Point, to >prevent trouble if you make a mistake.

>Research By PestPatrol's Pest Research Center

And affiiate is the only one that suffer, coz the sale from the merchants still exist but cookie will not track for that reason.

just my 2 lousy cents!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

I believe (from the information posted above) they are referencing cookies set on the domain www.cj.com, not our tracking domains. Additionally, it suggest manual removal - which I take to mean the product does not remove the cookie automatically.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    are referencing cookies set on the domain www.cj.com, not our tracking domains.
    This Spybot Search and Destroy (Freeware) I have downloaded and list CJ cookies as spyware and remove them. (I am using the new links and encrypted ones too)

(They just detect CJ and other affiliates such clickbank or what ever).
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

And so is Spyware Blaster (Shareware)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Mainly I download the spyware to stop browser problems that norton antivirus doesn't detect. Not because of spyware.

I believe most normal user (which I believe r customers) also download anti-spyware to stop browsers problem. (not like nerd defination of spyware, hackware, dialers and etc.)

ABW Ambassador
    But todd, aren't the cookies needed for trackign still set by cj.com? Or is the system able to handle various domains as the actual cookie setting domain?

CChet

We do not use the domain, www.cj.com to track txns.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

I believe Todd is right about the spyware programs. They only try to stop tracking cookies that CJ uses when we sign into their system via members.cj.com. Why they would think this is spyware when we make the choice to sign in and do business with CJ is beyond me. Maybe they need a vacation.

The biggest problem is with Norton Firewall and Zone Alarm Firewall and others I'm sure. They assume all the CJ customer link URL's, including the new ones, are SPAM. If you use these products, none of the CJ links or graphics will even appear on the page. Not even the graphic that tracks impressions. So, not only are you not making money, but the advertiser and CJ are losing money as well.

The only way I can see to solve this problem in the future is for CJ to encourage folks to redirect from their own URL to the CJ link. I think CJ and the advertiser will favor this when they finally see that everyone is hurt by this type of software. CJ can buy new domains all day long, but if these software companies are checking pages and domain registrations, then it's just a matter of days or weeks before the new domains will be added to their live update packages.

I've read that CJ and other companies have tried in good faith to reason with these companies without much success. I kind of think they look at their product as the Internet version of Tivo. No one really wants to see ads, but no one wants to pay more to not see them either. There is not a free lunch, but it takes most people awhile to start seeing that.

ABW Ambassador
    Oops, correct, i meant commission-junction.com - which is also listed.

Which all of this shows how stupid spyware has become, in the arms race of detecting spyware, everything is spyware. When people tell me they have 400 pieces of spyware on their system, i just shake my head and try to explain that cookies are not spyware.

Chet

Lightbulb
    The domain that is detected by Spybot Search and Destroy is administrator@commission-junction.com for Internet Explorer.

I couldn't c the info on the cookies that's are block in Spyware Blaster
    They just display it as
    Commission Junction
    Commission Junction (2)
    Commission Junction (3)
    Commission Junction (4)
    Commission Junction (5)

If it's technically possible to go around this detection by using second level domain name as [name].commission-junction.com ?

Cool
    I never really know where spyware list CJ cookies, Most user believe also of deleting cookies by Internet Option > Delete Cookies which is the user's choice.

but here's a javascript source that writes cookies

// var expdate = new Date((new Date()).getTime() + 120000);
    // document.cookie="encrypted'=encrypted; expires=" + expdate.toGMTString() + // "; path=/;";

Can't the 1x1 image be used for tracking ?
    It's currently being use to report the number of times text link is display.

when the link is click , how about writing 1x1 graphic image to be tracked as well if the cookies fail .

Another better way to thwart spywares is to give publisher the javascript to place on their website to write CJ cookies which has CJ PID and the cookies is in the publisher domain name which spywares would be too busy to list all the publishers domains.

(but the awfull thought is that the advertisers cheating might also have the knowledge to clean off the PID with their cookies writing on arrival to their site but then their EPC is 0 which I would not sign-up with 0 EPC unless it's a new advertisers)

Cool
    Well I don't want to spend my time here, I going to click one by one all advertisers link and manually check the cookies if it's being written with my pid or what is this a cj cookie info (encrypted cookie info).

LCLK
    cjo!w5pb-qzkblby
    *******.net/ (edited for trade secrets and my $$$)
    S
    t8cdp7y-808019415-1111346945071-ng
    ******.net/ (edited for trade secrets and my $$$)

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The cookie is used to track RETURN visitors, I believe. You can't do that with a 1x1 pixel image.

flaw 0 EPC doesn't mean Advertisers cheat, if the PID is in their other accounts, They will have also a high EPC but the $$$ goes back to them..

Still it goes back to trusting a merchant which means they will have a Better Business Bureau which practise Better Business...hopefully and faithfully.

it's been on my mind very long ago..what really happen .. to those old 2001-2003, the business is doing rite..issues of AM doing moonlighting on their own program under their control with cookies written out on their sites did cross my suspicion...i hope they r all gone...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I used the MS Antispyware this weekend and it did not list tracking cookies as spyware. All others I have tried do.

Perhaps we should promote this on our sites?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Since MS is getting into the PPC business, this is a smart move.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread