Question: DOes shared hosting affect SEO
    I am looking into shared webhosting as my website needs are very small. DOes shared hosting affect your ranking on the search engines?

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by skunnymunk
    I am looking into shared webhosting as my website needs are very small. DOes shared hosting affect your ranking on the search engines?
    Hi, SkunnyMunk,

As far as I know, search engines care only about your pages, not what kind of hosting deal you have.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Just make sure your HOST isn't one of those stupid ones like aplus use to be and when ever a spider visits your page they add a aplus.net/~yourdirectory/indexfile

It can matter if you are hosting multiple sites, with similar content, under the same account. Search engines may look at the i.p block, but that is just a possibility.

There's a good deal of debate on this topic. I've chosen to spread my sites across several different hosting providers. Some of my sites have dedicated IP's and some are on shared IP's. My most important sites generally are on their own IP.

Ross

For what you're talking about, it shouldn't matter. If you have a lot of sites with links between them (which itself can sometimes be bad for SEO), you don't want them on the same IP or even the same C block.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I don't think it matters much unless some bone head on your shared server got an IP ban by a SE. I believe I have read that can happen, but is rare.

I am on a shared server, a few actually, different hosts, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I don't think it matters much unless some bone head on your shared server got an IP ban by a SE. I believe I have read that can happen, but is rare.
    It can and does happen. I was caught up in an IP block, along with several other affiliates. First Yahoo, then MSN, then Jeeves.....all within a two week period. I strongly suggest that anyone on shared hosting spread the risk around by using different IP's.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread