New Dell!!
    My older brother is a career programmer and is always chasing the latest and greatest computer. So I am fortunate enough to be the recipeint of his cast offs or pet projects. He got jazzed about this deal Dell had for Power edge and HAD to get one even though he doesn't need a new computer.

He decided I needed a new on. Which I do/did. He got the computer and modified the mother board and put in the latest greatest video, sound etc...

And he sent it to ME!! It is really super fast...the only reason I can tell its fast is because on start up it justs pops on, no start up screen.(I really don't do anything that uses that much resources)(hacking php is not resource heavy!).

Now I'm sitting here with this beautiful machine dreading to have to pull my old hardrive and copy/slave my old data, like setting up all my email accounts, reinstalling all my old programs.... Ugh.

Anyway I'm posting instead of attacking the work at hand.

I guess whats holding me back is that my 2 and 3 year old will want to get into everything once I start opening computers up....anyway had to share. I am geeked about the machine it is quiet .

Hope today is a good one for yous guys!

Cheers
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I contemplated the same issue only 3 weeks ago (although no-one GAVE me a new machine, I had to pay for it myself ) .

My solution was to hook them both up to a hub, turn on file sharing and just do major copies over the network. It took about 2 hours, but it let me re-organize things a bit (photoshop source files and finished files in more logical places, etc) and forced me to find where I was really storing my Outlook post files, and all sorts of painful, but good for you kind of stuff. Of course, I also had to reinstall (and find original disks for) my software, but that was also an opportunity to re-evaluat what I really needed and only install that.

The best part is that the old machine is still there, serving as a snapshot that I can get to for the next month or two as I realize that I had forgotten a authorization code, a configured user ID, or a web-page account name that was still in my auto-forms cache on the old machine. This saved my butt big time in a few cases.

And of course, when I'm really confident in 2 months that everything was really xfered, I can reinstall the OS on the old machine and use it as a local server, or (more likley) a dedicated MAME / Vpinball machine and hook it up to the TV.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

OMG I LOVE pinball on the computer. I never really went to highschool. I hung out and played pinball ...and video games...but I liked pinball better...My husband busted me playing pinball the other day...hmmmm...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Internet Cowboy
    I got tired of waiting what seemed like weeks for large datafeeds to load and process, so I got a Dell XPS Series. It is awesome. It has the RAID configuration dualing hard drives, a superfast processor and 2 GB of ram.
    You can get a switch for $50 at your local big box electronics store that allows you to use both computers with the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then all you have to do is network them or use a direct cable and transfer everything over. The Windows wizard for transferring applications and settings works pretty well.
    I use the new machine for production only and my older machine for everything else. My productivity has increased a LOT.

Congratulations Suzigeek, it's great having a new toy. I went "state of the art" about 6 months ago, when the small village I live in finally got proper braodband to make it worthwhile.

I did it with the plan of giving my old computer to my son, nominally as my "spare" I switched over via an external 80Gb hard drive I bought at the same time which I now use as a back-up and store elsewhere in the house away from my main machine. I was meaning to do that for ages.

Yes it was a real chore arranging files, emails etc. but it is worthwhile, my old hard drive had become such a mess with stuff all over the place, now I'm back on the downward slope to disarray until I replace this machine I guess.

The inevitable happened of course, about 2 weeks after being given to my son, the old machine started playing up big time (someone must have been watching over me) and of course the new machine is a waaaaay bigger magnet for a 12 year old than a cast-off anyhow, so I still have to kick him off regularly.

Like Schoaz, my productivity increased immediately and I can now juggle several programmes and loads of open windows without the danger of crashing everything like I used to.

I had the same problem with transferring files/programs to my new computer until my father gave me a couple USB Flash Drives for my birthday. They are only 128MB each, but you can write, erase and reuse them. I'm guessing these little jems will be the future replacement for CDs & DVDs
    ~Ernie

isnt there some sort of transfer wizard in xp. That would save you some headache

I don't know. I don't have a network card in my old computer....but I can scavenge one out of another older computer and try networking them instead of physically moving the harddrives.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    isnt there some sort of transfer wizard in xp. That would save you some headache
    To open the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread