Legal Entity or Evil Entity
    This has to be the best game in town and we are all sitting in the front row! I know this is being discussed in other threads but I just have to say.
    WOW

The evil that seems to permeate the affiliate industry seems to have no boundaries at all. I remember when people used to call the Internet the Wild Wild West. Well the wildness seems to have been whitled away and the big players have sat their fat asses right down in our front yards. The visibility of their thievery is clouded by the nuances of Internet tech and lots of cash to keep changing the playing field.

Now LinkShare abandons all the veils and "requests" that we comply with their new and improved system. Not only do they require that we bend over but that we also sign away our rights to complain too.

They will continue to thrive though because many who have been turning a dollar or two with them will see (with $$ blinders on) this as positive action on Linkshares side. It is spin at its best and something that is hard to beat.

Waaa Waaa we all cry, please let us make money with your network and don't steal (too much) from us, please.

The affiliate is a strange animal, hard working and hopeful, full of zest and optimistic beyond belief. Willing to take chances and see how simple ideas implemented on the Internet can come to fruition by paying real money. But there is that other side to the affiliate that rarely shows itself. The affiliate who works hard to fill a niche and reap the reward but will never reveal the methods employed. Never giving away your advantage to others is both the affiliates strength and weakness and this is what the networks take advantage of.

We really only have two options:

1) Pool resources and present a united front to all networks (not just a forum that everyone can vent in). Hire lawyers and contest every illegal action by all networks. Employ collection agencies to collect from the merchants or networks who fail to pay according to their own rules. Do not take crap from anyone.

2) Eat crap and allow the networks to continue to steal from us all.

I know that sounds simplistic but it really is the basics of what could work. There are dangers involved of course and again these are the weaknesses of being an affiliate. Revealing yourself and your money making web sites opens you up to all sorts of retaliation. But this is what Linkshare is asking you to do, lay bare all of your business and personal information and allow them to do as they please until you dis-please them. They then have all the ammo they need to easily destroy you and all you have worked for and you gave them your permission to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by zendozen
    [LEFT]This has to be the best game in town and we are all sitting in the front row! I know this is being discussed in other threads but I just have to say.
    WOW

The evil that seems to permeate the affiliate industry seems to have no boundaries at all.

...this is what Linkshare is asking you to do, lay bare all of your business and personal information and allow them to do as they please until you dis-please them.

They then have all the ammo they need to easily destroy you and all you have worked for and you gave them your permission to boot.
    Amen!!!!

Saint Peter don't ya holler, cuz I can't go...
    I owe my soul to the company store....

And that is what will happen.
    Ebudae

Quote Originally Posted by zendozen
    2) Eat crap and allow the networks to continue to steal from us all.
    Personally, I find option 1 a lot more palatable. Looking over many of those who posted, there are many who feel they have no choice but to accept any contract LS decides to give them. Are these the same folks that will bargain tooth and nail with the car dealers, or make a contract for a house with no stipulations? With the deal LS is offering, have to believe some of these folks are making obscene amounts of cash from their programs to give away their personal information so freely. Imagine the wealth of information LS can gleam from the credit reports - has to be worth something. Since they have carte blanche to do what they please with the information -- wonder what marketers would be willing to pay - and the access would be a lot easier than getting it from ChoicePoint.

Of course we all know that LS is a mature company - and would never compromise our privacy from selling (or giving away) our financial information. They have shown themselves to be responsive to issues, have demonstrated their mission to do what ever it takes to make affiliates happy and in return, offer merchants not found anywhere else - merchants love the fact that they only have one possible network to work with. And, by exclusively offering these affiliate programs to affiliates, they know that no matter what, affiliates will always love and admire what they do.

They have shown consider concern for the security and welfare of their affiliates. Why, LS was the first major network to require user id, password and a random alphanumeric code to view any reports. Looks like CJ, BF and SAS are too stupid to realize the importance of this added security. In return for this great security, we can sleep comfortably with the knowledge that all of our financial data is safe and secure with LS.

I cannot believe all of the folks that can't see the light of day that LinkShare is looking out for our best interest. With their oversight, they will rid the network of bogus affiliates and make it a level playing field for all authenticated affiliates. No papers, no service. I feel safer already - and the money I'll be making after all the bogus affiliates or affiliates that refused to agree to giving up their privacy - all for the common good, have left LS to us enlightened folks.

Wake up honey, wake up!

What what?

You were having a nightmare. Here, have a nightcap and go back to sleep. You'll feel better in the morning...

Good post!

"2) Eat crap and allow the networks to continue to steal from us all."

most likely alot will take the #2 (just a feeling from being around 3yrs).

Sad but it's true!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Actually, I think this time a hell of a lot of affiliates will dump them.

It is just too outlandish.

They have gone too far.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Yes they have gone too far, and I hope people do refuse to sign it if linkshare does not change it. I have no faith in seeing any changes, but instead this silence in the hopes that affiliates just give in. Not even an official annoucement that the issue has been delayed, the deadline is still looming.

I feel bad for the affiliates who were caught up in some Linkshare Merchant's soft spin on the issue when it first broke. How some merchants tried to peddle it as the best solution, until of course the outrage grew then they retreated hoping people didn't notice their soft sell...

Chet

Realistically, I have to hang in with LS as long as possible, because that's where my 5 top merchants are. For whatever reason (cookie munching software, conspiracy theories) CJ converts terribly for me, and I'm still in the early stages of getting things going with SaS merchants.

I suppose if this current situation does not resolve itself with a better affiliate agreement, I would have to abandon 90% of my revenue sources but I would hope it doesn't get to that point.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Well, you DO have a choice. You can sign and give them the right to access your most private personal information and distribute it to anyone they see fit to share it with. It isn't like you aren't being given a choice or something.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I have spent the day pulling links - I expect it will take a while to find them all.

And as mentioned before - there is really only one AM I am going to miss working on a particular merchant.

But ya know, somtimes things like this are good for soul.
    And that is how I am choosing to look at it.

And where one door closes, another will open!
    Ebudae

I've pulled all links for LS. At this point my account is only still open to keep an eye on the stats for clicks in case I still need to hunt down pages with LS links on them.

While I didn't have much financially involved in the decision (it would be much harder for me to pull the plug on cj at this point in my business), the more I read about ChoicePoint especially, the more I have become concerned about just what that agreement with LS could lead to.

On a 's optimistic note, the other good thing about this is that we are more likely to have our heads up as more merchants try this kind of thing and/or when "trusted" companies like Google get bought out by some data mining outfit in the future.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread