Why Google hasn't indexed my site yet?
    My site has been live for almost a month now and it is still not indexed by Google and MSN. I have seen GoogleBot among the visitors. If it is not for adsense(I display adsense ads on my site) then google crawler visited my site but somehow didn't index it.

Can you think of reason why Google and MSN wouldn't index my site? Or how long does it usually take for a site be included in Google index?

Thanks.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Can you think of reason why Google and MSN wouldn't index my site?
    90% chance it's becuse there's no/not enough links aiming at it.
    Last edited by Leader; March 22nd, 2005 at 04:31 AM. Reason: clarification
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader is right about Google. Google sometimes does not index a site until it finds three or four links leading to the site. Have you checked to see if the site is indexed using the site:domainname.com query command? This will list all the pages that have been indexed. It works in Google, MSN and Yahoo.

New Web sites are commonly thrown in what's called the Google Sandbox. The Sandbox is a delaying filter that prevents new sites from ranking well when using competitive keywords. A site does get indexed when in the Sandbox, but will not rank well.

This started in March of 2004. The Sandbox generally lasts three to six months. The effects vary from site-to-site, with sites focused on highly competitive keywords staying in the Sandbox for a longer length of time. Here's an article that helps explain this:

Google Sandbox Theories

MSN is another issue. On February 1 MSN launched its own search engine. Perhaps it has not picked up your site. You can submit your site to MSN here:

MSN Submission Page

Do you have robots.txt on your site ?

Check it and make sure it doesn't contain any "Disallow: *" or "Disallow: GoogleBot"

Nope, there is no robots.txt file.

If what Tech Evangelist has said is true, I will have hard time to get traffic from SEs in the near future.

It's getting more and more difficult to get free search engine traffic. Unless you can get a great deal of incoming links from reputable established websites, you'll just have to improve your site. I suggest getting some valuable incoming links by offering valuable information. The more value your information holds, the more likely you'll be to get traffic from Google.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib said the magic words "reputable established websites." You have to look for "quality links" to a site, which are preferably from industry leaders in your industry. That is next to impossible for most site owners to obtain. In general, links from sites that rank very well for your keywords are the next best thing. Other links do count, but not as much as quality links.

With Google's latest round of updates, link exchange programs appear to have been devalued. Also, Google posted a warning on their Google Guidelines page warning that sites who link to "bad neighborhoods" will be penalized. A single links to a site that has been banned by Google can now get your site penalized, so beware of any link exchange program where you do not have absolute control over which sites you link to. Also, purchasing site-wide links (links from every page in a site) is now pretty much worthless.

If you are having trouble finding sites to obtain links from, there are literally hundreds of thousands of free directories that offer free links. It's a little time consuming to do this, but it is worthwhile to set a goal of obtaining two or three new links each week. Here is a starter list of free directories:

List of Free Directories

There are many more out there. Just search for "free directory".

By the way, my primary business is providing search engine optimization training and support for Web development teams. I'm a newbie to affiliate marketing. I hope to learn a lot from you, and I will gladly offer advice to help you with your search engine rankings.

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Has anyone tried any of the link brokers or ExactSeek for incoming links? Thought about it but have not heard if they are worth it or not.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Get the tool that Haiko posted about here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=55471

Then come back and tell us what the 5 blue numbers in the toolbar are for your main page. As you read them from left to right, they are:
    count of your pages Google has indexed; count of links (inbound from other sites and including the pages within your site that are linked to one another) in Google, Yahoo, MSN and AOL search engines.

If your answer is 0: 0-0-0-0, then you know what you need to go do - get some inbound links.
    If your answer is different, we can analyze from there.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread