Is there a market for affiliate tagged internet kiosks in retail stores?
    I was at a TV store the other day and they had web stations setup that specifically browsed their website. I was thinking, would similar web stations have a use in retail stores to earn affiliate revenue? For example any retail store where the customers stay a while, coffee shops, lounges, libraries, etc. Or even more targetted such as a TV store with a netflix web station or any related product that the stores don't sell but could be offered in a web station. Basically a webstation would consist of a computer & monitor with a high speed net connection. Then it could be programmed to only browse one specific domain that would be embedded with the host stores affiliate ID.

This is just something that crossed my mind. What do you guys think?

Tom

Internet Cowboy
    I thought about that once myself. You see these Dell kiosks in malls. That's what got me to wondering about it. This would have to undergo some serious cost/benefit analysis, but it is a good idea.

I think it would be very affordable. Basically all a kiosk is, is an attractive stand housing a monitor and hiding a PC in the back. Combine that with a high speed connection and your set. My idea would be to rent them to small businesses. For example if you find a local record store who either wants to other a larger selection of CD's or even audio equipment through a kiosk. You would rent them one of your kiosks, customize it with promotion materials (decals) and program it with the domain they want to promote and their affiliate ID.

Now, what I don't know is how consumers would respond to these. If they actually earned money, then a monthly rental fee could prove to be highly profitable.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For example if you find a local record store who either wants to other a larger selection of CD's or even audio equipment through a kiosk.
    The problem is, that exposes the store's customer to a competitor (the competitor being whatever site they put on the kiosk). The next time those customers decide to shop, they may well decide to just use their own PCs/Macs from home!

You'll need to convince the stores that the above scenario won't happen--that the customer will still want to shop at the old store even after seeing--and using--the online one.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    You also need to consider that retail space is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.
    Having spent several years in retail management, I can tell you that a kiosk in most malls rents for thousands of dollars per month.
    I have actually thought about doing that and offering people anything that I can get as an affiliate. I am just not sure that it would pay for itself. At Christmas time it would, but in July it would be tough. You can get a kiosk for the holidays only, but the monthly rent is 3 to 5 times higher than an annual contract.

I can't imagine that Store A would rent you space where you are going to sell their customers items from Store B. It would most likely have to be in the common area of the mall.

scohaz, I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. I, as the kiosk provider, would not make any affiliate revenue. The stores would. They would use their own retail floor space to house a kiosk that earns them affiliate revenue. I would earn money by renting them the kiosk.

It would not be used to promote competitors, but instead complementary products. For example a record store might promote a home audio retailer. They obviously wouldn't want to promote a site like amazon. So it would have to be customized to promote a non-competitive business. It would also be a flexible system in that, they could easily change what site they promote or schedule it to automatically rotate merchants based on time.

And when not in use, it could be setup to run a custom screensaver that either promotes the kiosk or the store, so it would serve a purpose at all times.

It could also be used for a variety of things such as in store product registrations, warranty claims, etc.

Another good example could be any store relating to photos. Let's say a photo developing place, where they could offer to print their customers on merchandise such as clothing, mugs, etc using a service like CafePress. So customer drops off his film, orders his custom shirt prints and the store owner makes a few bucks he'd not otherwised had the chance to.

Internet Cowboy
    OK. That certainly makes more sense. That is a good idea.

I think many consumers would be reluctant to enter credit card information on a "public" computer. I could be wrong, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I worked for a hotel company that did something similar. A couple years back we installed kiosks in numerous key locations throughout the hotel property, partner restaurants, shopping centers and the local chamber. The idea was to offer interesting information about the area, sell banner space and also make a % off every sale transmitted from the actual kiosk. This meant we (the hotel) got a percentage of all swimsuits ordered, a flat fee for reservations, etc.

I was so into this idea that I forgot to ask what the guests/customers thought of it. You see, when your on vacation you want a concierge to do all that for you and when your out shopping you just aren't in that frame of mind. People also hated not being able to surf to wherever they wanted. It failed miserably, even with all belief and gusto I had for the project.

In the end I think the retail world has a similar issue. People shop online for the convenience of doing it at 3 a.m. in their p.j's. No crowds, parking and you can research competitors.

Just my two cents..actually, it was the hotel's 10k, but I digress.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread