View Poll Results: Using Datafeeds to Make Money

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always use them.

19 33.33%
  • Use them partially only to find products I want.

10 17.54%
  • Never

9 15.79%
  • Still do pages manually one by one..

26 45.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    How Many Don't Use Datafeed?
    Ok, I'm just curious to see how many don't use datafeeds and still make pages the old fashioned way, and make good money... Just wondering if it is a dying art or if I'm still in the dinosaur age?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't even know how to use them, i'm technically challenged. Do them all one by one.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I don't even know how to use them, i'm technically challenged. Do them all one by one.
    Aw c'mon, April 1st is still over a week away!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I didn't vote because I didn't see any option for anything like "occasionally".

I use datafeeds for 6 companies with SAS, but that's all. However, I promote about 150 companies across the major networks altogether.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

http and a telephoto
    Three out of the 4 options apply. No one should use one tool exclusively, but as part of the mix.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Aw c'mon, April 1st is still over a week away!"

No joke. I also have less than 1000 total pages and don't know html that good.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    TrustNo1
    You're my hero.. lol.. Glad to see I'm not the only technically challenged person around, and like you I still do pages one by one, if it wasn't for Frontpage 2000 for dummies, I don't know where I'd be, but the pages look ok and sell fine so life is good...

and don't know html that good.

Me neither, but my sites now have a better design and CSS, too.
    DreamWeaver MX2004 came with CSS templates already included. Cool huh?

i am idiot on datafeed

datafeed users make much more money , i guess

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A datafeed by itself is no longer a "magic bullet". I still would like to be able to write my own scripts so that a datafeed(s) could be used to make my site "better", even if the pages themselves did not serve as search magnets. I think a "better" site will ultimately be the "magic bullet" to keep visitors coming back regardless of the search engine follies.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The use of datafeed has always interested me. How do affiliates use datafeeds? I have a datafeed available for all our products, but am wondering if the affiliates can use part of it or are compelled to use it all. What is the procedure here? Somebody, please explain.

Thanks,
    Oasis
    KidStuffInABox
    7% commission * Datafeed * Tracking sales by phone * Auto-Deposit * 60-day cookie
    Join our program

Still trying to figure out how to work with them and rss so I can make my pages more content oriented for the search engines and I use about 4 diffrent progies along with writing my own html for my page building . lol
    Dreamie

I use datafeeds, some. Not as a RULE.

I have my own database (football cards) that populates my site and I sell a lot of cards using it. But its my blood sweat and tears (35,000 records and counting). The neat thing about my db is that I can use the records to promote items EVEN if I don't have the item in stock... My site wouldn't be much without my database although it did survive a few years without it.

The only foreign datafeed that I have had any luck with is Akiva's (sportsfanfare). I have sold a few things from it but I have much more luck when I create a static page for an individual product. I think if I took Akiva's feed and played with it some, maybe adding some content to some of the categories I would be more successful but by in large, I'm lazy...

I have to believe that those folks who are quite successful with datafeeds don't just take the feed and throw it up on their site, they manipulate it to fit their needs.. plus they have to add some content, I would think.....

There is no real difference for me in the way my datafeed sites look and the way the old ones I did by hand looked. Now, they are more error free and I can do them a hundred or more times faster.

So, yes, if they are available and usable, I always use them. What would be the advantage of going back to the old cut and paste one at a time tedious way to get the same pages?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

and make much money? ummmmm . . .

anyway, I am very datafeed-challenged, but do make small patches of text links out of them. OK, large patches.

What Ssanf said, except that I upgraded from my very first page layout. So, my feed pages actually look MORE "professional" than my oldest hand-done ones!

And now, I'm putting a decent search feature on my sites--one that's fast and relevant. The old one took forever to return results, was "kinda" relevant, and couldn't handle all my feeds.
    It'll take a while before I can hit all my sites, but I'm seeing a mega spike in CR on the ones where I've added this new search.

As for single pages, I hadn't done any for ages (although I never killed my old ones), but then I made a couple for two different merchants. So far, sales = $0! Even my old single pages, that haven't been touched in years, do better. So my opinion of single pages is now even more "BAH! " than before! When it comes to standard sales pages, I doubt I'll do another single-page, hand-done one considering the results from the last two. Now, no feed = I won't sign up.

When it comes to c*ntent (the informative kind, or commentary), that's different. I usually write that by hand (before anyone freaks about the presence of c*ntent, remember there's AdSense... ). Most content still isn't automatable, or when it is, it usually has a "noncommercial" restriction. And as long-time ABWers know, if I make a site, there IS going to be a commercial aspect to it...
    Last edited by Leader; March 23rd, 2005 at 07:18 PM.

One of the reasons I am learning PHP5 is to augment static pages with datafeeds to keep me and the spiders happy.

I really wanted the content done on a URL that I bought just for information because I felt it was a worthwhile service to offer people. Well I didn't get to it and still renewed the domain thinking it is still a good idea.

Last month I mentioned it to someone else who is interested in the subject and they did the whole site for $50, better than I could have done it because they know more about the subject than I do in the first place. Going to try to get it into DMOZ before I monetize the thing.

Some things are just worth hiring help!

I don't do much content because I always feel stupid and inadequate when I try to hold myself up as an expert on ANYTHING! There are always so many people who know more and can say it better than I that I feel foolish by comparison.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Hi All,

I'm still doing mine by hand... But I have been thinking about using DF... Could anyone give like a simple outline on what it takes to run DF?

Also, what keeps DF from being considered spam by the search engine; doen't using DF mean that there are a lot of other identacle sites like Yours on the net?

No it does NOT mean that. A data feed is just a way to insert the product links and product images into your page for you without you doing all the cut and paste work.

You choose what products and images you want to appear on the pages and it puts them there. That is all it does. You still do everything else. It can also insert the prewritten text describing the product that you get from the merchant if you want to use that but it doesn't have to. That is just an option available for you.

Ok, I see, thanks for the info SSanf,

Let me ask You this, when the search engine comes in to spider a site is there content to spider from the DF or is it static (I think that's what You call it?) and only shows when the page is loaded onto Your browser?

when the search engine comes in to spider a site is there content to spider from the DF
    Yes, but unless you include your own content and different design on those pages, then it will be like 1000's of other sites using the same feed with the same content, fighting for the same position on the search engines.

If you make your own template and add some extra content to those pages made with the datafeed's products, you will make a lot more money than just using only the default content that comes with some DF's.

Also, some pages made with some tools, won't be spider food and they will only show the content when the page is loaded onto your browser, that's why it's always better to have some content of your own on those pages to begin with.

Sal.

Still by hand mostly...has anyone used FeedLab? Any similar betas at CJ, LS, SAS?

Will it be harder to stay "in the loop" without integrating with fast-changing, short-cycle, datafeed systems?...or evolution into a two-tier system with faster "premium feeds" for some....or monetize the newest datafeeds as an affiliate "tax"?

(Quote from a recent PR)

"FeedLab, Performics' newest data feed management technology, is a flexible, intelligent software platform developed by Performics to automate and optimize data feed marketing. The FeedLab technology will help power more than 100 current Performics data feed clients and will offer online advertisers an opportunity to leverage online distribution, improve reach and ranking, and drive sales through search, shopping comparison and affiliate Web sites."

"Performics has long-standing relationships with search engines and publishers that can utilize an advertiser's data feed. For example, data feeds drive Overture SMX and Google's AdAutomator, enabling advertisers to better enhance results, content and copy. FeedLab not only scales the delivery and optimization of data feeds, but the technology integrates input from "paid search" results, search queries and third-party information to improve the relevancy of the data feed and enhance an advertiser's results."

"New data feed distribution opportunities are unfolding every day, and each publisher has different criteria and opportunities for optimization. Advertisers need a scaleable solution for data feed marketing, and FeedLab delivers high performing feeds. FeedLab improves time-to-market for a new advertiser/publisher data feed exchange from weeks to days."

No soapbox...just curious

Angry
    Edited because I checked the Perf press release and see that it's dated only March 1st. FeedLab, HOPEFULLY is a new technology, then, and not just a fancy name for the same old ulcer-causing mess!

So I don't know about FeedLab. But this is what I encountered when I got my Perf feeds set up last year, and what my mother (and me, who ended up writing as her "web host" [which is true--I do host her sites on my server so that makes me her web host.]) endured when she signed up a few months ago:

*&^&* trying to get a feed set up from them was such a huge PITA!

First they INSIST on pushing it to your server.
    Then they have PUTZES working there, who don't read when you email them with what directory to use, and who get all galled up when it's not whatever they expected!
    To top it off they cause the above frustration with EVERY merchant--no consolidated-file feeds! Not exactly something that motivates me to sign up for more merchants there!
    Days?? Ha ha ha, maybe if they actually read the email where I said which directory to push the feed to. But Nooo, they ASS U MEd my server's configuration (wrongly), causing weeks and weeks of needless delay!

So hopefully FeedLab is an improvement--I've stayed away from taking on more Perf merchants after having such frustration, so it'd be nice if they fixed their setup phase!

i use it and it is pretty easy ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast