I have noticed that several cj merchants redirect their links to a url that does not display my affiliate ID. Is it a coincedence that I also recieve no revenue from the merchants who do this?

It is no coincedence. In most cases it is just plain downright stealing.

"Honest merchant" has never been spelt "Scammer", I would drop them fast.

Anyone wanna name some names?

I

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Give some names so we can check.

Once on the merchant's site, the tracking is done via cookies, so as long as a cookie was deposited before the redirect, things should be OK?

>>Once on the merchant's site, the tracking is done via cookies, so as long as a cookie was deposited before the redirect, things should be OK?<<

Could be. I belong to one affiliate program (not at CJ) that doesn't use any identifier in the URL. And yes, it really does pay commissions. :-)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The cookie deposited upon clicking a valid affiliate link doesn't track sales...only impressions and clicks. If your visitor buys from the shopping cart of the original affiliate enabled site ( cookie set) you get credit assuming no other affiliate's ID cookie gets set during the return day cookie period. If a link within that original merchants site takes you to a sister/partner or their own coded affiliate referrer link to an outside site you get squatt on a purchase. The sales tracking requires.. not a cookie.. but actual coded HTML added to the final checkout page to report NET SALES amount back to the network. Prominent Links to outside sites are common on pages where the merchant is a shiester and seeks to re-direct your commissionable traffic to their non-commissionable partner site. Access Micro -UScomputers and even majors who display outside merchant Ad banners at top of pages take your shoppers elsewhere with no commission possability.

Many CJ and other affiliate enabled merchants ( co-op groups) own/operate multiple linked sites and pay only for sales on the one promoted by a specific network ( as in I already pay the 250.00 monthly fee and have 1500 affiliates so what about I promote your site for a fee). Example" Several Motorcycle parts -accessory -used bikes etc etc placed non-commissionable links on all main landing pages to a sister site that paid NO COMMISSIONS on purpose. Dell takes it one step further by having one site but commissionable links on 2 networks for 3 seperate programs. Click on a small business banner ( BeFree) and buy a "Home System" ( Linkshare) while navagating their ONE site and small biz affiliate gets Nada!!! Same product line but thrown into a different divisions sales cart as a set policy of diversion.

Why do you think so many affiliates lay awake at night figuring out how they can devise a so called merchant site that gets mass traffic from banners/text links and really just acts as a conduit for their own commissionable links. Whenu.com just removes the layers of hype and steals your traffic outright...the others pretend to be merchants or shopping aggregrators. Hey ..WAKE UP. The Internet is all operated on the greed principle.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread