Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Have you done a search of your domain name lately?
    Search for your domain name and get ready...

If you go to Google and search for your domain name, (just the name, no .com or anything else) you're going to get mad.

I just spent a couple of hours on Google doing some extra research, after I found out that while we're not getting that many hits to our sites from Google lately, there are a lot of cheaters listed with our .domain name.com on the search results and when you go to those site listing your whole .domain.com, there is no link to your site.

Some will have our .domain.com listed with no link.
    Some will have our .domain.com listed with what it looks a link to our site but, it will go to another page on their own site.

But they all will have our Page Title, Description, Key Words and URL listed on their pages.
    So when the search engines crawl their sites, they will be listed very high on the results, since most of the content on their pages are our Page Title, Description, Key Words and URL, they don't have any content of their own. Their pages are just Google ad's and a couple of their affiliate links related to our Key Words Content.

I could bet that many of the people like us that try to run a honest affiliate business, don't even know that they are listed on those sites, I even checked a couple of other domains names that I know what they're selling and those too are listed on many of those cheaters sites.

It's up to you if you want to go and check your domain name on Google and see for yourself, but if you're selling cosmetics, diet, ceramic gifts, luggage, etc. You better go check it out.

You may find your link on any of these three:

diet-area.com
    cosmeticsnow.info
    1st-in-americanbisque.com

There are hundred's more, but you can go find it I am already to piss off to continue and I hope that no member here are the owner of any of those domain because I won't use the name cheaters then.

If it's wrong to post those three names here, then press the delete button.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow has this gotten worse. while it seems like it would take forever, you should still report each instance to google (seems all of these have adfsense ads on them). Google doe snot allow this and will shut them out.

Wow are there a ton of scumbags. I am 30 pages deep with about only 30 individual (3 pages ) of real mentions. ARGH!

Chet

If somebody is looking for a product why would they search using your domain name? Of course if you are www.red-widgets.com then I see your point but if your are called www.myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com then why the fuss?

Surely it is the search terms for the product where your ranking should count?

ABW Ambassador
    Score one for linkshare
    http://www.inkjet-cartridges-inkjet-....biz/index.htm

Nice forced clicked that is blocked.

I am seeing a huge number from this scumbag.

http://www.whois.sc/happyvalentinesdayhoney.com

15 years and counting
    Nothing new. It's at least one year old, maybe two. I've even seen the link to the software making these kind of sites posted at ABW. I think the new version uses RSS to confuse better the SEs. They use snipset of our sites to try to rank well and make money with Google or with affiliate programs. Some don't even redirect to our sites but to merchants thru affiliate links.
    I don't think these sites are making any money but they are forcing the SEs to change their algos more often. I don't know exactly how much damage they are doing to our own sites. I'm sure it doesn't help with duplicate content. If you have a good ranking in the SEs for major keywords, you can be listed on thousand of these sites.
    I don't understand why Google let them use Adsense. IMHO it's just spam.

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Dishonesty now seems to be the norm. I did a check of 3 of my sites and was horrified.
    Even though they are totally different types of sites, the same web sites were listed on the first and second pages of my search.

Can't wait to see what Mike & Charlie have to say about this!

What Zues said.... this has been around for awhile but there's newer software out there that scrapes search results and cranks out the spam pages. There's a person on this board that promotes the software. It seems like a pretty lame way of making some cash.(to me)...

but to each his own...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

spammers
    this has been happening to me for months
    and I spent many hours sending to the offending sites..
    they even stole our site description.
    the opening phrase, it was another skin care affiliate program.
    they were spamming my domain name, which is our brand name, to divert customers to other skin care brands, I would love to tell you who it was on this forum, but I will hold back.
    in the end I reported them to ICANN.
    though some of the ads are still out there...
    they even had titles like,,,,,
    my-brand at discount prices, click here,
    free sample of my-brand, click here, then off you went to another product,,
    they make you sick....
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Wow Neil that does totally suck!!!

The sites I see seem to be scraping search results and then throwing up some adsense ads to make money. To steal the content is a totally inexusable matter.

I remember your thread about it now. I hope you've made some progress in nailing them . If you suspect/know its someone on this board can't you out them?? I think that would stop them dead in their tracks.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

i will let it go at the moment,,,,
    but their is somone around????
    its only because my new webmaster has done a great job,
    and got me back on top of them ,
    that i will leave it for now
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OUT the bastards as they refuse to ever play by any rules when they can resort to "tricks for Cookie setting tricks". Haiko promised us a Hall of Shame or a Hall of Sleezeballs to thwart the spreading of these tricksters. If your site can't pass the smell test of the majority of legit affiliates ...get outed for crapping in the commission pool.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

good things come to he who waits
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

I get 50 emails a day asking for link exchanges for these sites. This is old news to me but I am sure once you report it they will bring your site down too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get 50 emails a day asking for link exchanges for these sites
    they dont ask!!!!!!!
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

I discovered a few that are actually scraping our content and auto forwarding to another affiliate merchant (product related).

Time for me to assign somebody to take some real time and create a list for Google.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ABW Ambassador
    I even tried this DW. But google only sent me a robot answer.

roland

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I am seeing a huge number from this scumbag.
    http://www.whois.sc/happyvalentinesdayhoney.com
    whois.sc is not an affiliate, nor do they forward anything.

Fred

Angry
    I found only one strange thing in the first two pages of SERPS. The following was found in the code of the offending site, but does not show on the page and no link exists:

<b>clothing</b>, mens <b>clothes</b>, tall <b>womens</b> <b>clothing</b>, leather jackets
    <br>
    <b> </b> <b>Avenue</b> - <b>women&#39;s</b> fashions in sizes 14 to 32 <b>Avenue</b> specializes in <b>women&#39;s</b> <b> </b> You&#39;ll find men&#39;s apparel, <b>women&#39;s</b> <b>clothing</b>, men&#39;s pants, <b>women&#39;s</b> pants, fly fishing <b> </b>
    <br>
    <font class="keyword">
    http://www.mysite/myfashionpage.html
    </font>

( I altered the URL )

WTF?
    ~Ernie

Maybe they're doing the linking through the css somehow?? I'm not so up on css... still learning.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    whois.sc is not an affiliate, nor do they forward anything.

Fred
    I think chetf was just posting that as the link to their whois data. Whois.sc is just a whois service.

I read over at wmw that those sites are using a 302 redirects that can damage your sites pr,

if you have a high ranking site they will bleed it dry and eventually your sites disappear from google's serps.

google has a bug and these sites are taking advantage of it.

it sucks, some of these sites are anonymous and if you do ask them to take your site off they wont do it, and google just mindlessly follows their 302 links and gives them credit for it.

ABW Ambassador
    rmjvol, correct - I should have been more clear, I was pointing to someone i see on all my site searches, and using various domains to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by garystarling
    If somebody is looking for a product why would they search using your domain name? Of course if you are www.red-widgets.com then I see your point but if your are called www.myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com then why the fuss?

Surely it is the search terms for the product where your ranking should count?
    why the fuss?

Ok, I will tell you what I know.

Let's suppose that you indeed have a site called myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com and on that site you have made twenty pages about gift products and you have optimized every single one of those twenty pages in order for those pages to rank higher on the search engines.

Of course you're not expecting somebody to search for myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com if they're looking for a Solar Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas, right?

But, what happens if you have a page like this on your site:

Title: Solar Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas
    Description: New Solar musical gift box in pure Plexiglas imported from Italy. Special gift for a loved one, musical gift box available in different tunes & colors. Buy your solar gift at: myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com

Since you took your time to optimize that page, now that page is on the first page of Google today.

Now you know that when somebody do a search on Google for: Solar Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas or Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas or Solar Musical Gift or Solar Box in Plexiglas, you are almost sure that you're going to get that somebody in your site.

But,

if any of those sites that do what they're doing get the Google search result and just paste it on their site, the next time that Google index that people site, Google may list that people site with your content before your original site, with something like this:

Solar Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas
    New Solar musical gift box in pure Plexiglas imported from Italy. Special gift for a loved one, musical gift box available in different tunes & colors. Buy your solar gift at: myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com...
    mmm.copycatcrook.com/index20/gifts/ - 25k - Mar 26, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

And you may never even know about it.
    You will lose money.
    You will lose your rank.
    And you may never even know why.

People may not search for myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts.com but, when they click on that link they may think that they're going to your site to buy the Solar Musical Gift Box in Plexiglas, you may never even know about it.

So unless you, yourself search for myshoppingmallwithbigdiscounts on Google, you may never even know about it.

And that's the fuss, about it.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Good explanation Sal.

I've seen this many times and for many other affiliates too.

It is really out of hand. The SE including Google need to fix this soon. It's like Electropulse says, they are anonymous and they don't remove them.

Sending a C&D letter from an attorney helps, but you might need lots of $$$ for many letters. We need some type of solution soon.

Cool
    Mr. Sal you are quite right!!! All the more reason to create name branding for your site. If people are looking for your site, then it is harder to miss the order. Then real problem is that others are buying similar URLs and trying to bleed you dry off your efforts.

Then you have the SEs changing things causing more confusion. Searching for my domain on Google, you will get every ad posted for my site but my own site will be on page 4. How can that be right? And I have a good pageranking too. On every other SE, I'm number one.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast