Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Internet Cowboy
    Screensavers.com on CJ
    You will be paid .60 every time an English speaking user from your site downloads a Screensaver or Wallpaper and accepts our useful toolbar. Want banners, buttons, text links, and/or pop-ups suitable for any type of audience? We have the latest and most diversified creatives on the web!
    All we have to do is get our customer to load their parasitic toolbar and we get a whole 60 cents!!!

Sign me up!! NOT!

Do these companies think we are idiots? CJ has substantial setup fees. Whoever sold this client should be promoted to sales manager.

Dosen't this fall into line when CJ allowed 180 solutions to be a publisher?

O' Poop
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    All we have to do is get our customer to load their parasitic toolbar and we get a whole 60 cents!!!

Sign me up!! NOT!

Do these companies think we are idiots? CJ has substantial setup fees. Whoever sold this client should be promoted to sales manager.
    scohaz:

Well, have you seen the prevelance of their God-forsaken leaderboards and skyscrapers all over the Web? Clearly, there are plenty of idiots out there gleefully asking their users to download a parasite in exchange for a bit of change.

Sad? Yes. True? Sadly, yes.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

It's always a tough call when reviewing applications, nice focused site...eek banner promoting a Screen Saver download (or worse). Time to reach out and try an educate

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Wow. Linkshare drops 180 Solutions. CJ picks up Screensavers.com. Do I sense a shift going on?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Just curious, I don't have a machine to infest - anyone know what screensavers.com includes in their payload?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    From their site:

When you download a screensaver or wallpaper from Screensavers.com, you might see a promotion for one of Screensavers's award-winning software products, like our AdZapper pop-up ad killer, our Privacy Manager that helps you surf the web privately, or our Screensavers Toolbar that gives you one-click access to the web's best search engines. You are never under any obligation to try these products.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Wow. Linkshare drops 180 Solutions.
    When did that happen? Is it really true? If it is I am moving a LOT of my links to Linkshare. I have had about all of the 180/Zango bunch that I care for.

Here's the thread about Linkshare dropping 180 Solutions:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56192
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It is our understaning that Screensavers does not bundle any adware or other software applications with their product(s). If they did bundle software or if their product interfered in affiliate commissions, we would not let them be an advertiser in the network.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Internet Cowboy
    So LinkShare has terminated 180 from their network. How interesting. It is not the end-all move, but it sure as hell is a huge step in the right direction.

Hey CJ, are you going to follow suit or are you still going to claim that you need more proof? A positive response to this from Todd would keep me from moving a lot of links to LinkShare.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    It is our understaning that Screensavers does not bundle any adware or other software applications with their product(s). If they did bundle software or if their product interfered in affiliate commissions, we would not let them be an advertiser in the network.
    With all due respect, it is also your understanding that 180 Solutions and Ebates do not interfere with affiliate commissions. That notion is just plumb silly with as much concrete proof as there is of such activity.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Wow. Linkshare drops 180 Solutions. CJ picks up Screensavers.com. Do I sense a shift going on?
    Someone must have misdelivered the crack that was supposed to go to NY, and somehow it ended up in California instead?

It is our understaning that Screensavers does not bundle any adware or other software applications with their product(s).~Todd
    Spin... the method of toolbar delivery isn't the issue.

So the toolbar isn't "bundled with" their product. Big deal!! It's still a software, and one they're willing to pay 60/per to get people to download it!
    The issue is, what's that toolbar doing?!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi scohaz

Yes they have I have it confirmed from LS directly, so I guess it's down to CJ to follow the lead of the majority here, getting rare to find a good network that will work with 180.

Kellie I imagine you'll be giving them a play but

You are never under any obligation to try these products.
    So they don't install on the fly? I mean a BHO that installs on the fly and then says "are never under any obligation" is a little ...hmmmm iffy

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    "If they did bundle software or if their product interfered in affiliate commissions, we would not let them be an advertiser in the network."

Advertisers who interfere with affilate commissions not allowed in network.
    Publishers who interfere with affilate commissions allowed in network.

It is our understaning that Screensavers does not bundle any adware or other software applications with their product(s). If they did bundle software or if their product interfered in affiliate commissions, we would not let them be an advertiser in the network
    Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go.....

It says you may see a promotion for one of their software products. If you don't know for sure, then you check.

Advertisers who interfere with affilate commissions not allowed in network.
    Publishers who interfere with affilate commissions allowed in network.
    LOL Trust, you must have finally eaten some lunch today.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    Please cover my direct observation of the crapware I've had to remove from multiple client systems downloading the FREE versions of screensavers.com products. Those products are syndicated to any sleezebag affiliated enity willing to split infestation fees with the so called squeeky clean parent company. Please Todd explain to me in the framework of the 2005 Spyware/Adware/Info peddling legal issues environment, and CJ's tainted history with FREEBEE merchant fronts, how this enity adds any lasting value to your network....beyond their paying the entry fees.

I dare you Todd, on your home personal system, to install the free version of the front page ... Animated Aquarium ..This exclusive animated 3-D screensaver features colorful underwater life, exotic fish that swim by, and realistic ocean sounds with bubbles! They try and get rid of it's payload with a combination of Ad-Aware -SpyBot S&D -Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and Norton Anti-Virus. When your tearing out your hair after spending hours surfing the web with that $0.60 cent lead fee jewel (CJ makes $0.20) with popup -unders -messenger spams and BUY ME alerts you'll get educated. The real education comes when the reminents (Bye Bye screensaver) trash your broadband connection Winsock and backdoor trojan re-installs finally dwindle down to a load of just WhenU -Gator -nCase and multiple competing search bars.

Now remove this truth to protect your $0.20 cent cut. I've spend days rooting out www.screensaver.com freebees.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Need to get a test system again, soon... but till then, anyone try it? What do you get? I am in no way saying this a good thing or to promote it, i am just trying to figure out its payload.

Chet

Chet,

I installed and started looking at it last night. Also about to send you a pm.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Remember Ms.B to give the results a weighted review on the ones targeting Children and minors.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    Kellie,
    Can you post your findings here? If not, will you send me a PM?
    Thanks
    Scott

I'm not sure what Kellie's intentions are, but I would recommend that she document everything, report it to CJ, give them time to do their own research to confirm her findings, and then post her findings here. If she posts her findings here first, ScreenSavers.com might clean up their act before CJ can confirm what they're doing.

BTW, Mike, CJ's cut would be $0.30 per install, not $0.20. CJ gets a 30% fee on every transaction with a $0.30 minimum. 30% of $0.60 is $0.18, so the $0.30 minimum would apply.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Todd said:
    From the CJ Advertiser Detail Page for Screensavers.com:

You will be paid .60 every time an English speaking user from your site downloads a Screensaver or Wallpaper and accepts our useful toolbar
    So now I'm confused. It seems CJ's Advertiser Detail Page says itself that their screensavers and wallpaper come bundled with a toolbar. I don't believe a toolbar is the same as a screensaver or wallpaper. Does CJ have it's own definition for 'bundled' that we may need to understand?

And what the Advertiser Detail is really saying is that you aren't getting paid squat for downloading the screensaver or wallpaper. What you are getting paid for is downloading a toolbar!

Just FYI. Screensavers.com was acquired by CometSystems Inc and is a division of FindWhat.com

Internet Cowboy
    Linkshare heads down the high road while CJ takes a sharp turn down the low road.
    Comet says it all. No other explanation necessary.

I really don't care if CJ has an advertiser in their program offering a 60 cent commission to get your shopper to download a parasitic app. My whole point in starting this thread is that what affiliate marketer in his/her right mind would be stupid enough to help the spread of this, especially for 60 cents. Offer $25 and some would sell their values for a decent reward, but 60 cents?

I guess there are some newbies out there who don't understand the ramifications of this who might sign up. Let's just hope that their sites are insignificant enough for it not to make a noticable difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast