ABW Ambassador
    Ebay Question
    I still can't figure this out. LOL I get lots of dimes and just a few $20.00. How does this work? Are the dimes from people who are already registered with Ebay before they click on my link and bid? Are the $20.00 from people who click on my link, want to buy the item, are not registered with Ebay and then register and bid from my link? I am soo confused?? I am surprised at all the dimes. So many people who have already registered? Or are some of the dimes from the same person who will go back and bid again on the same item when someone outbids them?

Yes, the dimes without registrations are from people who are already members of eBay and are bidding on items or doing a Buy It Now.

When somebody registers through one of your links, you usually see three entries:

(1) Registration
    (2) Active Registration
    (3) A Bid or Buy-It-Now

In order for a Registration to become active, the person my bid or buy-it-now. eBay has plenty of sellers, but they need us to keep driving the bidders to their site. That's probably why they keep raising the pay-out. It's getting harder to find people without an eBay account, buy they're out there.

If you use SID to code you links, it will be easier to see the three of them together. Another way you can tell is by downloading your reports and opening them in EXCEL. then you can see the click date/time of each transaction and match them up that way. Also, look at the Order ID column. The first number identifies the bidder, the second number is the Ebay Item Number. With that information you can actually go to eBay, type in the item, match up the bid time to the Event_Date and figure out who made the bid and on what they bid. If you sort on the Order ID column, you can see return visitors.

I merged together all my reports from last year, and can see trends of the same person coming back over time to the same page and bidding month after month.

Remember, eBay already has millions of members. So it is common to see a lot of Bids and BINs. That's why I like using the editor kit to list all of the items available for a subject. I also code my links to open in a new window. It is not unusual for somebody to go down the list and BID/BIN on several items in one sesssion. It's a lot easier than going to eBay and running their own query because when they get a list there, they have to keep hitting the back button to get back to it. Also, encourage people to bookmark the page and come back each week to see what's new.

Those BIDS/BINS add up. Last year I netted $3,736.55 in BINS/BIDS (including bonuses). Of course, I prefer the Registrations, which netted $11,559.

My sister sent me an article about eBay from the New York Times (March 6, 2005), it says: "eBay has 66 million registered users in the United States and 135 million worldwide ..."

Don't let that discourage you. People register via their email address, and those change a lot. Sometimes they forget they have an account, can't remember their password or which email address they used ... whatever.

The point is, that a lot of times, people are looking for something that can't be found anywhere (because perhaps, they don't make it anymore). Most people don't think to themselves, "Let me see if somebody is selling it on eBay." But if you have a page for the item, with all the current eBay listings via the Editor Kit ....

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    I also code my links to open in a new window.
    Wow Tracy, Thanks so much for all of that great information. You really helped me a lot! Is there a way to automatically code the Ebay links to open in a new window the way you can through the cj interface or do you need to do your own code?
    Thanks again!

Here's the script (from the Editor Kit) I use for all my eBay pages. Sometimes I have to work a little more on the search string. But here I've Used Blue Widgets as the search term. I had to delete the beginning script language="javascript", otherwise it showed an eBay list.

Code:
    src="http://lapi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKServer&ai=o%7Ftctusp%7D%7D%7E%7E%7F&prvd=1&track=999999&srchdesc=n&si=&catid=0&minprice=&maxprice=&endtime=y&numbid=y&width=540&height=0&num=200&popup=y&query=Widgets%20Blue&hdrcolor=FFFFCC&bdrcolor=FFCC00&fs=1&fntcolor=000000&title=Widgets+Blue&siteid=0&sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc&img=y&sid=WidgetsBlue"
    popup=y is what causes the links to open in a new window. If you set this to n, then the person will be taken from your site directly to eBay.

track=999999 is my CJ Affiliate ID

srchdesc=n tells it not to search the listing description; you can change to y if you want it to search descriptions.

catid=0 is the category number. eBay has a bad habit of rearranging their categories. Last year when they did it, it created quite a nightmare on my site, so I've learned to just search their whole site. For instance if there was a category #8734 for Widgets, I might use that as my category, and then only search for Blue. But if eBay changed category numbers on me, then it wouldn't work any more. Better to search the entire site and include "Widgets" in the search string. Also, sellers often put things in the wrong category.

num=200 is the number of listings to show. The max you can set this at is 200. If there are only five listings, then that's all that will show. I always set at 200 just in case to encourage going down the entire list to see everything available.

---------

Say I'm doing a section on Widgets of different colors. I would make the first page MyPageWidgetsBlue.html, and once I got it working. I will save the page as MyPageWidgetsRed.html, and then just do a Search&Replace changing all occurrence of Blue with Red. And then I would repeat the process of Yellow, Green, etc.

----------
    When your search commands aren't as cut and dry as Blue Widgets, then this page is very helpful in figuring out how to set up search strings:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/find/search_commands.html
    When you have a complicated search string, it is better to use the Editor Kit so that the escapes are placed correctly.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks again Tracy. You really helped me.

There is another way of doing "popups". Some people have popup windows blocked, which can sometimes gag javascript invoked popups that the person really wants. Nothing more frustrating then to keep clicking on a button and watching nothing happen.

Within an anchor tag in HTML, you can add the parameter:
    target="_blank"
    This tells the browser to open the link in a new window or tab, and circumvents popup restrictions.

Yes, but in order to get the Editor Kit listings, you have to use the java script. How exactly would you convert the java script to html and still get the eBay listings to appear?

Yikes! That's probably why I turned down the Edlitor Kit, and instead us the Flexible Destination Tool. But then again, I'm the kind of person who wouldn't use FrontPage but instead would hand code HTML.

Since starting browsing web pages with palmtops, I've become a real hater of Javascript. Most things people do with it, such as mouseovers, can be done gracefully with CSS. Javascript just excludes too many non-mainstream browser scenarios.

I don't mean to be flippant, but aren't you cutting your nose off to spite your face?

If you use the Flexible Destination Tool, you are sending a visitor to one page at eBay. If they go to that page and bid on several items, you only had one click to the page, so you will only get one dime.

On the other hand, if you use the Editor Kit, you can provide a list of items for sale for a specific search term. Chances are better that somebody will go down the list and click/bid on more than one item, thereby increasing your earnings. Every day I can see in my reports were one visitor will make bids on several items. Instead of making just 10 cents from that one visitor, I make between 20 cents and a dollar.

Even though you browse with palmtops, I venture to guess that the majority of visitors to your site do not. Your distain for javascript could be limiting your income.

I'm not running a commerce site, I'm running content sites. The links and ads need to be barely perceptible so as not to take away from the content. The revenue is primarily to defray hosting fees, if it makes money, so much the better, but not at the expense of the user's experience. The Ebay links are a courtesy to help build community; to be perceived as useful as well as informative. A lot of links are not incented (USPS shipping boxes, for example). If I'm running Ebay banners I'll scare the user away.

Links
    Is it allowed that you use your own graphics not ebay banners and link it to ebay page using the flexible destination tool with your PID on it?

Example i have my own set of pictures like cameras, mp3 players. Can I display this pictures in my website and link it to ebay pages?

Thanks.

Absolutely. I have lots of pages where I show pictures of the items or line of items and provide links to merchants that sell them as well as the eBay Editor Kit lists. A couple of pages I have display pictures of my own collection of item(s). If you prefer using the Flexible Destination Tool instead, that's cool too.

What you can't do is promote your own eBay listings. For instance, if you are selling the cameras on eBay, you can't link directly to your sales using your PID and get credit for bids/registrations.

Scott,

If you're providing the links mainly as an informational resource, then obviously the Flexible Destination Tool is better for your purposes.

Most people look at my site, and classify it as a content site. I would classify it as a commercial site, myself. However, I guess it is the informational way I layout my pages. I have received quite a few thank you emails from people who were looking for things and the only place they found them were in the eBay editor kit listings on my site. In these cases, my visitors appreciated the ease and convenience of being able to easily find exactly what they were looking for.

My site is my primary source of income, so I have no qualms about earning as much as possible for my hard work in providing the information to people.

Tracy
    Thanks Tracy.

I want to show you my website. Would you be so kind to e-mail me at mdaisy@rogers.com so I can tell you my website.

Thanks again.

Okay ... just sent email.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread