The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Lightbulb Banners
    I want to start a discussion. Here's the question; Do you think it is important to have a banner of your page for your page? I don't mean for link exchanges, and I don't mean from a merchant. I mean you have an affiliate page, do you think its important to create a 'pretty' banner and put it on your page? I have come to the conclusion, that every page in my site, must have a banner on top with the name of my website with a catch phrase describing what the site is about. I think this is particularly important on content pages.

Has anyone else given this any thought and if so how much importance do you give to your own banner on your own pages?

Mike

I certainly have a logo "banner" on each page of my sites, as it drives brand awareness for my properties.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I never put banners (468*60) to my sites, on my own sites. On sites I've put my own logos on, I intentially use off-sizes (not too weirdly sized, just not the size associated with "outside" banners) so they don't look like they're someone else's ads.

That said, I've found that it doesn't matter what kind of graphic I have up there, as long as there is one of some sort. If I use a merchant banner, or a logo, the CR is unaffected. The only time I see bad CR effects is if I put NOTHING at the top of the page.

So I think that a sense of pride is about the biggest benefit of using my own logo on my pages instead of just slapping up whatever the merchant has. I really like some of my logos, but I often wonder if the customers consciously see them or not...

For a real branding effort, I think putting your logo on your own site would need to be part of a larger CPM-style banner campaign. I think if ads were showing elsewhere, too, an on-site logo would help create continuity and reinforce the message. But *just* having them on the site, with no other ad campaign going? Logos are nice to look at, but I wouldn't expect much from on-page logos alone...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    ... I really like some of my logos, but I often wonder if the customers consciously see them or not...
    I think that after the customer has seen the logo enough times it is more likely that they see them subconsciously. Remember the 70's poster that looks like the Coca Cola logo (same color and font), but says "Cocaine". Subconciously the view sees "Coca Cola" at first.
    ~Ernie

some of my newer sites are just plain vanilla, hardly any graphics at all. right now the domain name is at the top and is a link from all pages back to the index page. I might put together a banner to replace it for branding purposes some day.

Speaking of Banners, do consumers like them or is it better just to have text descriptions? I have heard the phase banner farm tossed around here. Some of the search engines don't use banners.

I know what you mean about becoming blind to the banner....thats one reason I like to go to Google, sometimes I just want to see what they have new with their logo!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    I think that after the customer has seen the logo enough times it is more likely that they see them subconsciously. Remember the 70's poster that looks like the Coca Cola logo (same color and font), but says "Cocaine". Subconciously the view sees "Coca Cola" at first.
    The hitch is, how many times people had to see the regular "Coca Cola" logo before they'd automatically make that association. And, their logo is in many, many places. Therefore I think that getting your logo showing in other places as well as on the site would do more, from a branding perspective...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread