Consumers Spooked By Identity-Theft
    Millions of consumers are switching banks and avoiding online shopping out of fear of having their personal data stolen by crooks and used in fraudulent activities, a research firm said Thursday.

Fully 6 percent of U.S. adults surveyed by Financial Insights said they had switched banks to reduce the risk of becoming victims of identity theft. In addition, the Framingham, Mass., research firm found that 18.3 percent of consumers had stopped shopping online for the same reason.

Translated into numbers, those percentages account for 12 million and 40 million adults, respectively.

The steady stream of media reports on identity theft has contributed to the fear among consumers, along with recent high-profile cases involving Bank of America and information gatherers ChoicePoint Inc. and LexisNexis.

The study, however, does not indicate whether people who have stopped shopping online would eventually return. In 2004, consumers spend $117 billion online, a 26 percent increase over the $93.2 billion spend in 2003, according to ComScore Networks.

"It's not necessarily black or white, when you're doing a big survey of consumers," Financial Insights analyst Sophie Louvel said. "But these statistics do show that (fear of identity theft) is impacting customers, and banks and retailers need to do something about it."

Both industries could do more to make online transactions more secure and develop better methods for verifying that people conducting transactions are who they say they are, Louvel said.

"The best defense is to be able to prevent a thief from actually using the data once they secure it," Louvel said.

Banks, in particular, may want to consider providing free services to help victims deal with the aftermath, such as correcting credit reports that may list the fraudulent activities. Recovery services available for a fee, such as Identity Theft 911, could act as models for the banks.

"They can be more proactive with identity-theft services that help victims recover," Louvel said.

Banks are beginning to look at helping identity-theft victims. BITS, a nonprofit industry group comprising 100 of the largest financial institutions in the U.S., is testing a pilot program that helps victims by streamlining the recovery process.

Source: TechWeb via Yahoo!

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    The steady stream of media reports on identity theft has contributed to the fear among consumers, along with recent high-profile cases involving Bank of America and information gatherers ChoicePoint Inc. and LexisNexis.
    And consumer fears are further fueled by scare-tactic advertising by banks, insurance companies and credit reporting services.
    ~Ernie

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The key is the financial community and Info vault perveyors like ChoicePoint/LexisNexis take a stand like Westlaw and others. Make it a cut and dry rule only law enforcement agencies can get any access to Social Security Numbers in any info peddling/sharing scheme. With 33 million weekly Phishing e-mails placed in in-boxes efforts must be taken to protect one KEY eliment ...your SS#. No enity should ever sell or share a SS#s with any marketing operation under any circumstances without actual signed written permission from the SS# holder.

PS; thanks to GWB anyone caught using the Net for Identity theft get a mandintory 3-5 federal prision sentence added to any State charges. No lawyer or Judge can skirt that one. 3rd World ID theft perps using deceptive spam + phisher sites and the affiliate underworld or lead fee info peddlers should call for harsher treatment. Basically requiring the IAB and DMA joint membership create a reward fund paying out PayPal cash to mercenary/assassins types, using secure anonamous means, for anyone whacking a ID theft ring member. Cash Bonuses given for bombing ID theft ring headquarters and terrorist run cyber cafes.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

You want the US Government to pay average Joe Blow citizens to commit terroristic acts that can kill innocent men, women and children bystanders along with those you disapprove of?

Mike take your meds. It's time, now.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Smile spell binding retort....LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    You want the US Government to pay average Joe Blow citizens to commit terroristic acts that can kill innocent men, women and children bystanders along with those you disapprove of?

Mike take your meds. It's time, now.
    SSanf if you misread the fine print..... "Basically requiring the IAB and DMA joint membership create a reward fund paying out PayPal cash to mercenary/assassins types, using secure anonamous means, for anyone whacking a ID theft ring member. Cash Bonuses given for bombing ID theft ring headquarters and terrorist run cyber cafes."

The IAB is the Internet Advertising Bureau and the DMA is the Direct Marketing Assoc. Neither of which are US Government agencies. Easy to confuse them with government types, as they do have weekly luncheons and Adwhore lobbiest sponsored nighttime parties for the Capital Hill politicians and passout "under the table money" like drunkin sailors. My word choice images go just beyond parady with ironic messages earning me the "Master Baiter" title in the old ABW.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'll shorten the irony of the message....

The IAB/DMA pass more identity theft information through their members then beer passing through a Port-a-Potty at a NASCAR racetrack.

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder if Mike's new fans will jump on the bandwagon and call for more paid killings...

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    then beer passing through a Port-a-Potty at a NASCAR racetrack.
    Now that puts it in terms I understand.

I just take half my average (I drink more than most) and multiple by 100,000. Whoa! That's alot!

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

OK. I see you just want somebody to pay average Joe Blow citizens to commit terroristic acts that can kill innocent men, women and children bystanders along with those you disapprove of.

Do you think they would pay to kill off people I disapprove of along with the innocent bystnders, too? Should I start my list?

Wait! I can use the same list that I have of the people I intend to bite if I ever get rabies.

I think Mike can go ahead and start his biting, now.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Jeeze SSanf I was just pointing out even the most draconian laws in the USA for identity theft peddling perps will have no effect on the 3rd world ID theft practioners. They buy or perloin this info and flip the bird to their victims and p*ss on any laws as they countfeit passports, Drivers licenses and open credit accounts via the internet, and local willing partners, to the tune of 6.4 Billion in just USA dollars last year. Un-checked that will double this year. I believe in equality. Why should stealing my complete ID bring in 1/5th the price on the underworld market, then the stealing and selling a Muslim American's complete ID. Not all this ID theft is tied to a money motive.

Just how do you propose to curb and punish ID theft as it moves offshore like spam, Credit Card theft and telemarketing without resorting to hired assassins getting the message across the seas.

Well, personally, I am in favor of international law and cooperation between states and peoples over hired assassins. Of course, that takes time and diplomacy whereas terrorism takes much less time, cost, skill, effort or brains.

But, I have a feeling you don't think humankind can be ruled by law and diplomacy. So, just get yourself one of those really cool Ninja outfits and go to town. Let the jungle rule!

Now, what was it that made you think you are somehow better or more worthy than the Muslim terrorists? I forget. And, I don't really see the distinction between what you propose and what they do.

Never mind. Don't answer. You could get us both booted. If you want to answer that use a PM.

I hope you aren't serious that you would like that because if it is OK to hire assassins to do them in, it is just as OK to hire one to do you in or me or Haiko or anyone a person has a gripe with.

SSanf you refuse to see my real point to cure ID theft, which was simply restrict anyone in marketing access to an individuals SS# via the normal info peddling sharing routes. No one outside law enforcement, without written permission, should have access to this key ingredient to facilitate Identity theft.

My pounding home this cry for new laws and protective measures pointed out existing criminal penalties that are moot when dealing with 3rd world ID theft entities. The most sought after and highest priced identity theft victim is a law abiding Muslim citizen in any free country. Quadruple that for one from the US or Canada. To further pound home the futility of these laws, without muzzling those who make money by peddling privacy info, I used some irony to point attention to the ID theft monetizing sources who rule the existing affiliate industry..... the IAB and DMA membership.

Wouldn't it be ironic, in the extreme, if those monetizing the unsafe storage or passing of ID theft information were called upon to FUND the elimination of some of the ID thieves via a bounty hunter fee for those operating outside the reach of law enforcement. Sometimes the only way to get the urgent message out to the criminal underworld in their safe havens is to present them with a instant death option from those who'd profit from their demise. That truly is a bounty hunters option similar to enduser choice.

Don't blame me if God chose this very option 2005 years ago to get the message out to the entire World. They weren't buying it till after the Crucifixion of his only Son whom he could have saved from a horrible death to drive home the purpose of his short life on all of us to this day.

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a job you might enjoy Mike. Rent a van, pick up the elite Cyber Units in the 3 states you donated shopping sites too, pick up Donuts and you can have Duck & Donuts ID Theft Hunters.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Of course, if Mike could convince his buddy Bill to lock down Windows properly, a lot of this would be moot.

Mike you are still talking about the killing of people you don't agree with. You asked me what I would like better and I told you.

As for the example of the methods of your particular deity, well I never thought too highly of them, myself. But then, I am not of that religion, am I?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread