Trust a merchant on a network, or with a in-house plan?
    Hi again,

I was getting everything prepared to start my affiliate program (CREATING a niche PRODUCT that should go well with my current stock of goodies.) I was wondering what is more appealing to the mass' . I have joined in-house programs (I guess thats what you would consider the ANDY affiliate programs) and network programs, I have had money come in from both avenues,.

I am looking to save the most money, but if that means coming up short on service and taking care of my affiliates than I will shell out the money that is needed. My main focus is to have a personal relationship with my affiliates, preferably a one on one basis with my affilaites, to do so, I Will limit the amount of affiliates that join in. As to how I will determine what criteria the affiliates will have to match is unkown at this time, but I want a close relationship where affiliates will be able to call me personally if need be if they have any problems or issues. This may seem like a dream, a fantasy, a waste of time, but if there is even a gleam of light that shows this can be possible, i would like to take the leap.

with that said. I have glanced over options as far as starting an affiliate program. This is what I have found..

Oscommerce has a contribution called oSC Affiliate Pros, its free, meaning I can offer a higher commission cap for my affiliates. Cons, well, its in development although most consider it stable, it will require that both the affiliate and I work out any kinks, which really will fail or succeed depending on the affiliates patience and trust in me.

In House. I got a private message a while back (before the message board had its face lift) from a in-house affiliate manager that offered great service and great rates. ((Hello miss, if your reading this, please resend me your information...please.)) Pro's? Con's? Dunno, I have no experiance in there software nor there practices.

Networks, I find share-a-sale the network of choice as of late (Correct me If I am wrong) .. Pros, I guess that would be the fact that they handle the software, they already have a following of willing affiliates etc etc..
    cons, hmm... I guess that would be the fact that there is a threat of parasites, baddies and such that may go on for weeks, months years, unseen.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.. One thing you will find out about me is that I speak from the heart, even if that means my voice goes against the grain, I'd rather you know my intentions than to have to assume my intentions, it seems to save alot of time. I am brutel when it comes to speaking my mind, thus i am brutely honest.. I cannot spell worth a shit, I do not know it all, and I am open (not meaning that those things will be approved, but I will lend an ear to hear you out) to any suggestions that would better the business and its partners(you).

My company and what It offers? well, as soon as the rest my stock is sold, i will be revamping the product offerings to actually offer REAL Unique gifts,
    meaning, I will offer things like carnivorous plants for gifts of love (you know, the hell with roses, give your loved one a friggin dozen Nepenthes.. ) I want every one to have fun marketing the products offered, I am building up relationships with distributors in china, the U.S. , canada, india for various products that are both weired, crazy, and just plain fun, to ensure that I can provide something new or at least seldom seen in the art of gift giving. So far localy the sales have been great, online sales are there, but nothing to write home about. well, enough of me rambling on.. please tell me what you think, if you are a AM, please pm me your credentials, .. but most of all, tell me what I can do to better serve you.. I want to nip the kinks in the bud b4 the affiliate program goes live (if possible).

there are only 2 things I will not do..

1) Give up... (if your reason for a comment is to deter me away from doing what I believe in.. then your waisting your time.. I have lost to much to give up now.

2) suger coat my intentions. If I say, hey, today i'll be painting mustaches on the asses of red assed baboons... then by golly... that IS what i will do., no hiddin intentions, no beating around the bush... I'll be doing just that...

p.s. if you currently market ... lets say.... meds, please gear your comments to the subject at hand.. I pretty much do not want this conversation to stray from its initial purpose and focus.

ok. let the hazing begin.

Internet Cowboy
    SAS is the best deal out there right now from the merchant perspective. Make sure you offer a datafeed and make sure you sign up for auto-deposit.

I second scohaz, especially signing up for auto-deposit. Offline merchants are the pits! I just dumped another one today.

Good luck!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting
    >My main focus is to have a personal relationship with my affiliates, preferably a one on one basis with my affiliates, to do so, I will limit the amount of affiliates that join in.

Limit to 125+/- that do BIZ - imo
    I had a conversation about this with a NICE lady in Las Vegas.

[this will be FUN]

Edit,... "In House. I got a private message a while back (before the message board had its face lift) from a in-house affiliate manager that offered great service and great rates. ((Hello miss, if your reading this, please resend me your information...please.)) Pro's? Con's? Dunno, I have no experiance in there software nor there practices."

I mean this as far as being a merchant on that network.. when it comes to networks.. well, there are prolly a couple hundred megs worth of posts badgering and complementing larger networks..

moment of clarity...

I am also working on implementing a tool to automaticly send out updates of all "OUTOFSTOCK" items, i found that the biggest peev i had when I was promoting sites, that one day the stock would be there, the next it wouldnt, and when you promote more than 5 sites and have over 1000 products checking each and every item can be a bear.. I will try to forcast items that may be volatile and relay that info the partner, so that they have a heads up on products that seem to sell out faster than others.

Just brainstorming here, and I figure if its posted here, that you guys will hold me to this, which is by no means a bad thing..

damn I love u folks...

ABW Ambassador
    Share a sale is the way to go. Parasite free and consolidated commissions. Cheaper for merchants too, so you can give us affiliates higher commissions.

My main focus is to have a personal relationship with my affiliates, preferably a one on one basis with my affilaites
    Good Goddess, why? Look the object is to sell stuff and make money, not to have a social club. That means getting your products out there with as many channels as you can. Holy suckamya! If I had a one on one relationship with all the merchants, when would I work on selling the products? Sounds like you want to be a royal pain in the kiester. Just give affiliates your products and let them do their jobs.

If you are looking for preferential treatment for your products, just run a good, honest, well paying program and promote it. That will get the job done.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

And it begins........

SSANF, my goal is different from your "Norm" ..

Social club? if thats what making sure my partners are confortable and have all the tools needed to succeed, then yeah.. call it that then.

Pain in the kiester?? how so? I will not be calling my partners shooting the breeze, but i do want them to feel comfortable in knowing that when there is a problem, issue, or situation, that I will be there for them, not tomorrow, not later, but pronto.. I still work for a living, I know what it means to work the frontline and have great ideas fall to the wayside becuase no one is listening. I know that there needs to be a TEAM effort to ensure success. I know that you have no idea what the hell that is.

I am not looking at this from a merchant point of view, I am seeing a need, and trying to fill that need. I have promoted merchants that dont give a flying shit about my questions or how I feel about there product, ... we all have..

I see you still to have somewhat of a grudge against me... why? hell if I know...

but if the most you can give for your reply to this thread is... "Just give affiliates your products and let them do their jobs." then quite honestly... u are waisting your time, not mine. really, what is your achievement in your reply?

You telling me to do the same exact thing the majority of the merchants are doing is helping how??? thats like saying, "there is a cookie cutter way to be successful as an affiliate marketer". I really believe that your not even stupid enough to believe the dumb shit you type sometimes. Why would I want to be exactly like the rest?? better yet.. why would I want to think even remotly close to the same way you think??

in short, light a candle and make your next reply either useful or comical.
    there is a drug called haloparadol that may indeed help you ma'am.

where the hell is that ignore button?

Offline merchants are the pits
    By Offline, do you mean not in a network (CJ, SAS, LS...) ie. in house program?

Sorry Verbalkent for the minor derail - Im new to AM and trying to understand it all

There is a heck of a difference between being available and being ready to be helpful and having a one on one personal relationship. Perhaps, what you wrote isn't exactly what you meant.

Being available and helpful when needed is good. Providing good tools is good. As to the personal relationship, if it happens that you connect with some affiliates on a more social level, fine and dandy. That happens in business but it really should not be expected from affiliates who join your program. Most of us already have all the chums we need or want.

And, I have no grudge with you. I am simply telling you that if you try to get too chummy or too attention demanding, you will put off affiliates who see this as a job to get done. Now, that is good advise and it is too bad you don't see it as such or appreciate it.

And, BTW, the reason that the majority of merchants in this business do things the way they do is because it works for the majority. If it wasn't working, they would do it differently.

I am not saying there isn't room for improvement. And, I do think you should be accessible for help if requested. But, I also think your focus should be on the program and ensuring it is a good one much more than on relationships. Relationships and a bus token will only get you downtown unless you have a program people can make money from.

BTW for one who brags they are brutal when it comes to speaking their mind, you sure seem to have a problem with others who do the same. If you intend to dish it out, you should also intend to take it back. That is good advise, too.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Seems like most of the successful affs are looking to be left alone unless they've got a problem/question/issue. "Just send me my check" is a common phrase. But when they do need something, that's when a good aff mgr should bend over backwards to get them what they need.

Like SSanf said, AM is a business relationship. Sometimes a genuine friendship can come up but it's not to be expected. If you come across like you're expecting affs to be your close friends, you'll probably not attract the best of the best.

Verbalkent, I've got no grudge against you either but I do think your defensive shields are set a little too high. For some reason, you assumed from the start that you'd get flamed:
    "ok. let the hazing begin."

You focused on part of SSanf's post but skipped the best advice you've been given:
    If you are looking for preferential treatment for your products, just run a good, honest, well paying program and promote it. That will get the job done.
    It's great if you earn a reputation for providing better service than other aff managers. If you do, you're more likely to attract better affs. But the experienced, successful ones are not going to be attracted to a new program (and a new manager) simply based on your assurances. You've got to earn your reputation before you can cash in on it. You can earn that reputation by following the advice SSanf and others have given in this thread.

Good luck,
    Ross

listen, listen folks,

Everything is in the delivery.
    SSANF, seems to like storming in and making a really bad impression. with a opening act like "Good Goddess, why? Look the object is to sell stuff and make money, not to have a social club. That means getting your products out there with as many channels as you can. Holy suckamya! If I had a one on one relationship with all the merchants, when would I work on selling the products? Sounds like you want to be a royal pain in the kiester. Just give affiliates your products and let them do their jobs"

^^ Of course I will take that the wrong way, why? becuase it came out the wrong way. maybe she should should have counted to ten, before posting, to make her comments MORE clear like the second post she did.

I never turn a deaf ear on advice, no matter who it comes from. but with comments like her opening, and then posts from her like " http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=3328 " that seem to SCREAM "We want change" then work with someone who wants to do just that. In a BUSINESS SENSE, a "one on one" relationship does not involve chumming,. my exact patch of text stated "My main focus is to have a personal relationship with my affiliates, preferably a one on one basis with my affilaites, to do so, I Will limit the amount of affiliates that join in. As to how I will determine what criteria the affiliates will have to match is unkown at this time, but I want a close relationship where affiliates will be able to call me personally if need be if they have any problems or issues."

Key words? "if need be if they have any problems or issues." I dont know where the in the world this lady pulled out the idea I wanted chums, wanted a social club, etc.

I am blunt, to the fact, if I wanted chums, why hell.. I would ask for it.. plain as day..

rmjvol, the proof is always in the pudding. and that I know. By laying down my intentions in a public place will not only make it known to the masses, but also still be here so that if I stray from that path, then it will be known.. Really known, hows that for getting someones attention? no one is perfect, but while a thoro analysis was done for SSANF post, where she had a whole opening paragraph of.. "royal pain...., social club... etc... and for you to see throu that and point out the only valuable point made scares me, when in my initial post, i madeit clear that what i wanted was to provide my partners with ALL of the tools and support they needed, at ANY givin time.. ITS RIGHT THERE IN THE FIRST POST.

but you know. one screamin banshee, seems to get a clearer response than a calm person laying all of his cards on the table.. I find that both confusing and pointless.

maybe if I started out in a more negative way like SSANF did, then put all of my valid points on the end.. then maybe then you would have seen my point earlier.

as of right now.. SSANF came in like a [removed for name calling]. I will be more than happy to say.... Chick. what the hell is your problem..?

if you folks cant see the error in this, then maybe thats the way all ideas should be presented in the future. with a nice big [removed] you, and then a "we'll heres what im going to do"

if thats the case. then so be it. I appreciate the first few comments that gave solid help without the ASSUMING filler. but i really have no desire to try to do something right and have that something shitted on becuase [name calling]. If the initail post from SSANF would have been the second one, then wouldnt we all agree, that it would have proven more effective and helpful?

why try opening the door to change, when someone is right there to slam it right behind you?

i wish you all the best. but there doesnt seem to be any place here for a person like me, or goals/ideas like mine.. heh, so why did I even bother?
    Last edited by Adam Ward; March 26th, 2005 at 01:03 PM.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Look, a charming helpful honest AM is a luxury item in a dollar store. It guarantees the affiliate nothing if the merchant behind the AM refuses to take the direct responsibility for closing targeted referral traffic. I appreciate any new AM willing to hawk their opportunity here, seek out an attention differenciator, rather then resort to the typical "we got spam food too for the masses" approach. Sorry this one got off to such a bad start as the newbee AM sure doesn't know the 2 surefire key ingrediants to getting quality domain bound traffic from legit value-add affiliates.

1. Your product program already has a proven history of converting 1 sale per 100 visitors from general SE traffic.
    2. Your affiliate sales reporting interface is bullet proof, tested and even the AM knows 100% of the sales get reported from properly coded links.

Basically in today's untrustworthy network environment your offering domain bound affiliates guaranteed results if they push your products without tricking shoppers or the merchant. You are an oasis in the desert sand storm deserving, by a commitment to pay every dime, everytime, of those affiliates accepted into your indy program. Your ready to launch an affiliate program ....when you don't need any affiliates to prosper as a merchant!!! They're just gravy on the mash potatoes. If the mash potatoes are lumpy and come with meal worms....no amount of gravy will make the customer really happy.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Some people are Soooooo sensitive! Doesn't it always seem to be the ones that reserve the right to "go against the grain" for themselves?

edited for name calling??? you have got to be kidding me!

whats the difference between saying "Sounds like you want to be a royal pain in the kiester." and "came in like a Screaming BANSHEE."?? we BOTH used Sugggestive comments. but i get the "greater than thou" edit snippets. u gots ta be friggin kiddin me

sounds a bit biased, if your gonna edit, then edit all the way.

soooo sensitive? please. you came in with your worthless shouting, .. I only pointed it out.

"Doesn't it always seem to be the ones that reserve the right to "go against the grain" for themselves?"

doesnt it seem to be the same ones posting comments screaming for change. that turn right around and close the door on change?

the hell with it. adam u can now edit your ass off. close/delete the thread if need be. my ideas seem to be the exact opposite of what the so called "Veterans" Affilaites want.. damn shame, becuase there are at least 3 posts from the same nay sayers asking for better communication and a change in the system from current merchants listed all over this board. funny as hell. Suck, spit, swallow, whatever floats ya boat. have a great day and enjoy ya easter/sunday/ etc

Good grief. If that is screeming he should meet me on one of my "good" days. Must have a very sheltered life.

sheltered far from it,

listen, u dont know me, i dont know you, I have no intentions on knowing you. but if you expect to jump your happy pagan self into a thread a type your garbage that has nothing to do with the initial post. making your assumptions. then yea, im going to correct you. Im just that kind of nice guy.

Your like what? 50- 60 years old? then you should have the serenity and patience and common sense to know that if you are going to answer something, the best way to do it is to get to the point. dont come in with your ASS-umptions and then throw a relevent answer at the end of it, when all you had to do was answer the question. right or wrong? what really did your filler accomplish?? nothing.

it took you 2 posts to get out 1 answer? thats hustling backwards.

dont like me? i can deal with that, even without an explaination. it costs you nothing to pay me no mind. be a good influence and answer questions without your assumptions. if that doesnt work, then yea,,, go on your banshee parade. instead of continuing on with your contridictions , and assumptions, just draw a few pretty pentagrams, burn a incense, hell! watch summer of sam even, have a coke, and enjoy your day.

Just in case i didnt make myself clear..

ENJOY YOUR DAY SSANF.

im pretty sure thats what a mature person will reply with, and hopefully that will be that.. we can guage your desire to end this futile dispute by wether or not you reply with more garbage.

enjoy...

Talking
    Verbalkent - you might as well give up on every getting any affiliates here at ABW.

You are nothing but a rude, smart a@@ and will never be an effective affiliate manager.

Your family must own the company or you would never have had a job there.

I manage many employees and if you worked for me I would tell you that you were fired and to not let the door hit you in the a@@ on the way out.

Haiko - you should just close this forum.

21. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread