Question I Really Hate...
    Webhost downtime!

I have changed webhost several times this year already but I seem to pick the wrong hosting companies each time.

List the best webhosts you have used.

Thanks
    Kb

very few could possibly give 100%; what kind of numbers do you estimate you're seeing now?

Don't Go Cheap unless you expect to be down
    I have never had a problem with downtime with the hosting solutions that I have used. I expect it's the "Get what you pay for" syndrom.

I have had hosting with a firm in Canada for 7 years and unless they had a severe problem with the shared hosting server I would guess it's 99.9% up time. www.netnation.com Their pricing structure is not the cheapest, but I don't have down time.

I am also hosting several sites with www.Ipowerweb.com . Using big datafeed sites and no problems. I would also say 99.9% uptime.

I also have a dedicated server with www.ev1servers.net and have never been down.

My advice is not to find the cheapest dammed hosting you can find. Go with a reputiable, well known hosting company and then don't worry about your site being down.

Poop for the day!

Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

everything below %95 is not good enough. I have even tried expensive hosts and at the end of the day only about %90 uptime. (i monitor my domains like a hawk)

my problem migh be related to using european hosts im not sure.

I'm a big fan of www.ev1servers.net for dedicated servers, too. I've been with them over 2 years, and have only have about an hour of downtime. That's 99.994% uptime.

I had about 30 minutes of downtime for a scheduled hardware upgrade (adding remote reboot hardware to my server).

I had about 30 minutes of downtime when they had a switch go out.

I've had other minor downtime due to problems on my end, but that was all my fault.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Birch
    my problem migh be related to using european hosts im not sure.

Kim,

That really may be your problem.

Try a US or Canadian site I mentioned.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

I really hate what is happening to me right now. I was working away, trying to figure out how to use the category field in the performics datafeeds (its mumbo jumbo to me) when all of a sudden all my sites go down. I cannot get to one of my sites that are on that server.

If anyone knows how to use the category field on the performics feeds I would be very grateful for the info.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Will try american hosting next. (huge part of my customers comes from US and Canada)

I use Kiahost.com never had a problem well once I did but it ended up being my fault.
    I also recomend stratanet.net but they tend to cater to large companies.

Talking
    I also use IPowerweb and have never had any problems.

http://www.ipowerweb.com/

Do Not ever use Interland. I used to use them and at least once every two weeks my site would get hacked and an IFrame would be added to all of my pages below the closing HTML tag.

Every time I called them about it they would say that all of their servers had been hacked and their servers were adding the IFrame to all of the pages and they would fix it.

I gave them three months to fix it - they did not fix it - and I moved to IPowerWeb.

I've been there every since.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; March 26th, 2005 at 03:27 PM. Reason: can't spell

ABW Ambassador
    HyperSpin

Hi, Kim Birch,

You may wish to check out HyperSpin for lists of web hosts with high uptime
    percentages.

According to HyperS

"We specialize in website and server monitoring services. 12,698 users around the world use our service to monitor their website and server for downtime. The statistics are generated based on the websites and servers monitored by our users. This provides an unbiased view of the quality of service offered by these companies. We do not monitor the homepage of web host or ISP, we monitor our users' websites or servers hosted by these companies.

Web hosts and ISPs are grouped into:

Shared Hosting (97/280)
    Virtual Private Hosting (8/63)
    Dedicated Hosting (38/97)
    Server Colocation (42)
    Leased Line (14)
    DSL/cable modem (45)
    Others (13) "

HyperSpin is at: http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php

If you are interested in monitoring the flow of internet traffic among the various continents , check out the Internet Traffic Report at:

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm

Best,

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

I use IPowerweb and I am sorry to report that after years of good service I have had a whole lot of trouble. Two times this month one of my sites has been off line for approximately 48 hours each time.

Both times it ended up with me yelling, screeming, begging and literally crying to get enough attention from anyone to get the site back up. I was literally almost sick since this is my best paying site. You will never believe all the stories I was told and the run around I got.

I think the issue is resolved, now. And, I don't want to move because then it would potentially cause even more down time while the new DNS propogated around the world. And, of course all this happened starting the week after I had paid them for another full year.

So, I hope I can now get another year or two of good service. But, right now, I just shake inside when I think of them. That's how upset they have had me from this snafu.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Even if the host is up 99% of the time, that's still over 87 hours of downtime every year. If this is your business, why put up with ANY down time? Try thinking outside the box.

Consider using a second webhost for backup. Balance the server load as shown below and if one takes too long to load, the other one picks up the traffic. In the past 2 years mine have never been down at the same time.

DNS1 Primary webhost
    DNS2 Backup webhost
    DNS3 Primary webhost
    DNS4 Backup webhost

The extra time it takes to upload to 2 servers is worth it to always be online.

Ray

Newbie Question,

Since no one can possibly check whether their sites are up 24 hours a day, what program or service do you use to test your sites uptime? Thanks in advance.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I've used a number of webhosting companies over the years including

iPowerWeb - used for the largest sites

midPhase - OK

Autica/MidPhase (reseller account) - encountered significant problems - poor service - only responded after multiple inquires made - finally dumped them.

JoneSolutions (reseller) - moved to them post Autica - really too new to rate, but no downtime noted for the first several months.

LunarPages - OK

VARhosting (reseller) - used with JoneSolutions to handle the smaller sites. No problems.

I cannot praise THMedia.net enough for their wonderful service. I recommend them above everyone.

Check em out.

(I am only a customer of theirs, I have no affiliation with them whatsoever)
    Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Birch
    Webhost downtime!
    This might be a real dumb/newbie question... is there anything to do if it is down, besides praying to the almighty Hosting Gods ??

ABW Ambassador
    Contact the hosts, via support ticket, email and phone support. If they do not respond, get another host and start moving to the new host.

ok, thanks, thats what I thought

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    I use IPowerweb and I am sorry to report that after years of good service I have had a whole lot of trouble. Two times this month one of my sites has been off line for approximately 48 hours each time.

Both times it ended up with me yelling, screeming, begging and literally crying to get enough attention from anyone to get the site back up. I was literally almost sick since this is my best paying site. You will never believe all the stories I was told and the run around I got.

I think the issue is resolved, now. And, I don't want to move because then it would potentially cause even more down time while the new DNS propogated around the world. And, of course all this happened starting the week after I had paid them for another full year.

So, I hope I can now get another year or two of good service. But, right now, I just shake inside when I think of them. That's how upset they have had me from this snafu.
    i hear ya. people manning the support@ipowerweb.com are like just playing dominoes. they don't know what they're doing, period. and i mean it. their advice can lead to disastrous results, literally.

couple of times, i transferred hosting to them. to prevent any downtime, i need to upload files to their server first before pointing my domain to ipowerweb. but the username they emailed me was wrong (somebody competent finally stepped in later and emailed me the correct ones). instead of fixing the login problem, they wanted me to point my domain to ipowerweb outright.

so now, here's the deal. without any files on ipowerweb, pointing my domain to them will down my website. and since i don't have the correct ftp info, i can't even correct the problem.

i think those people were hired to give customers a run-around.

so unless you know what you're doing, and you can put up with incompetent people without getting a high blood pressure, and you're ready to risk your website earnings, i strongly do not recommend ipowerweb. uptime and speed are ok when all is fine, but the customer service really sucks when you need them.

We've used hostcentric.com for years now. Can't remember the last time there was a problem with downtime.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

FutureQuest.net.

Don't get me started about THMedia. I do hope they brought support back in house. Getting replies to support tickets from those who can barely type in English and give incorrect replies was just not acceptable. Not to mention downtime, cPanel being set up to incorrectly remap sites to non-existing directories... brrrrrrrrrrrrr. The good thing, is that it was my last real attempt to diversify away from FutureQuest. I do trust Pair.com with a few sites, but it just ain't FQ.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread