Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    SEO: Number of Pages Matter?
    I am working on a site which is quite small and noticed that many of the sites like mine that are ranking high have many pages indexed. Many of them almost seem like filler pages. My question is even if I got hundreds of links and only had 10 pages indexed would that affect my rank? Would it be better to make many filler pages? Like for ex. if it was a cat food comparison site i could make tons of pages on different cats... different breeds.... This would help increase the number of pages, but really they are just filler pages. Does this make any sense?

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    work that top 10
    >My question is even if I got hundreds of links and only had 10 pages indexed would that affect my rank?

100's of links to your top 10 KW pages is item #1
    More pages can come later.......

Talking
    I never get much traffic for my home page. Just about all of my traffic comes from product pages and they all have a link to the home page if the customer wants the home page.

The more pages - the better.

When you search for something on a search engine you don't type the name of a site into the search box. You type in the name of the product that you are looking for - Right?

They want a product page - not a home page. Give them the product on the first click. Don't make them have to look for it from the home page.

If you have a 5,000 page site and can get all of your pages to index well most customers will never even see your home page but they will see the page that they wanted.

All I really use my home page for is so the search engines can find links on it to follow to find and index my product pages.

This has worked real well for me.

As far as linking to other sites - other sites may go up and down in SER and if they go down - so do you if you're linked with them.

Make yourself about 5 sites, or more, with different products on each site so there is no duplicate content on your own sites. Lets say you put 5,000 products on each site. Put them all on different servers and domains so that all of the IP addresses are different. No one will ever know that they all belong to the same person.

Put a link for all five sites on all 5,000 pages on each site.

Use SEO on every page on all five sites. If they all do well you will have five sites with 25,000 (5,000x5) links to every site and they are all your own sites so you can control the ranking of the sites and not have to depend on someone else's site trying to give you a ranking.

As far as linking to random sites - I did that at one time and several times the nice site that I linked with changed the site later and they turned from nice sites into phorno sites (etc) that I did not want my customers to see. You do not want to have to be checking out all of your links all the time.

Try it - it will work.

Cheers.

ABW Ambassador
    Design the site that is best for your customers. My experience is that web sites with large pages filled with content out produce data structures with thousands of pages. With all of the self repicating content schemes available on the market, it is extremely easy to create sites with hundreds of thousands of product pages. However, as the number of replicated affiliate pages move from the hundreds of billions of pages of useless white noise to the trillions, one cannot help but think that there will be a backlash to the production of white noise for the sake of white noise.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    Design the site that is best for your customers.
    I think yintercept is right and it is best to keep integrity uppermost in mind for success in the long run.

According to Webster:

Integrity - the quality or state of being of sound moral principal; uprightness, honesty and sincerity.

Integrity is what people like Haiko, EcomCity, Mrs. B and Leader have.

Integrity is what companies that push parasiteware don't have.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Talking
    The affiliate goal is to make money.

There is nothing wrong or shady with an affiliate having several sites, selling different products, from different merchants, that link to each other that I can see.

Isn't that what a shopping mall, center, portal, directory, etc does except that they have 100's of merchants with 1,000's of pages on one site instead of individual sites?

The search engines even do it. Foogle, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Excite, Etc.
    For one thing - your sites will load faster if they are broken down on different servers.

Why not link to your own sites? You know what you're really linking to and it's just to get your traffic up at your site(s) whether you link to yourself or another site. You usually have to link back to them and send them traffic from your site.

Why send customers to another site to buy something and lose a sale when you can send them to another one of your sites and you make the sale.

If you insist on sending traffic for a sale to another site instead of one of your own sites - then send them to me. I'll be glad to sell them something. My family can always use the money.

Of course - I'll be getting the commission for the sale instead of you.

When you put a link back to them on your site you are also helping them move up in the search engines and one day they may take your good listing away from you with their site and you would really have no one to blame but yourself because you gave them a link and helped them sink your own site.

Why would you want to help someone cut your own throat?

The big question is why would you want to send a customer to another site and lose the commission when you could send them to one of your own sites and you make the money for your own family??????

You can easily bring in $10,000 per site per month if you have good SEO pages. $10,000 per month times 5 sites is $50,000 per month.

You can say what you want but I really don't think that a single one of the affiliates on ABW would turn the money down if they could get it.

Remember - we are all in the game to make money and the other guy will screw you in the blink of an eye to take the money from a sale away from you. Some of the merchants even try to come up with ways to take your commissions away from you.

Something else that maybe you haven't thought about. If you have one site and Google takes it away from you then we hear all of the crying that you used to make X amounts of money a month and now you are making nothing and starving to death.

Well, if you had 5 sites and Google took one away from you you would then be making $40,000 a month instead of $50,000 per month and you would not be starving to death. Think you could handle that?

It would be less than you were used to getting but still pretty good - don't you thing so?

Let's face it - in the world we live in today there is no one looking out for you and your family but yourself. They may say that they are your friend when things are good but when the look out - then it will be every man and woman for their self and you will be left out in the cold wondering what happened.

It's nice to have friends but in reality all you have is yourself and your family, and at times your own family will screw you worse than someone that you don't even know, in times of trouble, and you need to do what is best for yourself and your own family first.

This is a sad world we live in now - but that the facts of life now days folks.

How about it Herb and and Michael, and etc. Is this post long winded enough?

I'm going to start giving some members a run for their money on posts.

and let BurgerBoy come through.

This post is not an attack on anyone.

It's just me my thoughts on the subject.

You can feel free to tell me your thoughts on the subject and I will not consider your thoughts an attack on me.

Who knows. Before this thread is over with you might change my mind or I might change yours.

So - What do you think??????

Internet Cowboy
    You mean it takes you a whole month to make 50 grand in commissions?

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    You can easily bring in $10,000 per site per month if you have good SEO pages.
    I'm not sure I would call it easy. Sure, it can be done and many people here make that (and more), but I doubt anyone would agree that it was easy. If it was, all of us would have dozens of sites making $10,000 per month per site and we'd be lounging around on a secluded beach somewhere instead of chatting on a message board.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Integrity is what people like Haiko, EcomCity, Mrs. B and Leader have.
    Thank you...

But, to be clear, I don't consider basic site design issues a matter of integrity (or lack of it). Ugly, pretty, content-rich/poor, etc...those are just matters of taste. And I see nothing wrong with SEO.

Of course, I think sites need to refrain from crookery like product misrepresentation, fake coupons, parasiteware, and that sort of junk. But a site can certainly have 100,000 or more pages without being at all crooked!

I'm right with BurgerBoy on this question. Lots of sites, lots of pages, and SEO your tail off.

Design the site that is best for your customers.
    No matter what the design, it is all for naught if nobody can FIND it! To shop, bookmark, whatever--they have to find out about your site to begin with. So, my opinion is:

1) Design for the SEs so they will rank it and people will see it.
    2) Design in such a way that humans actually like it enough to shop there, once they do find it!
    3) Unless you're running CPM ads, traffic only becomes money once it SHOPS! So, the site shouldn't be so sticky that the traffic won't leave!

4) It's only "easy" if you know the algo. Yes it is dirt easy if your pages are in synch with the engine! But save up lots of $$$ for when the algo changes. Don't be one of those people who are stuck back at a j*b the day after Google dumps their pages.

I doubt anyone would agree that it was easy.~Michael Coley
    It's figuring out the algo that's the tough part IMO. I think it's kind of like riding a bike on a mountain range. (uphill) Hard, ugh, hard, grunt... (made it) EASY WOW WOOPPEEEE coasting, fun!...(uphill again) hard, hard, grunt, groan, hard...
    Last edited by Leader; March 28th, 2005 at 12:54 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Let's face it - in the world we live in today there is no one looking out for you and your family but yourself. They may say that they are your friend when things are good but when the look out - then it will be every man and woman for their self and you will be left out in the cold wondering what happened.
    BurgerBoy,

I like that quote, because that's the way this world is lately.
    (By the way, how do you stole my fan, not to many people around here know how to post that hitting%20the%20fan.gif )

I'm going to start giving some members a run for their money on posts.

and let BurgerBoy come through.

This post is not an attack on anyone.

It's just me my thoughts on the subject.

You can feel free to tell me your thoughts on the subject and I will not consider your thoughts an attack on me.

Who knows. Before this thread is over with you might change my mind or I might change yours.

So - What do you think??????
    What do I think?

Listen to me BurgerBoy,

Yesterday I was thinking one thing about you but, today with this post you made, I already changed my mind about you.

You're nothing but a Boy and you need more in order to be a full Boy.

I'm not attacking you, this are just my thoughts and I'm got no money, so I can't run.

Sal.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    You mean it takes you a whole month to make 50 grand in commissions?

I'm open for any ideas that you have to help me increase that amount. Feel free to PM me with the Ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm not sure I would call it easy. Sure, it can be done and many people here make that (and more), but I doubt anyone would agree that it was easy. If it was, all of us would have dozens of sites making $10,000 per month per site and we'd be lounging around on a secluded beach somewhere instead of chatting on a message board.

This is true - you have to stay busy working on the sites and keeping them up to date all the time but it is like a hobbie for me.

It gives me something to do and make money at the same time.

It's only work if you would rather be doing something else.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Thank you...

But, to be clear, I don't consider basic site design issues a matter of integrity (or lack of it). Ugly, pretty, content-rich/poor, etc...those are just matters of taste. And I see nothing wrong with SEO.

Of course, I think sites need to refrain from crookery like product misrepresentation, fake coupons, parasiteware, and that sort of junk. But a site can certainly have 100,000 or more pages without being at all crooked!

I'm right with BurgerBoy on this question. Lots of sites, lots of pages, and SEO your tail off.

No matter what the design, it is all for naught if nobody can FIND it! To shop, bookmark, whatever--they have to find out about your site to begin with. So, my opinion is:

1) Design for the SEs so they will rank it and people will see it.
    2) Design in such a way that humans actually like it enough to shop there, once they do find it!
    3) Unless you're running CPM ads, traffic only becomes money once it SHOPS! So, the site shouldn't be so sticky that the traffic won't leave!

4) It's only "easy" if you know the algo. Yes it is dirt easy if your pages are in synch with the engine! But save up lots of $$$ for when the algo changes. Don't be one of those people who are stuck back at a j*b the day after Google dumps their pages.

It's figuring out the algo that's the tough part IMO. I think it's kind of like riding a bike on a mountain range. (uphill) Hard, ugh, hard, grunt... (made it) EASY WOW WOOPPEEEE coasting, fun!...(uphill again) hard, hard, grunt, groan, hard...

Thank you leader. You said what I was trying to say - only better than I said it.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    BurgerBoy,

I like that quote, because that's the way this world is lately.
    (By the way, how do you stole my fan, not to many people around here know how to post that hitting%20the%20fan.gif )

What do I think?

Listen to me BurgerBoy,

Yesterday I was thinking one thing about you but, today with this post you made, I already changed my mind about you.

You're nothing but a Boy and you need more in order to be a full Boy.

I'm not attacking you, this are just my thoughts and I'm got no money, so I can't run.

Sal.

Mr. Sal - I went and stole your fan at http://abestweb.com/smilies/ .

Indeed - I am a full BurgerBoy. In fact, I need to lose some weight.

I guess I spend to much time sitting at the computer and not enough time getting some exercise.

Hope you have a nice day.

Talking
    Hey SSanf.

Do you have any thoughts about this thread?

Would love to hear from you too and anyone else that would like to respond to it.

Thanks in advance.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread