ABW Ambassador
    AMs/merchants who supported the old-new agreement.
    So now that the agreement has been changed, what do you think of AMs who tried to sell us on the old one? A few privately and publicly here tried to sell it before the tide turned and affiliates really said - NO. Then of course they just stopped posting about it (even when requested to clarify their point).

I can understand an AM or merchant saying - hey sorry, not much we can do, but we hate to lose you. A few even offered my private deals outside the network. But I wanted to see the principle through so I didn't take those.

But I look at this as a real reveal of ethics by merchants and AMs. And to be honest, was surprised by who tried to sell or spin it, especially once it was pretty clear it was not only a bad contract (on first read), but pair that with the lack of privacy policy and it was a network out of control.

There are a few obvious linkshare cheerleaders here, but this has been a real eye-opener on how far they will sell ethically treating affiliates just to keep cheerleading a network. I really hate this industry sometimes, and this really is one of those times.

Because ignore it, pretend it didn't happen so that you can feel good you are staying with their program. But when it comes down to it. To a one, a merchant who has acted without ethics, or has lied in these forums has always had a blow up later. Always. There are real ethics and there are appearance of ethics.

Time for people to do a reality check on some of the AMs/Merchants.

Chet

Chet, I do agree in principle with what you are saying. But, I think some AMs may have been scared poopless that their whole programs that they worked so very hard to develop were going to go south. And, think of the impact that could have had on them and the people who depended on them.

Don't forget they were also hearing from affiliates behind the scenes and you have no idea how many of us may have been telling them that, "We like you but, hey, there are other merchants". Don't forget that their were many who had already started ripping their links and they knew it.

And, they didn't do anything to bring this on!! Yes, they were pretty darned scared that so much of their lives was going to get trashed by that stupid contract. How unfair! So, while sure I don't like it, I understand it. Horrible position they were put in due to no wrong doing of their own.

AND UNKNOWN TO YOU those very same AMs trying to put out the fire here were also the same ones working behind the scenes trying to get smesser to see the errors of his ways!! In fact, they are probably the ones who helped us out the most. That and our own determination not to cave on this one.

So, yes, I hear you. But, I also think there is more to the story than is easily apparent. I think the ones you are refering to are the very ones who saved the day!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Project Athena has some huge benefits for AMs. Most affiliate managers are level-headed enough to realize that Linkshare wouldn't abuse the provisions in the old agreement. The new agreement is a perfect compromise. It gives us affiliates the assurance we need that Linkshare won't be violating our privacy, yet it still retains enough control that Linkshare should be able to weed out a good majority of the fraudulent affiliate applications.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I understand the benefits for AMs. And I understand you need decent programs to attract affiliates. And I understand merchants who publicly didn't speak out against it. I understand the food chain of affiliate marketing.

But what is funny is, an AM who was publicly supportive of the agreement. Privately said it was a good agreement. And is now saying, at least in private, that being against the agreement was not what got it changed, but being for the old agreement is what got it changed to the new agreement.

Not make any sense?

Does this industry ever make sense?

Oh and yes, everyone loves them, everyone will say I am wrong.

But I will bookmark this thread and when i link to it later, I won't even say i told you so.

Just remember this, an ethical person always acts ethically. An unethical person acts ethically when they have something to gain by being ethical, but when that advantage no longer exists, they will resort to their old ways.

Chet

Just remember this, an ethical person always acts ethically. An unethical person acts ethically when they have something to gain by being ethical, but when that advantage no longer exists, they will resort to their old ways.

Chet

100% with that quote.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf

But what is funny is, an AM who was publicly supportive of the agreement. Privately said it was a good agreement. And is now saying, at least in private, that being against the agreement was not what got it changed, but being for the old agreement is what got it changed to the new agreement.
    Possibly the AM meant that merchants who wanted and supported a way to help identify parasites, were the ones who supported the old agreement. (and possibly were the ones who got something going in the first place - or suggested it)

And when the affiliates were not pleased with the exact wording, these same merchants told LS that they needed an agreement their affiliates would accept.

Perhaps it is communication with LS that is the key. The kind of merchants who would regularly communicate to LS what they would like to have. (not the kind of merchants who just join LS and then do nothing) These would be vocal and pro-active merchant/am's who get involved and work to make things better.

Just because nothing is being said in public, does not mean they are not trying to help in private.
    Ebudae

Quote Originally Posted by chetf

Chet
    Yes, I agree. But I also think that people can be working behind the scenes to make change. And their silence publicly does not mean they are unethical - it just means they have not laid all their cards on the table for all to see.

Possibly the cards were laid in private - and that is how things were changed.

We will never know how many threatend to pull out of LS if they did not change things. We will never know who played what cards.

Perhaps, some of these AM's/merchants originally were pleased but had not thought of the conquences of the original agreement. And when it was brought to their attention, they did work to get it changed. That would make them ethical.
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    ebudae, as I said - i have no issue with anyone silent on the issue. I can understand that. But when people come out publicly for it, and in private continue to the very end say it is a good thing. Somehow, I don't think they ever were working for a change.

Somehow, I don't think they ever were working for a change.
    Yes but, you see, that is what we are saying you could be very much in error about.

Think of it like the people who say they will support our country and the troops right or wrong but still work behind the scenes to change things that are wrong with our country.

Not the way I do or think. But, many do operate that way. I agree we will never know for sure but I have pretty strong suspicions, too.

For that reason, while I still agree with you in principle, I am going to reserve judgement on the AMs you refer to. I just think there was more to it all.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

P.S. If you are who I think you are, I understand why you think that way and it is very reasonable from your perspective. I just think there is more to the story in the final analysis. As always, I leave the door open for the possibility that I am the one in error.

Time will tell.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread