Question Promoting New Messageboard - Help!
    I created a new messageboard on March 15th. I know it's a little soon to expect membership, but I expected at least one new membership by now (other than friends or relatives).

My site is geared toward women (coupons, sales, apparel, shoes, etc.), and this coming quarter we want to target our city -- as well as a general female internet audience.

So far, I've:

- Used Google Adwords (least costly methods)
    - Created a contest with a quality prize and promoted this on contest sites
    - Placed a prominent, informative link on my homepage
    - Added my site to Yahoo! white pages
    - Used TrafficSwarm (personally, I don't feel I'm getting quality, targeted traffic from them. Too many get rich quick schemes)
    - Promoted my site on a couple of messageboards which permit it.

Still nothing.

I plan to:

- Promote my site in a local college paper
    - Create new business cards and pens for distribution
    - Consider placemat advertising as it's popular in our town & country-style area.

I like the company that's hosting my messageboard quite a bit. The only con I can see right now is that it doesn't count guest clicks. So I don't really know how much traffic I'm getting for my efforts.

My message board is 100% open to guest browsing and does not require registration to use. I want to keep it that way for now because I don't want to switch to becoming a password-protected affiliate (just yet).

Just wondering - any good, low-cost ideas for promoting other than the ones mentioned? Thank you.
    Last edited by shelbyprincess; March 27th, 2005 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typos

it al about getting the word out... until you really get serious getting the word out... and plaster the name everywhere you can think of... your problem will persist...

the more you get your message out the more visitors you will have... they go hand in hand...

as for howmany visitors you are getting... yourstats will tell you how many uniques you are getting daily... if you host doesnt offer stats get a new host!

you need to know who,what where and when... your raw logs will tell you this...
    when run through a stats program...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

What kind of traffic does your site have?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Take it to the streets. Go downtown and pass out flyers. Drop flyers off in places where there is a spot set aside for flyers and freebie magazines (laundromat, library, beauty salon, etc.)

Have a monthly giveaway of a reasonably desirable item, with signup for email list to enter the contest. Promote this on the flyers mentioned above. It costs money, but $50 or so spent on a prize or two may be more effective than $50 spent on advertising schemes that have already been proven ineffective.

Hits
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    What kind of traffic does your site have?
    Zimmy, I get about 5,000 clicks on my homepage per month. I noticed that some of those were coming from out-dated ads - which might disappoint the consumer. I have been tracking this as much as I can over the months, and it looks like most of the search engines are more up to date now.

However, I am not SEO optimized and do not rank highly on search engines. Technically, I don't know how to do that and would rather build with word of mouth/targeted advertising if possible.

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Take it to the streets. Go downtown and pass out flyers. Drop flyers off in places where there is a spot set aside for flyers and freebie magazines (laundromat, library, beauty salon, etc.)

Have a monthly giveaway of a reasonably desirable item, with signup for email list to enter the contest. Promote this on the flyers mentioned above. It costs money, but $50 or so spent on a prize or two may be more effective than $50 spent on advertising schemes that have already been proven ineffective.
    I really like these ideas. I know that our local college students really mill in their parking lots right after a semester ends. I've seen that our local Target & Walmart has allowed people to put those little post-it style ads on cars. I'm going to look for the non-owned freebie-flyer holders around town. I want to participate in a couple of local events, too.

I wish I had thought of simple registration as the way to win the first prize, LOL!

shelbyprincess,
    In my opinion, you may not have enough traffic just yet to support a message board. You've got some great ideas for promoting your site and I would work on getting your traffic up and then focus on a message board. I have found on my own message board that once my traffic reached about 500 uniques a day that I was ready to start a message board. You may get frustrated trying to do it too soon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

i will speak to my webmaster,,,,
    but i think i can give you a free compitition button.
    it will be a popup to enter to win a free skin care cream..
    [NO STRINGS]
    you click to enter, it pops up you fill in email address, send.
    and it pops down,, we get additions to our mailing list,,, you get a free compitition every month .
    P.M me if interested
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Wink I agree that might be a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    shelbyprincess,
    In my opinion, you may not have enough traffic just yet to support a message board. You've got some great ideas for promoting your site and I would work on getting your traffic up and then focus on a message board. I have found on my own message board that once my traffic reached about 500 uniques a day that I was ready to start a message board. You may get frustrated trying to do it too soon.
    ... but the weird thing is, since I activated the board, I've received a bunch of great offers from Merchants - with virtually no sales and a handful of members. Weird.

I am frustrated about membership, though.

ABW Ambassador
    create multiple identities on your own board and talk to yourself until it picks up, join other forums that allow links in signatures and post useful information there, try a post exchange w/ other people w/ new forums who are also looking to get more activity, send out a press release, create groups and blogs that feed into your site/forums... that's all I can think of right now. Basically the trick to forums is having good info easy to find and a lot of activity, both of which will attract more members, thus bringing you more info and activity...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Thank you for the tips!
    I was happy to discover that even though my posts weren't counting guest hits, I do get "Raw Stats" on the number of hits the message board gets. It's at nearly 5K for nearly a month of being active, so that nearly (sorry that's my third 'nearly') 100% conversion from my homepage hits. (Just guessing.)

I had some relatives sign up but am terrified they'll identify themselves (shout out to Mom!) and embarrass me. I guess it's all in a days work, LOL!

Since I want to advertise locally, I've been searching for websites that involve my city to swap links with - there aren't many!

I have seen an increase in members and involvement, though, so after the first major ad campaign, I hope to see some conversions.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread