Will the datafeeds in the merchants datafeeds thread track my commissions?
    Hi,

I have been an affiliate of CJ and LinkShare for some time now where I have been using some of their merchants ads on my site.

From my understanding they track your sales through the use of a image tracking referral link and just a normal tracking link. I understand that you have to have both of them on the same page or you won't get tracked for a sale if you just have one of them on the page.

But when I look at some of these datafeeds that are offered by merchants from LinkShare and CJ some of them only has a column within their datafeed with one referral tracking link and not two of them.

So if I only put the main referral link on my page to link to the product and not the image referral link that has also normally contains that tracking of your referrals, will I still get my commission from any sales from that referral link?

I need to know this as I don't want to promote alot of products for free where I will not end up getting what I should be getting just because of faulty linking.

I use datafeeds pretty extensively and I rarely use any of the tracking images. The click URL sets the tracking cookie, not the tracking image.

If you want to gauge click through and aren't doing any sort of link redirect than it might be beneficial for you to include the tracking image, or determine how to include it if the datafeed doesn't include it directly.

- Dave

So just using the click tracking url will work then as I am using a redirect from my site to the merchants site.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrenck
    I use datafeeds pretty extensively and I rarely use any of the tracking images. The click URL sets the tracking cookie, not the tracking image.

If you want to gauge click through and aren't doing any sort of link redirect than it might be beneficial for you to include the tracking image, or determine how to include it if the datafeed doesn't include it directly.

- Dave
    If so then that's all I need to know.

Does the click tracking url still track your clickthru's within CJ and LinkShare or does it only track the sales?

You will see the clicks but not the impressions.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Right, the image tags are just for tracking impressions. Clicks and sales are tracked by the click-through link.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OK!

Thanks!

It's now time to start adding some of these merchants products to my site then.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread