Tracking image required?
    Please pardon the newbie question -- I did a search and didn't really find a definitive answer...

When doing text links on CJ, is the little 1 pixel tracking image required?

I'm assuming that this is just to count impressions, and I already have other analyitics that show me that. I'm just wanting to double check that if I eliminate this, that click-throughs (and sales, with any luck) will still be counted, and that I won't be in violation of some TOS or another.

The reason I ask is that I'd like to run some of these links in a text-link rotator that I already have on the site, but it can't easily accomodate adding the image without quite a bit of re-work.

Thanks for your help!

- Chuck

The 1x1 pixel image is just for impression tracking and isn't required.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael!

I usually leave one on each page, so I have a reasonable number of impressions showing.

To have clicks and sales but no impressions might make you appear to them to be a parasite in their stats, I suspect.

So if I've got, say, five products on a page for a given vendor, the 1x1 pixel is only included for one of them.

Dunno if that's necessary, but it's how I do it.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

That's the way I do it too. I hate having to include them, but it seems I remember reading in a post quite a while back that somebody's account was canceled because their sales to impressions ratio was unusually high.

Sales vs Impressions
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    That's the way I do it too. I hate having to include them, but it seems I remember reading in a post quite a while back that somebody's account was canceled because their sales to impressions ratio was unusually high.
    But what if an affiliate is using direct linking PPC ads? Then all you would have is the click/sale with no impressions originating form your site. Is there a way to write direct linking PPC ads that generate impressions?

Steve

>> sales to impressions ratio was unusually high

$100000 / 0 = ??

Most big affiliates don't use impression tracking tags. I doubt that any merchant would mistake it for fraud. I've been doing this almost six years, have worked with hundreds of merchants, seldom ever use the impression tags, and have never had a merchant question it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It never made any sense to me either. I thought it was presumptuous of CJ to think that everybody put those tracking images in their coding. It's too easy to omit.

I would prefer not to use them at all, but when I read that post a year or two ago, it worried me. Up to that point I had stopped using them. Wish I could remember when and where the post is.

Tracy,

I remember that post as well. I seem to remember it being buried in another topic or something, which may be why it's difficult to find.

It's good to have at least one tracking image on a page, because it shows you how many ad impressions you're getting overall. But I think it's a waste of bandwidth to include them with every single link, especially if a particular page has multiple affiliate links on it.

Andy

I remember that post as well. I seem to remember it being buried in another topic or something, which may be why it's difficult to find.
    I think this is what you're looking for.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=41
    We can't track if the code has been altered and no longer works correctly. We ask that publishers use the code exactly as provided. If you alter it, it is at your own risk that it will track correctly. It is true that if you only remove the image pixel, the href will still track correctly but human error could still play a factor, so we do not promise that the tracking will work if the code is altered/manipulated in any way.
    CJ Tracking FAQ: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...&highlight=1x1

I just searched for 1x1

Sal.

Mr. Sal wrote:
    I just searched for 1x1
    Well, of course you did! Anyone can do it the easy way!
    Seriously, good find Mr. Sal - I think that might be the exact post I was thinking about, although I'm pretty sure it's come up a few times over the years.

It says it's against the Publisher Agreement to alter the code, so I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble for doing it - but it does seem a waste to load all those tracking images on one page when just one will do, especially on pages with flex destination links, which can create tons of code. I've got a few pages with a LOT of those!

Andy

As I've said before, it's very common practice to use just the link. As Todd said in the quoted post, that works fine. Do what you want, but you really don't need the impression tracking images.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread