Quick question about site content.
    I have heard from many places that you can get free website content from the usual places. I have used those usual places to get free content relevent to my site. I was also told in many other forums that I should add inbound links to the content so that google will love me and cherish me. I did so, but I feel bad in a way, becuase the free content that I am using on my site, states that the content cannot/ should not be changed. I in a sense have not "changed" the content, but added linking code to the content over specific keywords. like if the content has a bit of text saying "diamonds are a girls best friend" then I would add an inbounbd link to one of the diamond products that i carry. I have not recieved any c&d requests to change the information, but I would like to know from you folks if im doing the right thing. It takes nothing for me to remove my inbound links from the articles (Which again, did not change any of the actual text in the article) ..

Just wondering. I know there are many out there who have done the same thing. in fact, most popular syndications that use external content will add those link thingys and other inbound links to the content.

thx

Cool
    if there wasn't already a link from a word or phrase, then adding one hasn't changed the content.

google would like to do the same; might as well beat them to it.

From what I can tell by combing over the CreativeCommons.org website, there is an argument that can be made that tagging content with metadata (including links) could be supported under Collective Works and Fair Use. But this argument is probably outweighed by any possible commercial intent of your inbound links, and the lack of necessity of inbound links in order convey the underlying intent of the content and its adaptability to an electronic format. You're adding "search engine sugar" to the content, which I believe goes beyond necessary electronic format adaptation. That it is metadata not visible to the user doesn't sway the argument, because it does affect content purpose. IMHO, purpose is the essence of Fair Use. If the author of the free content has reserved commercial intent, you may be infringing.

Standard Disclaimer: I'm not an IP attorney, just a content wonk.

Ok, I will contact the 3 sites that i get free content from, and provide them with a direct link to the content I am using, and ask that they point out anything that I may be doing to infringe on any laws, use acts, etc.

thx guys, i'll post what content networks I am using and the reply from those sites just in case it may help others. Im also writing my own content just in case the news is grim.

thx a million

Standard Disclaimer: I'm not an IP attorney, just a content wonk.
    ... That's funny.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread