Post No more Private Registrations for .US Domain Names.
    The National Telecommunications and Information Administration ("NTIA") (http://www.ntia.doc.gov/), the telecommunications and Internet arm of the Department of Commerce, has disallowed private registrations for .US domain names.
    Source: http://www.thedangerofnoprivacy.com/

Cool
    I must have missed something -- what makes this a privacy issue? The site shown says all hell is going to happen to me now because I have a dot-US domain?

Question
    OK, this from Wired News via the same source:

The U.S. Commerce Department has ordered companies that administer internet addresses to stop allowing customers to register .us domain names anonymously using proxy services.

The move does not affect owners of .com and .net domains. But it means website owners with .us domains will no longer be able to shield their name and contact information from public eyes.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center said the move violates First Amendment rights to anonymous free speech. And the representative of one of the largest domain-registration companies is concerned that customers who have been victims of stalkers won't be able to protect their privacy without changing their web address to a domain that offers anonymity.

Wired News has learned that the edict came a month ago from the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, the Commerce Department agency that advises the president on telecommunications and information policy. The agency ruled with no warning and without any discussion with the companies accredited to sell and register .us domains. The domain companies were told they would lose their right to sell .us domains -- the official, top-level domain for the United States -- if they didn't comply

Good the owners of domains should be known to all. If you want privacy get a freaken PO Box.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Good the owners of domains should be known to all. If you want privacy get a freaken PO Box.
    Yes, that way we can find who the spammers and site copiers are.

Yes, that way we can find who the spammers and site copiers are.
    Then at least some of them would be getting a good ass kicking from the poor buggers they have spammed to death or stolen their sites etc..

I think all domain owners should be compelled to show their info.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I think this info should be public, although I can understand there's a legitimate need for privacy. Hidden info isn't subject to the spam bots that circulate to harvest E-mail addresses. For that reason alone, I can see the need for privacy. However, in a perfect world, this info would be public to keep everyone on the up and up.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Privacy violation my ass. The President, all anti-spam advocates, Cybercrime units worldwide, and The entire US Congress demand ALL domain ownership be truthfully devulged in the ICANN Whois database. This is just a first step to make the same rules apply to all .com .net .whatever. Draconian measure, as all those domain owners conning online users have no real domain name information to operate their schemes on the unsuspecting public. Deny that fact! Sure some are innocently hiding their Whois from prying eyes but ALL cybercriminals demand hidden ownership. Online users demand easy access to a transparent domain ownership for legal action or criminal action just like all those representing themselves as a business have a occupational license on file with their DNA on it!

Be nice to some day query the Whois for the domain owners nick and see all their registered domain ownerships. Whow! Imagine finding ABWers running black hat disposable domains while posing to all here as saints.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

while posing to all here as saints.
    Yeah, like the last year exposure of some price winner.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread