Product Feeds
    LinkShare requires static IP address to access the product feeds. I have comcast cable internet but I do not think I have static IP. Can I still get the feeds?

I was under the impression the static ip reffered to the website's ip that would be recieving the feeds but I don't use them so I really wouldn't know now would I???

Someone else that uses them will surely give us a clue.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    use a ftp script on your webserver, it would be a static ip. that is what I do You could use cgi or php, try hotscripts.com, you might find a script there. I forget where I found mine, but I think I just googled ftp scripts or something?

If I understand right then you can specify an IP Range

Linkshare does not allow you to specify a ip range. You have to give them your ip address from where you will be downloading the feeds. If that ip changes, you have to notify them and wait up to 3 days for them to change it.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Most cable accounts I have used, including my current one, I have set up my connection as a static connection so I keep the same IP.
    Now, you still run the chance of losing that IP periodically if you have to restart or something and the IP was given out while you were shut down but it happens a lot less this way.
    If you leave your computer on all the time, then this may help a bit.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

If you're technically adept, it's far easier to just access the datafeeds directly from your server (which will have a static IP address).

If you're not technically adept, you're going to have a hard time using datafeeds effectively.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I consider myself technically adept and it's far easier for me to d/l the feeds locally and run all my scripts and processes on the data here and then upload the cleaned data to my sites/dbs.
    But that's me and how I have chosen and like to do things.
    Your comment assumes that everyone runs off their own server or has been given enough control of their resources from their webhost or doesn't have a windows reseller or shared hosting plan which usually don't allow download types of scripting to be run or sql procedures that could do that, etc and so forth.
    I wouldn't assume someone is technically inept just because they do things a different way.
    Everyone does things differently.

[edited because my post was coming off as really surly ]
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

popdawg, thanks for your informative messages. How do you set up your connection in a statis way. So you specify an IP in your LAN settings.

Don't worry about your post coming off surly. I have a pretty thick skin!

I still stand by my statement that datafeeds aren't for people who aren't technically adept. They are usually very resource intensive, require quite a bit of work (especially if you want them automated), and usually require knowledge of databases. Of course there are ways for those who aren't technically adept to get around that (WebMerge comes to mind), but it's still a major step up from a regular web site.

I realize that many download their feeds locally, but you're missing some huge advantages if you do that:

1) Most servers have a 100mbps connection, so it's much faster to download directly.
    2) You don't have to worry about Linkshare and dynamic IPs.
    3) It's one step instead of two. When you download it locally, you then have to get it onto your server somehow.
    4) It's much easier to automate when it's on the server.
    5) Depending on how you implement it, working directly on a server can be much closer to real-time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I still stand by my statement that datafeeds aren't for people who aren't technically adept. They are usually very resource intensive, require quite a bit of work (especially if you want them automated), and usually require knowledge of databases. Of course there are ways for those who aren't technically adept to get around that (WebMerge comes to mind), but it's still a major step up from a regular web site.
    Agree with all of that and almost all of the following:
    1) Most servers have a 100mbps connection, so it's much faster to download directly.
    Yep and let me tell you how much ... time for some bad grammer here ... funner it is to see things move Sooooo much faster.
    2) You don't have to worry about Linkshare and dynamic IPs.
    Sort of, although I don't have to worry about this at all anymore but it wasn't a real problem before. At most 3 or 4 times a year I had to worry about my IP being changed.
    3) It's one step instead of two. When you download it locally, you then have to get it onto your server somehow.
    True ... as mentioned tho, I just like having everything done locally and saving system resources and having the data in two locations ... kind of a CYA thing.
    4) It's much easier to automate when it's on the server.
    Nope ... It's just as easy to automate things locally and then (here's that second step you mentioned in number 3) you just automate the update of the scrubbed data.
    5) Depending on how you implement it, working directly on a server can be much closer to real-time.
    True it can be. For some things I work direct off the server, for others I do it locally. It just depends on what is being worked on.
    Now I totally agree there are some definite advanatages. But, for those that don't have a server, I am basically saying that there is nothing you can't do without one that you can with one ... did that come out right?
    Again, this is personal preference.
    I don't keep data in one spot when I can keep it in two.
    Redundant? ... maybe but then if you have read some of my past posts, you know that $#1t happens ... and frequently at that
    Soooo I have backups now on my backups

Matt, yeah I just did an ipconfig /all to get the ip, subnet, gateway info, etc.
    Then, in your network settings (tcpip) or your router settings if you have one, enter all that info in and you are usually good to go.

Thanks popdawg.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread