Exclamation how important is submission?
    It seems Yahoo has spidered my site down to the very last page, but when I do a simple search in the directories, my site doesn't come up once. How important is the actual submission of pages? Does is change the ranking of my site when doing a refular search for related keywords? Does the description in the submission statement actually make a difference to my keyword relevance?
    i would apreciate any advice, new on the job

Submissions do nothing for your rankings. Your rankings are based upon the merits of the information on your pages relative to all other pages competing for the same keyword phrases. For most major search engines, you have to have inbound links to your site before you will see any improvement in ranking.

Don't engage in repeated submissions. Most search engines consider that to be spam. In fact, you only need to submit a new site one time to Google, MSN and Yahoo and within a few months almost all the major search engines will have your site in their index. Most of the time you do not even have to do that. I've seen Yahoo spidering a site that I just installed a few days earlier and was still in the process of testing.

Submission statements do nothing. Search engines use the HTML title as the title for the page in search engine results pages.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up AllTheWeb, AltaVista and Yahoo Rankings

Hi, Talie,

I think that if you code as best you can according to W3C standards you should do well with the AllTheWeb, AltaVista and Yahoo search engines. I am getting many more referrals from AltaVista and Yahoo than Google.

Don't worry about Google. The smartest and most experienced web masters in the world can't figure out Google. That is because they keep assuming Google's search algorithm is logical and realistic. It is not.

The GoogleBot has gotten lazy. The YahooBot spiders about ten times what Google is doing at my site.

Also, Yahoo has a "brain".
    Alas, Google has no "brain".

Best,

Ron Carlson, Webmaster
    http://os2warplinks.com

Ditto to what RadarCat says.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread