Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ClubReplica - illegal?
    I see that cj has a new adverstiser - clubreplica - They make fake rolex watches. Isn't the "fake" business illegal?
    Last edited by valerie5794; March 31st, 2005 at 07:16 AM. Reason: want to put word in titlw
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    As long as they state they are only replicas and that they are in no way affiliated with Rolex, etc, it isn't illegal. It's like those perfumes 'inspired by designer XYZ'.

~Lisa~

15 years and counting
    As long as they state they are only replicas and that they are in no way affiliated with Rolex, etc, it isn't illegal.
    Who told you that? Give me your web site URL, I'll made a copy with replica on it and I'll cash the money.

Anyway, selling fake merchandises is not for me, next is what, fake dollars?

CJ is going down the hill. They must have hired a bunch of idiots to promote their services. IT'S A SHAME.

They are selling fake Louis Vuitton wallet, too. I can't wait to see Todd trying to explain these ILLEGAL activities on CJ site. Count me in to place a few phone calls to give them what they deserve.

I can't believe HOW LOW CJ is going. DISGUSTING.

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    As long as they state they are only replicas and that they are in no way affiliated with Rolex, etc, it isn't illegal. It's like those perfumes 'inspired by designer XYZ'.

~Lisa~
    I think Zeus is right, this is thin legal ice, at best.

Adding folks like Fandango (10 cents a lead), Screensavers and now ClubReplica certainly doesn't help CJ's profile.

"selling fake merchandises is not for me"

I hear that but I think that those who sell something for $25k when it's worth $250 at best are the true dregs of society, no matter how good they smell or which ivy-league schools have buildings named in their honor.

Hell I once saw a pair of flip-flop sandals made by "begins with a G" for $850.00 - the materials, design, and craftsmanship were no better than those that could be had elsewhere for $9.99

It's a matter of scale and degree. The bootleggers are the streetcorner pickpockets and the "real" makers are the Wall Street slicks. Big weasel, little weasel. All weasels still.

but
    Istolz - the fake perfume does say inspired by.... These fake Rolex watches have the Rolex logo on them.
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=14348158i

While there are ethical issues, it can be, and is done.

"...the risk of confusion is the key legal test of whether a knockoff has crossed the line to forgery. Under U.S. law, a company can't copyright a design, but it can register elements of that design as trademarks. If the shape of the bag's flap or the strap across the closure lead a likely Hermes consumer to think the knockoff is genuine, then it's pretty easy to convince a court that the fake violates Hermes trademarks."

If a consumer doesn't think it's real, and the item doesn't carry the designers logo and name, it most likely will NOT reach a court. Just a fact, not good, not ethical, doesn't even make sense, but a fact just the same.

"Give me your web site URL, I'll made a copy with replica on it and I'll cash the money."
    Ummmkay. That doesn't even make sense. You can't compare an intangible item to a tangible product. I know what you were trying to say, but if you're going to flame me, at least put a little more effort into it!

Anyway, I never said that it was cool, or right, or whatever. I just pointed out that certain items can and are 'replicated'. I don't think drugstores would sell CK One 'inspired by' colognes if they could get in trouble for it. And what about shows like "The Look For Less" where they intentionally go out and construct an outfit from pieces that are similar to high price tag designer pieces for a sometimes eerie similarity to an outfit seen on the runways?

I absolutely agree that these types of stores are not something we should promote, but it certainly isn't uncommon to see them.

~Lisa~

Quote Originally Posted by valerie5794
    Istolz - the fake perfume does say inspired by.... These fake Rolex watches have the Rolex logo on them.

Then absolutely they are bottomfeeders, and they are a step away from jail and fines. I haven't been a big CJ fan anyway. That is poor taste, to let merchants like that in.

15 years and counting
    I had time to call the legal departments of Rolex in Switzerland and Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in France and I sent emails to a few people I know in charge of counterfeit merchandises. It's going to be very interesting.

15 years and counting
    lstolze - "Give me your web site URL, I'll made a copy with replica on it and I'll cash the money."
    Ummmkay. That doesn't even make sense. You can't compare an intangible item to a tangible product. I know what you were trying to say, but if you're going to flame me, at least put a little more effort into it!
    If you need an education let me know.

Talking Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I had time to call the legal departments of Rolex in Switzerland and Louis Vuitton (LVMH) in France and I sent emails to a few people I know in charge of counterfeit merchandises. It's going to be very interesting.

That's great Zeus! How cool. Such drama.... better than TV.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    If you need an education let me know.
    Yes, please educate me on how you could replicate my site and steal money from me. You could copy the look of the site, and that would be just fine since I use a generic template that thousands of other people use. But you wouldn't have my domain name, or my google ranking, and so that means you're profiting from me how...? Sorry, it just doesn't make sense. Since we're talking about stylistic replication, copying another website style or look doesn't have the same impact as copying a Gucci handbag. Just my humble view...

15 years and counting
    lstolze, what's your point, are you selling fake merchandises on your web sites? are you working for ClubReplica? are you one of these new CJ salespersons? Do you have a problem to believe I had time to call Rolex and Vuitton?
    I don't approve people spreading false information like "they are only replicas and that they are in no way affiliated with Rolex, etc, it isn't illegal" Now if you want to hear the truth, why don't you call yourself Rolex or Vuitton or one of the Custom officers where you live.

The point is I don't appreciate getting a mild whipping for making a very short statement based on a general topic. Valerie did not share at that point that the watches actually said Rolex, and I have come across various news items about this subject that say that while it's a gray area, it doesn't always fall into the clear cut 'it's illegal' group. I'm sorry for saying anything, obviously just saying "I think your info isn't accurate, and here's why..." was too hard for you to do. You felt you had to make some point to me, and I guess I was just returning the favor. And I didn't disbelieve you calling the companies. I in fact thought it was very cool of you, if you read my post.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I can't believe HOW LOW CJ is going.
    They used to have a different knockoff-watch place that was there for a long time (I forgot its name, but I don't see anything I recognize as it now...maybe they went away [no loss]). So sellers of fakes aren't new there...

I'm not signing up for this one, either, though. These fakes-sellers are a bit too shady-looking for my taste.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Back in a previous life I was a globetrotter. Ran around all over the world. Lots of my traveling partners picked up fake Rolex's in street markets and bazzars for US$20 in lots of different countries. Then sold them in the US for a big profit.

Back at the US port of entry the Customs Officers would sometimes confiscate them if they caught them. Even when they were wearing them on their wrists. My guess is that if Customs grabbed them, they are probably illegal. I don't know about ClubReplica products.

15 years and counting
    Leader - These fakes-sellers are a bit too shady-looking for my taste.
    Not only shady, dangerous too. And I don't want to speak of my personal experience.
    Counterfeiting accounts for 5% to 7% of world trade.
    Counterfeiting is often linked to national or international organised crime, and is frequently used as a means of laundering dirty money.
    Counterfeiters pay no taxes, duty or social contributions.

I still can't believe to see CJ promoting them. It's a crime and a blow to affiliate marketers. Dare to answer, Todd?

I assure you, I'm going after them.

Go for it, kick it in!

I know if I was Rolex, I wouldn't be typing this--I'd be too busy mobilizing the legal department!

I also wish CJ wouldn't let these lowlifes in. When I said (a year or so ago) that they were being "too picky," I meant that they should let more small (possibly mom & pop), LEGIT and non-sleazy businesses in and not just stick to big companies! But I didn't mean let the sleaze in with them!

Would you guys promote a site like this?
    http://www.anysunglasses.com

I was maybe going to promote them, but after this thread I am having second thoughts.

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting article about this type of thing
    http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortway...y/10689936.htm

We do not represent our alternative sunglasses to be original nor do we represent that they are exact copies
    Ah, so they changed 'em a bit in hopes that theirs will be legally "different enough..."

Might be legal (if they are indeed different enough), but personally I wouldn't bet on it...

Promote 'em?
    Well, they don't look as crooked as the watch place, but it's still the same basic premise, so I'd have to be sure of the legality. I can imagine the C&D's...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    e-mail spamming operations probably pressure the Adwhore perps at CJ to shove these counterfeiters into the commission pool to expand reach. 1 Billion Rolex spamms can become 3 bioon with the expertise of the black hats in CJ affiliate sewer. SE spam and shady BHO's are a necessary to round out their plots to deceive the shoppers. Look for 3rd world drop shippers being at the root of this enterprise and any counterfeit name brand product distribution plans.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    Have you seen the signature of a David Goobens behind these 1 Billion Rolex spams? I'm getting only 100 to 200 spam emails a day for fake Rolex but I guess he is no stranger in this clubreplica.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well be sure to tag CJ to spamcop (et. all) being a e-mail spam monitizer to go along with their bringing the world a herd of BHO browser spammers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Unhappy party
    I went to one of those girly "come over and buy stuff so I can get some free stuff" parties. There were 2 vendors - one candles and one fake pocket books. The pocket books were soooo cute and the ladies were snapping them up like they were a bonafide cellulite cure. It was all I could do to not leave with one of those bags - I even tried to see if I could get the hermes label off of one - so that it would be a gray area purchase - LOL. Anyway, since I have been on a soap box for over 2 years on how those bags amount to stealing - I left the party with a bunch of ugly overpriced candles. Ack.

Val
    Valerie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast