ABW Ambassador
    AFSRC marks the spot
    Maybe this question has been raised here before, but I haven't been able to find it.

Assuming for a moment that Google would like to weed out affiliate sites from it's index, for whatever reason, isn't the AFSRC=1 code that we are expected to put in our CJ links to prevent our commssions being stolen also a fantastic way for Googlebot to find our sites with no effort at all?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me
    Exactly why I've never used it
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    They don't need that to spot affiliate sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh I know they don't need it, but I'm sure Googlebot s******s to itself and punches out early for a cocktail every time it sees one

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    i dont think google is trying to eliminate affiliate sites... not for a minute..

ABW Ambassador
    Are you being serious or sarcastic?

You don't think Google would much prefer people to shop through Froogle?

ABW Ambassador
    Microdot, they're not trying to eliminate or target affiliate sites. This is one of those things that gets brought up year after year. You can just go to Google and find millions of affiliate pages. If they wanted to target or get rid of them, they could easily do it. If anything they know a lot of affiliates also use Adsense, even called me at home trying to get me to put it on one of my 'very affiliate' site. So no, they're not out to get you, just paranoia.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hello, I was being serious..

There are many affiliate sites out there that are much more than 'affiliate sites' (??)..what I mean is.. some affiliate publishers use product/affiliate referral links as a value added service for their user base. Many of our top publishers at Backcountry.com have a very minimal amount of affiliate links.. they do, however, have a large, established user base ..and these users for the most part come to their site(s) for lots of different things.. not only to find the gear they need/want. Their content is valuable to search engines as it delivers what people are looking for in terms of information. The key is for affiliates to merchandise only relevant products to the legacy content of their site(s).. and unique legacy content should out weigh affiliate content 10 to 1.

Google isnt out to get any one particular affiliate.. especially if they are a niche site specific to a focused area of interest.. If a site is *relevant* to a particular topic and user friendly it's Google friendly ..but of course we're all just speculating, right ?

GBM

There's lots of very good content sites with a few adsense or amazon or cj links on them to help pay the bills. Is google going to jettison the content sites? Not likely. Just like the "sandbox" this is one of those urban google legends I think. :-)

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    All valid points guys, but you'll just have to forgive me if I remain cynical on this one.

It's a jungle out there.

I think the affiliate / search engine relationsip is largely symbiotic, a colourful example of which is demonstrated in the relationship between the cleaner fish and the shark - http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/cleanerf.htm.

The content rich sites making a few dollars to pay the bills probably don't concern the search engines too much. Indeed without them the search engines would have no useful content of their own and would themselves perish.

But what happens to the cleaner fish who gets greedy?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread