Odd Thing with MS' Antispyware
    Very strange coincidence, but right after midnight (it's now April 1st) I rebooted and then my MS' Antispyware would not load. Every time I rebooted and clicked my Start Menu everything would lock up. I finally figured out it was MS' AS and it was the startup file gcasDtServ.exe. Once I killed that process everything was ok.

As I said probably just a coincidence, but a very strange one.

I installed it over itself and all is working fine now.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

It's been working well for me thus far, but it's good to know what to look for if it locks up.

I also run Webroot Spy Sweeper, AdAware and Spybot. Each seems to catch different things. I still don't know if M$ AS is good or bad, but at least the price is right.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The MS Antispyware does not target cookies, and that is a good thing for us.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You probably have a spyware that trys to disable MS Anti Spyware. I'd boot into safe mode and run an anti spyware scan

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    I also run Webroot Spy Sweeper, AdAware and Spybot. Each seems to catch different things. I still don't know if M$ AS is good or bad, but at least the price is right.
    Good article about this mentioned here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=15

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Correct tip was given. Turn off system restore. Boot into safe mode and run both your anti-virus deep scan and the MS Anti-Spyware. Many of the worse drive-by installs and those shoved through the P2P networks backdoors have specific targeted trojan horse viruses that disable the most popular Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs.

Let's hope the Supreme Court case draws real attention to how these infestation fee perps work to hijack systems....

http://www.cdt.org/publications/policyposts/11/8#3
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

If I visited anywhere or used anything that would install something on my computer then scanning my system would've been the first thing I did. People run System Restore?

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I got hit the other day by just clicking on a shopping directory that came up high in the Google SR.

I never thought that I was visiting any site that would hit me with AdWare. Maybe the same thing happened to you.

I ran MS's anti-spyware on my daughter's computer. It found a gazillion adware programs so we removed them. Once they were removed though it killed IE.
    So I did a system restore to the day before.

Got IE back along with all the adware crap. I then ran a "registry cleaner" program and it found over 800 "problems". Supposedly fixed those, but when we rebooted her computer another registry problem popped up.

Oh well, I'm going to have to systematically go thru each spyware/adware program to figure out which one is killing IE when it's removed.

Just be careful when you remove the buggers -- removing can damage alot too!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    When hundreds of millions of hijacked system victims peal through the onion layers to get at the core.... all ABWers should get tears in their eyes. The core is the affiliate marketing industry in it's present state of glory. For years now the industry management and pool of Adwhore AM's, blinded by their advertising mindset, have chosen to reward SE, e-mail and browser SPAMMERS with the majority of all the proceeds from network links. I'd be overly generous to say 80% of all affiliates prefer cookie setting tricks and any spamming activity knowing honest page showcase linking is worthless without manipulating traffic at its various sources.

The most successfully rewarded are those who can game the merchants budgets by attacking at the point of sale. The type of affiliates willing to take infestation fees from the likes of Adwhore perps showing their asses in the above type BHO infections are bad. The types paying those slime balls are worse as they'd cut a shoppers throat or mug him in a Mall parking lot for their pocket money, if things got so ethical in the affiliate industry they were all forced out.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread