Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Some Google Insight
    Was posted over at WMW, in case you don't get over there. I would read it when you have some time to devote to it. Some interesting stuff in there.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=20050071741

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Hi, Trust.

I'm glad somebody found it interesting. I posted the same link yesterday morning here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56541

Maybe between the 2 threads we can get some comments on it. Nobody responded to the thread that I started.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh i missed it. There's some good stuff in there. This is what they say about it at WMW: "Some are calling it the most important search related document since Brin and Page's "Page Rank" thesis."

I printed it out (25 pages) and will go thru it like some homework. Got my highlighter out and everything From what i read so far, some real good stuff in there. It's good to know how they think, what they look for etc. Some stuff like:

"For example, domains can be renewed up to a period of 10 years. Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the date when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain and, thus, the documents associated therewith."

Usually i renew for just a year or two, only have a handful of domains but next time will renew them longer.

Going to read the discussion over here:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28814.htm

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Yea, I was thinking about the domain duration thingy while I wrote my comment above. I thought the domain thing was particularly interesting. I have traditionally registered my domains one year at a time and renewed them each year. Maybe it's time I registered each of them for ten.

There is certainly a lot of good stuff in the document, which is why I was surprised nobody commented on the earlier thread.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Good find you 2!

Lots of interesting stuff here. Thanks!
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I hadn't seen the earlier post but I'm glad I caught this one. Reading it now...fascinating stuff.

I spent probably an hour reading through it. Good stuff. It sounds like they've done a good job of identifying the differences between good sites and spammy sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    Michael - I spent probably an hour reading through it.
    It's going to take me much more than an hour to understand it. That's so hard to read.
    They knew it was going to be public information, so it may be why they changed so much their algo not so long ago. I'm sure the basis are still valid but there's much more criterias to discover.

It gets easier once you get used to the legalese. It's easier to understand than most of Mike & Charlie's posts.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If you're struggling to understand the jargon someone has done a review here:

http://www.wolf-howl.com/2005/04/goo...-analysis.html
    Eat Less. Move More. :cool:

15 years and counting
    Tks, interesting.

Here is a bit more info
    Important for us AMs, Google in 2003 became affiliated with Amazon.com
    I note that Google says Amazon links are more reliable...HERE IS WHY:

"The multiyear agreement will make Google's search technology and targeted sponsored links available on Amazon.com within the next several months. In fact, sponsored links are already available on a selection of Amazon.com Web pages."

I have a lot of Amazon links on my affiliate gifts site, but you can believe it, I am adding a TON more.

I contacted my host about paying for several years for my domain name.

Just when I was thinking my AM site would never "make it"...maybe it will now

Sure, I wish Google did not favor Amazon, but
    Why? Because you know you start at 5%, and it must take FOREVER to get to 6%. Plus Amazon only has a ONE DAY cookie, so if the visitor bookmarks Amazon, uh oh.. But still, to know that Google robots favor Amazon links is still better than not knowing... If it helps my site get towards the early SERPS in Google, well, I have to do it...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Let's assume that this IS an outline of google's new improved algorithm.

The Black Hat SEO's would be all over this and the algo would soon be altered beyond recognition.

I have better things to do than 2nd guess google. Make a quality site and you will be found, one way or another. The search engines that can't find the quality sites will not be around very long.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Very interesting. I recently wondered to myself if it would be useful to SEs to look at how long a site was registered for.

Here's my beef with that idea. My "pet" site, the one I've made hubby promise to renew if I predecease him, was registered for nine years, but that was a couple of years ago. Obviously I don't plan to renew the registration until it reaches the end of the nine year term. Now how the heck is Google going to evaluate that site when it's in year eight of the registration period? Is it going to think that site is spammy because it only has a year left on the registration?

ABW Ambassador
    Cheesehead, never hurts to read and learn. Then you won't make posts like:

"Frankly, I don't even know what google is looking for now."

"I am learning to accept the fact that unless something changes, I won't get traffic from them, regardless of what I do."

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Obviously I don't plan to renew the registration until it reaches the end of the nine >year term

Why not?

Just add a year every year, to keep it at the 10 year max. A nice insurance policy.

Good point, Drewbert. There really is no reason I couldn't add a year each year. Next time one of my sites comes due for renewal I'll add a year to my pet site. I'm also going to renew one other site for nine years. That one's also turned out to be a keeper. The rest are still on probation.

I think though what they are saying is that if the domain has *already* been registered for a number of years then that is a positive thing. So a domain registered in 1999 would still be at an advantage because of its "history".
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Right. A brand new domain registered for a single year is a red flag. I'm sure it's not enough by itself to indicate spam, but when combined with several other red flags it becomes more obvious. On the other hand, a site that's been online for 5-10 years and is prepaid for the next 10 years might be given a bit of a boost. Makes sense to me.

Also, I think many of the specifics in there were just examples. Amazon.com isn't the only "good advertiser" to have. I think some of the major ad networks might be considered to be even better. Anyone can be an Amazon.com affiliate. Very few qualify to get into the big ad networks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Okay, so if I understand this, it would seem that Google is using the presence of links from reputable, established affiliate networks as a way to validate the legitimacy of a site. Which is damn ironic because while those spammy SE scraper sites which are loaded with (chuckle) AdSense ads never do have network links on them...do they Google?

I remember this post from JJJay: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...21&postcount=1
    Just received an email from Network Solutions, now you can buy a domain and register it for 100 Years,
    So maybe if we register it for 100 years instead of 10, we should do even better?

Sal.

Google changes its algo maybe quarterly anyway
    But my point is this: Google IS Amazon's business partner going back to 2003 to present. So, until they break up, Google robots ARE going to favor Amazon links. Like it? No, we don't, but we have no choice whatsoever. I wish Google were Hammacher Schlemmer's partner, BUT IT ISN'T, so I have to deal with the black and white reality of the Google-Amazon business partnership. Google and Yahoo were partners, remember? So, the Google-Amazon business relationship may or may not last, but for now, Amazon is Google's AM god.

As to relevance, I have only figured out one thing: It is important to match the page name, title tag and description tag. If you do not believe me, just do any search in Google and you will see the page name highlighted, the title tag and the description tag words which match your search words.

I don't know when Google robots began to match up the page name, title tag and description tag, but now they DO.

Does anyone have any other ideas how to show relevance to the Google robots, please? Any ideas are appreciated. You see, it really does not matter what any SEO's figure out, Google is on its own agenda WHICH IS TO PROVIDE FRESH, RELEVANT SERPS. The SEOs, black or white hats, are NOT Google's preoccupation. They know we exist, but so what? They tune the algo to provide what in their opinion are the BEST results, so they can stay on top. I am a newbie at AM, but NOT a newbie at Google stuff.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Cheesehead, never hurts to read and learn. Then you won't make posts like:

"Frankly, I don't even know what google is looking for now."

"I am learning to accept the fact that unless something changes, I won't get traffic from them, regardless of what I do."
    You make a good point. It would be worth the time to keep an eye on this.

I think one's priority however, should be in producing a site that will be popular enough to stand on its own. I guess I learned this with the last update. I also think it is helpful to:
    1. Make a site with good navigation structure (probably a factor in ranking)
    2. Include key phrase in title and repeat it several times if appropriate in body (still a way to get good ranking in yahoo & msn)
    3. Place target key phrase and key words in description and keywords metatags (helpful in getting good contextual ads and required by some search engines)
    4. Get some good solid return link partners - strive for actual traffic from the return links. I know that back links are now a bigee with google, however I am hesitant about going overboard on links or using some shell-game type linking technique to try to produce the appearance of a highly backlinked site.
    5. Use good coding. This is something I really need to improve. I have heard that xml pages rank well - probably due to the strict nature of this code versus the slop (my slop!) that will load up in html.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hey Gang,

After spending the day reading the Google Patent info, I've decided on an experiment.

I have a brand new, high quality original content site. There are no affiliate links or links from any of my existing sites.

I have just added a single amazon link in the left menu and google adsense at the bottom of the page.

Lots and lots of text information and good solid graphics.

I'm building this site up independently of everything else, I've done on the web. Back to the days of innocence (sp?).

I'll report back, if anything develops.

Jazz Times

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast