Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Question Using more that one domain name for a single site question...
    I would like to know if there is a way to point a second domain name to a site that the search engines do not penalize for?

What is the best way to do it?

I have been told that by using GoDaddy's forwarding to point a domain name to another account will gain you a penalty. I believe this to be true as I tested it on one account and went from a full site index on Yahoo to only the main page being indexed.

Is it ok to use the addon domain feature in CPanel to do this? Will it be seen as duplicate content since the domain names are different, but the site is the same?

One last question. If there is a proper way to do this, is there any chance that Yahoo would pick up the second domain name and index the site using that since it has penalized the site prior?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Hi Michele..your post interests me. I have more than one domain name for my site since it has "for" in the title, I also have the domain name with "4" pointing to my site. I get most of my traffic from Yahoo, so I have not seen a penalty. I did not know this was bad. I'd like to hear some other comments.
    Mel

There are plenty of ways to do it without a penalty, but basically the end result of each of those is that each alternate domain must do a 301 Permanent Redirect to a single domain.

If you just mirror the content on multiple domains, that's when you risk getting a penalty.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    There are plenty of ways to do it without a penalty, but basically the end result of each of those is that each alternate domain must do a 301 Permanent Redirect to a single domain.

If you just mirror the content on multiple domains, that's when you risk getting a penalty.
    Right - If I remember correctly CPanel allows for Add-on domains and Parked domains. Parked domains are redirected to a particular folder/directory within your main directory. Add-on simply redirects all requests for additional domain to your primary domain. I believe both use the 301 redirect which is cool.

ChristalWeb Productions

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cera
    Right - If I remember correctly CPanel allows for Add-on domains and Parked domains. Parked domains are redirected to a particular folder/directory within your main directory. Add-on simply redirects all requests for additional domain to your primary domain. I believe both use the 301 redirect which is cool.

ChristalWeb Productions
    Great! That is what I wanted to know.

I knew 301's were ok, I just wasn't sure how cpanel set up the add-ons and parked domains.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Oh boy - I should have included a disclaimer or something - note I said "If I remember correctly" and "I believe" - if your serp positions go for a dump based on my statements, please don't sue me.

you might want to confirm that CPanel does use the 301 redirect - your site host should be able to confirm for you.

This may be of interest, http://www.xona.com/2005/07/21.html

I also am looking into redirecting a more "User Friendly" url to my current site,

So when I read this poist, and the link i supplied conflict with each other, I would lean more towards the abw posts, since I trust u guys more than some random link I ran across,

but any firm info regarding this would be appreciated..

thks

A parked domain just gets people to your main site. That is probably the easiest way to do it.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread