Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Exclamation What's wrong with this picture?
    From the new issue of Revenue:

"Last year ValueClick combined the 90 Be Free employees and the 1,200 Commission Junction workers into a single unit."

>> MY NOTE: CJ has 1,290 employees

"Currently, CJ maintains a staff of about six people dedicated to network quality issues, inlcuding finding suspicious activities, policing the network and following up with the publishers."

>> MY NOTE: "about six people"???? Only SIX of 1,290 employees work on what we all know is a HUGE area of issues??

and finally the kicker... when speaking of what can get one kicked off the network for...

"In our mind, if the practice really adds value to the consumer or the advertisers, that's a technology of value to me," Pullen says, citing comparison shopping engines and rebate programs as examples of technologies of value. "At the other end of the spectrum, there are companies using a similar type of technology, but instead of giving money back to the consumers they're keeping all commissions for themselves. That's not compliant."

>> MY NOTE: I must be confused on what being compliant means. I guess as long as you share the wealth, no matter what means you use to gain the wealth (ebates anyone?), then you are compliant.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Reads & Looks like an Adhorror story to me.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    MY NOTE: I must be confused on what being compliant means. I guess as long as you share the wealth, no matter what means you use to gain the wealth (ebates anyone?), then you are compliant.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?
    It sounds 100% bogus to me. Whether a person "shares the wealth" should be utterly irrelevant!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    1200 Employees? Not possible!?!?!?!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

I think the 1200 number is off. ValueClick (the parent company of CJ, BeFree, and several others) only has about 600 employees total. The CJ.com digital press kit says CJ has 125 employees. I think that might be from 2003, but I'm sure it's close.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think the 1200 number is off. ValueClick (the parent company of CJ, BeFree, and several others) only has about 600 employees total. The CJ.com digital press kit says CJ has 125 employees. I think that might be from 2003, but I'm sure it's close.
    If those numbers are correct, then whose butt are they trying to blow smoke up?

Even with a total of 725, it seems they would have more than "about 6" people working on compliance issues.

They also went on to say that the combined enity of Be Free & CJ has 1,500 Merchants and about 400,000 affiliate marketers.
    ~Michelle

No, it's not 725. 600 is/was the total for all of ValueClick, which includes CJ, BeFree, and several other companies. CJ alone has around 125. So the compliance department is about 6 out of about 125. That's fairly reasonable.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Not getting into BF attrition rates after the merger (diff topic) but "about 6" is WAAAAAAAAY Freakin better than all the rest. I will never poo-poo the amount of people in the CJ team, just some of their decisions (once again, that is a diff topic). I commend CJ for their dedication which is FAR GREATER than any other network to address compliance issues.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    It sounds 100% bogus to me. Whether a person "shares the wealth" should be utterly irrelevant!
    Sounds more like sharing the loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Not getting into BF attrition rates after the merger (diff topic) but "about 6" is WAAAAAAAAY Freakin better than all the rest. I will never poo-poo the amount of people in the CJ team, just some of their decisions (once again, that is a diff topic). I commend CJ for their dedication which is FAR GREATER than any other network to address compliance issues.

I agree that 'about 6" is better than nothing, but if they truly do have the 1290 employees they represent that they do in the article, then 6 is a sad number in my opinion.

That isn't even what really get's me, it is the compliance comment that burns my fanny.
    ~Michelle

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As far as me and Charlie are concerned all the "compliance teams" are tasked to do is make sure they forward illegally obtained commissions to the perps prison accounts....if someone else catches them.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We content rich affiliate sites are more than compliant. We plough those saved pennies back into product content that the merchants couldn't possibly afford a copywriter to make for themselves. When the customer uses skimpy content to make a bad purchasing decisions, how is that compliant? Grrrrr!

15 years and counting
    From Hoover's Online, company and industry information:
    Value Click
    For the fiscal year ended 12/31/04, revenues rose 83% to $169.2 million. Net income rose from $9.8 million to $40.1 million.
    Employees (last reported count): 576
    CJ
    Revenue (2005): 9.30 M
    Employees (2005): 100
    You can do a lot with 6 persons in a compliance team, if you really want to do something, but it's an other matter.

Michael's numbers are about right. I can't imagine where that 1200 number came from.

Jeff Pullen is quoted often in the article. According to the article he is the general manager of CJ.

The article income info jives with what Zeus posted and went on to say:
    (speaking of the quarter that ended Sept. 30 2204) ... "CJ had sales of $17 million - $14.7 million in the US and $2.3 million in Europe."

Another interesting figure that was put out by Forrester Research was mentioned in the article. It said that right now Affiliate Marketing is a $95 billion industry and is expect to reach approximately $230 billion by 2008. (Let's hope that the hard working honest affiliates reap the benefits and not the scum.)
    ~Michelle

15 years and counting
    ~Michelle - Affiliate Marketing is a $95 billion industry and is expect to reach approximately $230 billion by 2008.
    For sure the figures look good. That's a pretty amazing growth prediction. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will benefit the honest affiliates. Just my experience of the past few years. I don't want to be negative, may be it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    (Let's hope that the hard working honest affiliates reap the benefits and not the scum.)

the Scum's already are reaping the benefits!

let's hope that the hard working honest affiliates will get their break... Someday maybe?

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    That's a pretty amazing growth prediction. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will benefit the honest affiliates. Just my experience of the past few years. I don't want to be negative, may be it's just me.
    It'll benefit whoever takes the initiative. I certainly plan on being a big part of the growth (through honest methods).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

If I were CJ, I would give a figure between 5 or 10. They know that nobody cares how many account execs they have, how many website administrators, how many interns bank their checks, how many security guards they hire. Network quality issues is something they can be judged on, so expect them to exaggerate the number. My guess is one.

I think we have around 250 employees. As for the 6 people in our Network Quality department, I will put them up against anyone out there. Their combined experience and available tools are far beyond the combined experiences and tools of all others networks.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Can you take one of them to work with HSN? Been in the CJ network since November and still having problems turning sales into commissions. A couple of months ago you said you had someone working with them. Still no progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Can you take one of them to work with HSN? Been in the CJ network since November and still having problems turning sales into commissions. A couple of months ago you said you had someone working with them. Still no progress.
    I'll have someone look into it again.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    nm

ABW Ambassador
    "I'll have someone look into it again."

Any word on this? Right now i'm looking at 10% of sales turned into commissions from November. I don't quite understand the setup they're using. Right now get a sale and commission is $0. And then it's supposed to turn into commission later. I'd rather they did what most others do and pay the commission when the sale shows up and reverse it if it needs to be reversed later, then i can get an idea of the reversal rate. Could this be the problem:

Action: HSN Online Purchase
    ActionCriteria Customer completes online purchase.
    Action Referral Period 1 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission $0.00 USD

2. Action: Everything but Electronics
    ActionCriteria Transactions with paid amounts.
    Commission 8.00%

3. Action: Electronics
    ActionCriteria Electronic items
    Commission 4.00%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast