Google Doesn't Like Me :(
    Ok- I can't get indexed. I have a few links pointing to my site. I have done the manual submission (google.com/addurl) it has been over a month. I am not only indexed with Yahoo but I get a top 5 ranking. But google acts like I don't exist. I have done the site:mydomain... Nothing. However if I do - find sites that contain the term www.mydomain.net 9 relevant sites that link to me come up and show my links

The weird thing is 1 time about 2 weeks ago- I showed as being indexed- but no more.

What should I do?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Only a month? What you described sounds typical. Just wait a bit (another month) and it will probably get indexed, particularly if somewhat well ranking sites are linked to you. In fact, if you have active well ranking sites linking to you, manual submission is not even needed.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

thanks- you have eased my mind

Google has been slow indexing new sites for quite some time. Even if the site does get indexed, a new site will probably be in the Google Sandbox for 3 to 6 months if your search phrases are very competitive. That means that your site probably won't rank very well for a while.

Just keep working on building quality links and content and you will likely be pleased when Google lets you out of the Sandbox.

I agree, my site was in google and vanised completely for 2 weeks and then came back again, only 2/3rd of my website is on google, but its picking up.

keep focusing on creating content, and relevant links, and don't worry as much about the speed at which the engines seem to work at times.

even when your site is linked via other sites, and found that way, it could be a few months before it starts to go through those links even though it sees the link.

also, try the option for sites which are linking to your site, i've noticed that there are ways that some people are linking to sites which don't 'count' as a 'link' to your site as far as google is concerned. for example, some sites have started culling links out of PPC listings and placing the links there exactly as they're in the PPC engine, so it could *LOOK* as if there is a real 'link' directly to your domain, but it goes through the PPC engine, and the yourdomain.com in the 'listing' appears in the site when you search for pages which contain yourdomain.com

that's just one example which i've started stumbling over recently. it's great when google shows 0 'links' to your domain, but a four digit number of domains containing your domain name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    Google has been slow indexing new sites for quite some time. Even if the site does get indexed, a new site will probably be in the Google Sandbox for 3 to 6 months if your search phrases are very competitive. That means that your site probably won't rank very well for a while.

Just keep working on building quality links and content and you will likely be pleased when Google lets you out of the Sandbox.
    I don't think Google is letting anybody out of the sandbox at this point. I have 5 sites that have been sandboxed and they're all about a year old now. I've read in numerous places that 1 year should be enough time to climb out of it, but not in my case. I've even earned some extremely valuable themed PR from reputable established websites. I think something is up with Google and they're very selective about what will put you in their good graces. I'm starting to think blog and forum traffic are key in ranking well with Google. The trick is making your site good enough to be commented on.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Just yesterday I read an article in a well known marketing newsletter saying that you can't expect to see your site doing well in Google for at least a year.

Baloney. In fact....Baloney Skins! (that'd be BS)

I've put up eleven sites since Sept first. Three full-blown datafeed sites and eight very tight niche sites. The only one of these sites that is not ranking on the first page of ALL three of the big SE's is one that was previously registered, and it ranks well with Yahoo and MSN.

I know some will swear that there is a 'sandbox' effect. I just don't see it.

I'm by no means competent at SEO. All that I know about that is what I have learned on this forum. On these new sites, my best keywords rank in the top five out of one plus million sites.

The newest site (put up in April) is way up there in SERP and generates traffic and sales from the engines.

Check your content. If you have content that the engines deem to be duplicated you will be ignored. It may take a couple of months for the dup content filter to come into play, but it will.

Do gather up revelant links to your site. Do write original content. Do research on you keywords. Don't try to cheat. Learn what you can about on-page SEO. Then, let her rip.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    2 new sites both in Google in less than 2 weeks and making sales... If there is a sandbox effect haven't seen it yet..

I think Google tends to offer a lot of free initial traffic to new sites, but they will take it away in time. I got quite a bit of traffic from Google when each of my sites were first created, but I slowly lost it over time. I think the definition of the sandbox is exactly this though. Google will give you a lot of free traffic in the beginning, but eventually you'll fall into the sandbox. I think this is bad because it's countering Google's intentions. They're trying to eliminate spammy websites, but at the same time they're encouraging new websites. I just don't get it!! If they want us to create quality websites, why are they rewarding those of us who create new sites? It's my belief that a site that's developed a brand and establishment should reap the benefits of the time invested.

- Scott

Two parts to the Sandbox effect are:

1. Many sites initially rank very well, only to drop into the Sandbox after a few weeks.

2. The Sandbox only affects less competitive search phrases. The more competitive the phrase, the longer the site is likely to be Sandboxed for the phrase. Non-competitive phrases typically see no Sandbox effect at all.

Here is a collection of Sandbox theories: The Google Sandbox Effect

The Sandbox only affects new sites. If a domain name has a prior history, the Sandbox effect is commonly circumvented.

One other thing. . .

Duplicate content is a big issue with G. There is a difference between getting Sandboxed and receiving a penalty. It sometimes takes a while for G to collect enough information to apply a duplicate content penalty to a site, which reduces a page's rankings.

Snib, if your sites have been suppressed for about a year, there may be other issues. I have seen a few reports of people who think they've been Sandboxed for a year, but they are rare. If you have 5 sites that have been Sandboxed for a year, look for duplicate content issues and excessive interlinking of sites that are on the same IP address C-class. The C-class is the first three groups of numbers in an IP address. Also, don't buy multiple domain names and point them to the same site. That creates a mirror site penalty. Up until about January you could do this with a 301 redirect, but G is currently screwing up 301 redirect for many sites. Also, links to sites that have been banned by G are now being penalized, so be careful who you link to.

Actually my sites haven't been sandboxed for a year. They all ranked well at one point or another during the past year. Usually there was at least one that ranked well with Google but now none do except my oldest and strongest site. This one is in a very uncompetitive market. I believe I'll get traffic again from Google in the future, but I'm trying my best not to count on it. As long as I can get traffic by other means, that's less that I need to rely on the free traffic. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

- Scott

Thanks everybody. okay - Google has me indexed now. I don't know why I vanished for a while there. But I am getting a top 3 rank on a decent search query. So relieved. Now I have to work hard to get my site 100%finished.

Even if the site does get indexed, a new site will probably be in the Google Sandbox for 3 to 6 months if your search phrases are very competitive. That means that your site probably won't rank very well for a while.
    That is exactly what happened to me:
    July 2004 Google first indexed my new site
    July 2004 - Nov. 2004: Google visited my site and ranked it PR3 or PR4 - I forget.
    Dec. 2004 - Feb 2005: Site disappeared from Google completely. No rank, no visits, no hits from Google. Grey bar.
    March 2005: Googlebot came back, few hits from Google.
    April 2005: My page rank just went up to PR4 and I am getting hits from Google.

Cheapmom - I am glad that you got indexed!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread