which language to learn?
    So, I've got some c++ knowledge (computer science student, end of 2nd year) and I want to learn a language to help me manage and grow my websites. I am currently considering Perl or or PHP. I want to do stuff like write (or modify) forum scripts, comment scripts, content management scripts, site search, search engine, and e-cards scripts. I would also like to write a program kind of like a scraper program (but of course I would NOT be using it like those junk scraper sites) that I assume would be an actual executable and not a script.

What language(s) would you suggest?

PHP is the rising star, especially with version 5. 5 Is very well suited for OOP. That version is just not deployed much yet because PHP 4 writers assumed things that break in 5. My second choice would be Python; as there are some interesting things done with it, and I think it's OOP design is a little purer. Python is probably better for programming in the large, if you start working with teams.

Why not learn both PHP and Perl? PHP is great for web development, and Perl is great for the back end portions of a site (scraping, datafeed processing, and those types of things).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm with Michael on this one. PHP is great for the front end processing and perl is much faster for data crunching. I really should do more perl myself, but I've gotten lazy - PHP is just too fun and easy!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Maybe it is a cultural thing but PHP code seems to encourage the writing of code that is easier to read and more maintainable. However that might be my mainframe roots showing through ( having had bad experiences of people writing assembler code that was a pig to maintain ).

Don't know if there is an equivalent in Perl but I now try and write all my new PHP using classes which also helps to keep it manageable.

Les

Definitely PHP. I found it fairly easy to get to grips with compared to PERL. Also, look at the number of scripts available on hotscripts under perl and php. There's more and more under PHP as people are switching over. PHP's more fun too.

Aside from stright web applications, the past few years I've been using PHP for a lot of things I would have previously written a shell or Perl script for, especially if it involves database manipulation or datafeed processing. It's actually makes a pretty good batch language and you can re-use classes and libraries from the interactive side of your application.

That's kind of coming full-circle for me, way back in prehistoric times :-) I first started using something called "PHP/FI" as a kind of web-merge utility, taking data from MySQL and using it to create static HTML pages offline.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Go with PHP & Perl.

PERL and PHP are both good languages for web development. But so is C++. There are probably more PHP and PERL scripts available to use as a foundation to enhance or modify. But C++ is great for roll-your-own.

Quote Originally Posted by raywood1
    PERL and PHP are both good languages for web development. But so is C++. There are probably more PHP and PERL scripts available to use as a foundation to enhance or modify. But C++ is great for roll-your-own.
    How is this done? via CGI? Are there any resources you could point me to?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Good to know I am on the right track.

ABW Ambassador

C, C++, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Perl, PHP, Python

Best,

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

with c on a web environment, you'ld need to have server access (or at least a backend which allows you some ability to execute commands on the server) to compile the c program to run, just like you run the compiled c program on your own computer.

Compiling C on server
    I don't know why you have to compile a c program on the server. Actually it can be compiled on any machine as long as the compiler knows the environment and configuration of the target machine.

Depending on how you set up your application you probably need to be able to install the program on the server, but you don't have to compile it there.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread