Need Blog Application Recommendations
    I'm currently using Greymatter for my site's blog and have had several difficulties getting a RSS feed working. At this point, I'd rather switch to another application.

I looked at WordPad earlier today, but it requires PHP 4.1. My host uses 4.0.6 and does not want to upgrade because of the ecommerce systems he's using. Switching web hosts is not an option.

So...here's what I'm looking for a blog application:
    *Easy install and management. (I'm not a programmer/techie)
    *Intergrates with my web site (e.g. I can give it the same look and feel - something I've been able to do with Greymatter).
    *Much be able to generate a RSS feed
    *Inexpensive/free.
    *SEO friendly
    *Good support (either directly or via well-read online forums)

Thanks in advance.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Do you mean WordPress? I was going to write a rave review for WordPress (it'll do all you want), but when I tried to check out WordPad all I can find about *that* is the text editor type thing that comes with Windows...so it seems that you may be referring to WordPress after all...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Do you mean WordPress?
    Actually, yes. I meant WordPress. My mistake.

Can somebody recommend a good blogging program that isn't WORDPRESS or Greymatter?

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, read some problems they had with SPAM and Google. Don't know about how their software actually works.

http://photomatt.net/2005/04/01/a-response

I'm tech challenged so i use Blogger. Google owns them so i figure they throw some love their way.

I use Blogger, too, and sometimes you have to torture it to do innovative things. Right now a site of mine is using it as an event calendar by post-dating entries and running the archives daily. And since you can use external style sheets with it, so it's very flexibile.

I really like Serendipity. Unfortunately it doesn't have all the features I'd like, but I'll be building my own software that mimics some of Serendipity's features. It's very clean and easy to use. Installation was a breeze.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by infoscott
    I use Blogger, too, and sometimes you have to torture it to do innovative things. Right now a site of mine is using it as an event calendar by post-dating entries and running the archives daily. And since you can use external style sheets with it, so it's very flexibile.
    My understanding is that you cannot intergrate blogger with an existing web site. In other words, you have to set up a seperate site on blogger.

Am I correct or am I misunderstanding something about Blogger?

Try B2 from wordcafe. It's free and it is powerful.

http and a telephoto
    b2 is now wordpress. Word press is awesome, your host needs to consider upgrading php for security reasons and if he won't, you can get better hosting elsewhere. Never say changing hosts is out of the question, especially if they are using outdated software with potential security holes.

JMO.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    My understanding is that you cannot intergrate blogger with an existing web site. In other words, you have to set up a seperate site on blogger.
    You can use blogger as a publishing front end and have it send the resulting files anywhere on your site and you have full control of the template, so yes, you can integrate it with a site. I have one or two clients that use it that way.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

What infospongellc said. Under the publishing tab you specify the FTP settings for where you want the blog published. You can use bloggers template or craft your own using blogger tags, HTML, and CSS. Some sites like blogskins are libraries of templates that others have created and share out. You can either imbed a blog into an existing web page, or be clever and generate a stub blog to be incorporated via SSI or PHP. And if you want to go full bore, you can use the Blogger API and write your own application to publish to the Blogger engine (as for example Vagablog does from a Palm pilot).

We use WordPress for all blogs but one; we use MoveableType for our Savvy Shopper blog.

Am I correct or am I misunderstanding something about Blogger?
    take a look at my site electricpixel.com I intergrated blogger and it works just fine.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread