Interesting Google Algorhythm Article

Thanks for the link. I found the article very interesting, leaving a number of possible pointers to not only G**gle SEO tips, but what G**gle wants to do (is already doing)to get info to value serving results - user's cookies, favorites, and more. For those of you using the toolbar, and desktop search.

A good read.

Fred

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I uninstalled G's desktop search precisely because I thought I might be helping them with their infernal algo too much...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Good Article. I enjoyed it. It appears that some of these changes are occuring this month.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question The IRONY
    What irony: From what I gather, the new algorithm will benefit the large corporate sites and large online news services since they

-sell premium ad space to ad servers (something I will probably never do)
    -have large blocks of staff to write articles daily and continuously update content on all pages
    -have a "permanent" presence

This is consistent with what I have noticed: Large online news sites getting high rankings with pages that are barely if at all relavant.

Here's the irony: Gooogle used to be the search engine of the "proletariat " i.e. "you can't buy good rankings at goooogle!" . Now, if you are some poor sap that has some neat stuff to publish like garden tips, building plans, school resources, etc, your pages will probably not be found by this search engine. You must register your domain for 2 or more years (sounds like 10 is prefered), hire a webmaster, hire a content writer or buy content, and simply get thousands of visitors a day so that you can host doubleclick ads.

Wow!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    What irony: From what I gather, the new algorithm will benefit the large corporate sites and large online news services since they

-sell premium ad space to ad servers (something I will probably never do)
    -have large blocks of staff to write articles daily and continuously update content on all pages
    -have a "permanent" presence

This is consistent with what I have noticed: Large online news sites getting high rankings with pages that are barely if at all relavant.

Here's the irony: Gooogle used to be the search engine of the "proletariat " i.e. "you can't buy good rankings at goooogle!" . Now, if you are some poor sap that has some neat stuff to publish like garden tips, building plans, school resources, etc, your pages will probably not be found by this search engine. You must register your domain for 2 or more years (sounds like 10 is prefered), hire a webmaster, hire a content writer or buy content, and simply get thousands of visitors a day so that you can host doubleclick ads.

Wow!
    Kind of makes you wish that you had come up with the idea first doesnt it?

Site Longevity/Domain Registration
    Just checked a few pages with some of my building plans. They are again ranked well in google. (even without quotes) Woo Hoo! My father-in-law has similar types of pages but his still do not rank well. I am thinking since my domain has been registered to me longer than his, this may be a factor in this case. One of my pages is only a few months old and it still ranks well (now). My domain is on its third year (of annual registrations), so I am thinking a 2 yr domain registration may be the trick on a new domain. I am guessing that a site that has been registered for a number of years now will be fine with annual renewals.

This is probably done since spammers pick up a cheap domain and dump it for a new one once exposed and banned.

My database-created pages are still in the google doghouse, and will probably stay there. In fact, some are not even indexed.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Interesting thought Cheesehead but what about when you buy a domain or in my case I bought an expiried domain name that had a google penalty. At the time I did not know about the penalty, my domain could be 10 years old as far as google knows.

With regard to the penalty I really wouldn't know what they will do. I did obtain a newly expired domain once and google awarded me with the former sites traffic for a month or so. Then I was on my own.

I obtained a new domain this last December. I have a lot of very good content and have a few good backlinks. My yahoo traffic on the index page alone (which all they have) is about 3 times the traffic from all the pages indexed in google (they indexed every page). Google doesn't seem to like new sites - in this case it may? have helped to register for 2 or more years.

ABW Ambassador
    how about if someone registers a domain that is brand new.....have never been used?
    i couldnt find how google is handling this case

Short-story: I've had the same experience as Cheesehead.

Fred

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread