Angry Outlook - Email replication
    For the first time, I got hit with some kind of virus - Norton and McAffie couldn't find it. What was happening was I would go through email, delete ones no longer needed and would be going along fine for about a half hour and Outlook would stop functioning -an error message would appear that said out of resources and/or memory - please close other programs, etc. I would close the other programs. But Outlook would then crash saying it was unable to save the view.

After rebooting, I reopened Outlook which automatically connects to my ISP and it started downloading 495 more emails. Many looked like exact duplicates of emails already received (and some deleted). So this time as I went along deleting dups and going though mail in alpha order, I deleted permanetly as I went along. Got through the A's and started on the B's when again it reported I ran out of resources (no other program was open but when I checked the CPU usage, Outlook was running at 97-100 percent.

Again I shut down. rebooted. opened Outlook and almost 500 additonal emails came in -- I'm now up to 2,400 emails in my in-box. I shut down Outlook and decided to get some work done on some sites.

I figured something got through all the filters - dang if I knew. Then I decided to create a new .pst file and I moved all of my inbox to the newly created .pst file. The emails finally stopped coming. So it appears that I was able to isolate the problem - at least to a .pst file where what ever created the replicated emails were'nt able to continue doing that.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? All I know is it will take a while to get through the nearly 2500 emails (plus the approximately 1000 that were already read, but I kept for one reason or another). Wow, what a waste of time...

Update - only a short term solution. I was greeted by 580 new emails - many of them with old dates -- whatever virus this is replacates emails like crazy. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with?

Yikes ... have you tried doing a free online scan to see if they pick up something? Might be worth a shot to try other brand software for scan results.

Best-o-luck!
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; April 4th, 2005 at 09:51 PM. Reason: mispelling
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Just re-opened Outlook and 600 more emails came rushing in - that's after adding more security from McAfee. It would appear that my main email account is trashed. I'll check for any free scans - maybe there's something that scans Outlook specifically (I run Outlook 2000)

Paul;
    Try Panda Virus Scan at www.pandasoftware.com They have a free online scan (on the left near the bottom). It finds a lot that Norton misses, and you can scan just your email so it won't take a long time.
    Ken

Are you sure these emails arent legit... what I mean, could they have been saved on the server? When Outlook crashed, could they have been downloaded to the client, again. Just a thought...

I had this happen once, but it wasn't a virus. If I remember right, it was actually a combination of Norton Antivirus (which came preinstalled on my new laptop), too frequent of a checking time (once a minute for some accounts), and a large number of emails that was causing it. If all the emails didn't download before it was time to check again, Norton would crash Outlook. I switched to Lavasoft AVG, which I prefer.

Your problem may be totally different, but that's what had happened to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

When I checked this mornging there were only a few additional emails received during the night.

I removed Norton Anti-virus in favor of the McAffee Security Suite 7.0

I also run ZoneLabs Firewall

Outlook checks email every two minutes - I'll change this to manual for the time being.

From the 3 cycles of emails received I was able to determine the following.
    1) Emails are "legitmate" emails that I previously downloaded from the bellsouth.net server for the period 3/29 through 4/4. The "Replicated" emails appear to be received from the original sender, not as a result of something sending to my email address originating from myself.
    2) If I do not read or delete an email, I do not find that another replication.
    3) If I delete or read an email, then that email is received again from the server as if it were the first time being delivered.
    4) Bellsouth stated everything is "fine" on their end and thought it might be a worm or virus of some type.
    5) Number "2" above has not been proven over a 24 hour period - once I return home tonight - I can see if my theory holds up.
    6) My Outlook did crash -- twice -- while trying to read through the messages - it would run out of resources and freeze which required the alt-control-delete termination of the program.

I checked Outlook addins and all appeared appropriate - most were from McAfee.

Results of a full virus scan turned up 3 suspect files from "apachefriends" but otherwise came up clean.

I realize now this may take another day or two to isolate completely once I'm able to implement some of your suggestions.

I'll keep you updated so if it happens to others on the board, they can see what I did along with suggetions from others to reduce the impact to their email.

My theory that only the emails that I read or deleated were replacated didn't hold true. I returned home - it looked pretty normal -- only 40 or so new emails. But everything was frozen. Once I rebooted and brought up Outlook, I was greeted with 653 emails this time. McAfee has a premium service where they take over your PC and excise the viruses. Wonder if they come with a money back guaranteed?

almost forgot -- I'm downloading the Panda software trial that works with other anti-virus products (McAfee) to see if it can find the problem(s) with Outlook first.

This is unbelievable - Decided to have McAfee premium service rid the virus or whatever it was that was causing it - turns out it is an issue with McAfee SmamKiller software that couses the email to replicate like that. Patch is in the works but it looks like the end is in sight. Still have to wade through over 3000 emails but it shoud be faster if I can delete known duplicates. And I was wondering what to do this weekend...

Can you check your mail on the web & delete it there instead of opening Outlook and downloading all that dreck?

I could - the interface isn't nearly as nice as Outlook. I think it will be some time before I'll ever use McAfee SpamKiller again. Too bad I purchased their security suite before finding out their program caused all of my problems. I'll have to find a replacement program for SpamKiller - Any favorites out there?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread