l@rger_th@n_life
    How to get my feet wet?
    Hello,

After reading for about a month or so, I want to get my feet wet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how/start my first AM site. Any ideas/rules I should follow.

I have read about starting on a really niche site, what if your niche is really saturated for example I am a php programmer and make scripts for my clients. The problem is that this industry is really saturated and has so many people in it.

Should I make a site on something that is of personal interest?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

hi
    its not something i can help you with ..
    but for sure someone will be along soon..
    welcome
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb Hello
    Hello "bigdaddy"

send me Email

I would focus on the site building end first, find a nice that you think you can make 10 solid pages of content about. It doesn't have to be the best site in the niche, but it should have some useful info. Learn to build traffic to it, learn to see what people get from it and what is popular. Start weaving in some affiliate stuff, Amazon is easy to get start with, if a little saturated. It's a good learning experience anyway. After you do that for a few months you'll have learned a lot & will have a better understanding of what you might be good at and where you want to go from there.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

l@rger_th@n_life
    that sounds like a good idea, good way to start small heheh

Thanks tim. any one else out there

No reason why you can't start small, even minuscule! One site I built for Julia Gnuse uses an Amazon link to a book that pictures the woman with whom she shares the Guinness record for tattoos. Another site helps people who do beaded jewelry. The latter site averages a couple of Ebay bid/BINs a day with about a 10% conversion rate and click through rate. The first site I started an AdWord compaign that only costs me $2 a day max (up to a whopping fifteen cents so far).

Neither sites are making me rich, but they are great learning experiences.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hey that is true,

I think I am tapping into what i really like and personal interest. Here are 2 options i came up with, they are rough ideas but nothing final yet.

1) Somethign related to saving the world peacefull stuff.
    2) My deep interest in flight/planes and techonlogy.

I dont know if these are any good or worth while but i am still thinking and writing them down.

Saving the world peacefully is a good one. I started a blog site related to that on Irish reunification, and another one on buying sustainable products. The former only has one Celtic jewelry affiliate, the latter one will have a lot of natural and environmentally friendly products. You can also host fair trade products on such a site. I believe there is no surplus on saving the world peacefully sites and would like to see more.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hello,

Alot of people say read this forum its good, but I dont know exactly which forum topic to read into and go looking for posts. I have tried searches but no success there. There are so many topics in this forum that i am getting lost (Being A NOOB sux)

Can anyone recommend me any good forum topics that I can look into instead of going aimlesslly.
    Thank you in advance.

Click on that "new posts" button a few times a day and cherry pick things that seem interesting. That will lead you to further exploration. :-)

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

The information can get overwhelming here when you are new, but they are so many nuggets of gold waiting for you to discover them. And the value will be different to each person depending upon what you are doing.

I have done both purely sales sites and content sites that have products for sale related to my topic. Many, many people have a lot of success with strictly sales sites, I have had the most success with sites that are a combination of products and unique content.

Since you brought up content ideas, here is a good way to get started. You've already started brainstorming ideas of what you enjoy writing about. Now start doing some research as to what affiliate programs you can link to those topics. What would someone who is interested in world peace buy? Are there affiliate programs offering those products? Abestweb is a great place to start looking at featured merchants and seeing if you can incorporate their products into your theme.

Hope that helps some.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hello,

I have been thininkg for a while and this is what my plan of actions is. Instead of starting something new I was thinking if i should market a shoping cart iwth products. My father currently operates 2 stores which retail in kids clothing.

I am thinking of starting off by bringing his business online as in shopping cart etc.. and try to market it.

I want to know if this could be a good idea to start practicing SEO/MArketing starategies. The only thing I am afraid of is that shopping carts are all dynamic and how well will I rank in the SE's. I was planning on making one static page as the index with flyer etc.. but still am uncertain.

Do you guys think this could be a good way for me to start?

bigdaddysheikh -
    Personally I don't think STARTING out as MERCHANT is the way to go.

Having a shopping cart is GREAT but getting people to use it with no online sales experience under your belt is another story.

Your first response was the best one - START SMALL - Something YOU like to do - sell products that YOU would buy yourself. It is a lot easier to sell stuff that you are interested in and would buy yourself.

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hello,

Yea that is nice but it is hard to think of a niche. It's hard to find an idea to sell so that is why I was gonna do the shopping cart, but i guess you are correct. I did some work for a guy and he makes about $1000 g selling his products online and he has no previous expereince in marketing as I did all his shoping cart programing and all.

I guess I have to keep looking through what I can do, where to start as I am just starting my journey.

Thank you once again for your advice

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hello,

I think i have got it, I have been soo stupid I feel like an idiot. I got my content site, it is going to be about an musical instrument i bought last year. This way I can learn more about it and right content about my expereince/tutorials I come across.

I am going to start here I doubt i can profit from it but I can test marketing strategies that i pick up here. I apologize once again for my posts.

I finally found the idea haha I hope others read this and get confidence in starting thier sites just like this (by finding your hobby or your interests and look outside the box)

Thank you all

You may want to read this post as well..
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56974

Just In Case

I am going to start here I doubt i can profit from it but I can test marketing strategies that i pick up here.
    If that is a good idea, wouldn't a better idea to pick something that you can profit? You can still test marketing strategies, but if they do well, you'll also make a profit. With the other idea if your marketing strategies work you'll then have to build a site around something that will make money.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

l@rger_th@n_life
    Hello,

That is quite true and i will try to do both things at once, try for my musical instrument site and try to market the shopping cart, the problem is that for me it, it is quite hard to figure out which market/niche to go into as I just want to step in through the door.

as addhandler said, if I have no sales experience, I will just be guessing on how to sell my product and not have a good strategy.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    What about building a site teaching php? I would be there studying your page. I wonder if there are others that would study your pages to learn what you know.

I've built lots of web sites using old fashion html. I was thrilled to discover a html editor the first time!

One thing I learned during all those long hours of typing out html was that it's easy to build pages about something you know, but more fun to build pages about something you like.

What about building a site teaching php? I would be there studying your page. I wonder if there are others that would study your pages to learn what you know.
    Hi Lectrickitty,

You can try these links if you want to learn some PHP for FREE.

PHP introductory tutorial

PHP Manual

Sal.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Hi Sal,

Thanks for the info.

Lectric

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    bigdaddysheikh -
    Personally I don't think STARTING out as MERCHANT is the way to go.

Having a shopping cart is GREAT but getting people to use it with no online sales experience under your belt is another story.

Your first response was the best one - START SMALL - Something YOU like to do - sell products that YOU would buy yourself. It is a lot easier to sell stuff that you are interested in and would buy yourself.
    I have to disagree.
    THINK BIG!
    Make your retail store.
    If you are PHP inclined, check out using www.creloaded.com open source software.
    You may also be able to pick up clients on the CRELoaded site. Folks there are looking for help, some will pay.
    It is also a high traffic forum so your contributions will not go un-noticed.

Reg
    www.DotCom-Productions.com

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread