Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Question Wide Screen TV Time
    Hi All

Time to get a big TV and Home Theatre.

Right now I'm looking at a few options ranging from plasma to LCD.

What I understand is that plasma give the best picture but can suffer from burn in and have an unknown life, LCD are cheaper but the image isn't as sharp and there are now a few other types floating around too.

Expert opinions appreciated. Home Theatre wise I'm looking at wireless options (dogs and kids to avoid) as I don't want to go about digging up the floor to lay cables

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

While I'm at it what's better EDTV or HDTV, assume I'm going to be using the TV mainly for Cable, DVD and X Box games.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Look into DLP models, longer life span than both plasma and LCD and a great picture. They are not as "thin" as plasma or LCD but have a great picture, no burn, pixels burning out. The bulbs might blow out but in many models you can replace them yourself (bulbs are something like $200 though) I just went through the whole research process, but I ended up just buying a rear projection, cheaper and its only TV, can't see spending $3000 on something I do not watch that much

Edited for response to post #2, can't use a rear projection with video games, well you can but the tv will not last very long. I'm not up to speed on EDTV but HDTV is great but only a limited number of channels have HD. Cable company will usually give you the hd box for the same price as digital so get the HD box

my experience is that LCD looks better than Plasma but that may just be me.

i have neither so what do i know. A friend recently purchased a 60" LCD HDTV and to be honest, that picture looks pretty crappy when the signal is NOT HDTV. I reckon that should only last a few more years as more channels move over..

I'd go for anything that would safe for your kids' eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Expert opinions appreciated. Home Theatre wise I'm looking at wireless options (dogs and kids to avoid) as I don't want to go about digging up the floor to lay cables
    This might be too late (aka, you allready bought the TV) .

Im no expert, but I did see a show on HGTV which had these wires that are flat and can be placed right on the wall or ceiling. You put putty/sheet rock mud right over them. sand, then paint. No wires in sight. Very cool product : FlatWire

Did you get your TV ?

Did you go with Plasma, LCD, or .... ??

If you didnt pick on up yet, I'd reccommend an LCD HDTV. Just picked up a 42" WS myself and i absolutley love it. From what I hear, plasma TVs dont have a reputation for lasting a long time.

ABW Ambassador
    I like the best picture possible so the next TV i'm getting will be a HDTV tube TV.

Easy to understand guide about the different TV's:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UgkvOwDh14E/guides/tv/

Also would check out Consumer Reports, i always check that out before making a big purchase.

Chris - are you gonna have us all over to watch it with you..??
    I'll bring a case of beer!

ABW Ambassador
    try avsforum.com for REAL advice.. some of the FAQ's are good...

The LCD screens have made a lot of progress lately. They give the clearest picture and never get blurry like the older plasmas (i hear that is solved). With an LCD be sure to look at the brightness - some super-cheap models have a low brightness levels.

Projectors are great if you only watch tv/movies at night or have a dark room that you like to hang out in.

I am moving in a couple of months and plan to replace all my tubes with LCD's. My bedroom tv will be a small 15 or 17inch connected to an arm so i can push it completely out of the way or into the middle of the bed. The bar will also have a couple of smallish LCD screens. The thing I cant decide on is the primary 'movie' screen. I think because of the size of the greatroom I may be best off going with a 27in lcd for personal viewing and then a projector for company & DVD's.

I heard there is a highly reflective paint that is made for 'painting' a projector screen on your wall. Anyone know anything about it or what the name of the manufacturer is?

Not bought it yet

Still 50/50 on LCD vs Plasma , the DLP ones I have seen don't look so hot.

Chris - are you gonna have us all over to watch it with you..??
    I'll bring a case of beer!
    Any time , I'll provide the beer and BBQ

Cheers

Chris

Well, I haven't tried any of the LCD or plasma's yet, my 65" Hitachi wide screen tv and surround sound turn my basement into our own movie theater, so I've no desire to buy anything new yet.

ABW Ambassador
    As a speaker-geek, I must advise you to stay away from wireless. I'll hold back my rants about how wireless goes against all that is pure and good with audio reproduction, but just count this post as a "no" vote.

We are in the same situation(trying to decide which to buy). Have you decided yet Chris? I think I might just get a large screen crt like http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitac...oductDetail.do for now...cause it's so hard to decide

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Lola. I got outbid on my new home & have to go back down to NC to find another to buy. My choice is going to be based on room size and amount of natural light in the afternoon and evening.

Lola, the screen you linked to is a rear-projection system, not a tube. Rear projection systems are not all that bright and have problems in rooms with lots of ambient light. That is why many electronics stores have them in special dark rooms. Pure CRT tubes are going to give a fantastic picture but are huge and heavy and have limited screen sizes.

CRT tubes, plasma and lcd all perform well with natural ambient light present.

Here's what I want:

13 X 16 Foot

Only $9,999.00

====================

But, seriously I've seen and heard that Sony’s Grand WEGA™ Integrated LCD Rear Projection High Definition TVs are some of the best technology out there for about a quarter of the price of plasma.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

HDTV is better than EDTV. EDTV is just a regular picture with Digital Sound. HDTV is Digital Picture and Digital Sound. HDTV will always look better than EDTV.

LCD and Plasma tvs are basically the same crap just a different name. But since Both LCD and Plasma TVS deliver better picture than regular tube TVs when you watch a SD program on a LCD or Plasma the picture may be crappy because the LCD and Plasma tv screens have a chip to basically upconvert the SD program and this will cause imperfections in the SD feed to be exagerated and make the picture look crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    HDTV is better than EDTV. EDTV is just a regular picture with Digital Sound. HDTV is Digital Picture and Digital Sound. HDTV will always look better than EDTV.
    EDTV is progressive so it looks quite a bit better than regular sdtv

As a speaker-geek, I must advise you to stay away from wireless. I'll hold back my rants about how wireless goes against all that is pure and good with audio reproduction, but just count this post as a "no" vote.
    So you think diggin up the floor or putting tubing around the wall is worth the extra hassle yes? Not sure I want to dig up the floor, but I can survice wth a pipe around the wall to keep the cables away from kids and dogs.

Haiko.... looks like it could fall into the pool and double as a life raft

Cheers

Chris

But, seriously I've seen and heard that Sony’s Grand WEGA™ Integrated LCD Rear Projection High Definition TVs are some of the best technology out there for about a quarter of the price of plasma.
    That's the main brand being pushed here, I have a Sony WEGA now (normal TV) does a great job...though funny enough I seem to get better picture quality from my XBox than my DVD player....

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    So you think diggin up the floor or putting tubing around the wall is worth the extra hassle yes? Not sure I want to dig up the floor, but I can survice wth a pipe around the wall to keep the cables away from kids and dogs.

Haiko.... looks like it could fall into the pool and double as a life raft

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Did you check out that Flat Wire that I posted about? That could solve your problem with wires and your dogs.

I saw it on HGTV episode and you can place it right on the wall and then paint right over it. You cant see the wires after your done

Smile
    Did you get your TV Chris?? I got mine, and I LOVE it!! http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...LR5656WX%2fXAA

I can't believed I lived with HDTV before now, watching baseball is like having the game in your livingroom!

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I am in my new home in Chapel Hill NC. We got outbid on a couple of homes so my room sizes changed. We eventualy scooped up a 50's ranch with a daylight walkout finished basement that was converted into a full apartment.

Since it was built in the 50's, none of the rooms are huge. We got two WinBook 32" LCD TV's for a grand each from MicroCenter. (wait for a sale & Rebate) One went in the living room upstairs and one in the lower level living room. We also picked up a 19" LCD for the bedroom. No more tubes in the house!!

If you've got the area for it, two words - Front Projector.

Nothing like watching a movie or playing xbox on a 8 foot plus screen, it is absolutely awesome.

Drawbacks: it can take some tweaking to get it perfect, but some dlp units come pretty close out of the box.

Need a light controlled environment. There are new screen materials out that handle the ambient light though. Still a current problem.

Wires? No problem. Overhead in the attic, under the crawlspace, or under the carper. Lots of options there.

You can buy an awesome FP for a grand - 1200. Build a screen for a hundred bucks, or buy a good one for less than 500.

The biggest problem? You won't want to leave the house.

If you don't go this route, go HDTV for sure. 1080p will probably be the standard before long, get it if you can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast