2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Cool Looks like IBM has exited the affiliate scene
    Dear Michael,

This letter is to inform you that the IBM Affiliate Program will be
    sunset effective April 30, 2005. We'd like to thank for your
    participation and support. Please consider this your notice as
    required by the IBM Web Marketing Agreement. Please remove all links to ibm.com by May 1 to comply with the terms
    established in the above agreement. No commissions or fees will be
    paid for any traffic and revenue to ibm.com after April 30. Final
    commissions and fees will be paid in May for April activity.

Once again, we appreciate your participation and wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Casey L. Gentry
    U.S. Affiliate Marketing Program Manager
    ibm.com

Now selling out the IBM PC division to the Chinese seems to finally impact their ecommerce division. The program was on auto-pilot for years anyway with no effort to add individual product links. At least they were the only major merchnat who offered legit affiliates a 5 cent per click fee bonus,from the BF coded links, knowing leakage factors into their program conversion ratio. I'll miss them as they did convert and did offer nice deals on IBM closeouts too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

maybe those that bought that division will offer a program. How's your Chinese?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    maybe those that bought that division will offer a program. How's your Chinese?
    LOL!

I got the first letter a couple of weeks ago. Gotta love the business jargon, "Sunset."

Hey, someone there figured it didn't make any money for them. I know it made very liitle for me

Fred

Sunset wasn't even used correctly. When a law or program meets its schedule end without renewal, that's "sunset". When a program is terminated before the end of its natural life, that's "put down".

ABW Ambassador

I recently saw an IBM advertising banner on the Internet served up by DoubleClick, went to the DoubleClick web site to find out about IBM banners, got redirected to Performics, emailed Performics inquiring about IBM, haven't had a reply, which I understand is the normal state of affairs with Performics.

Andy Rodriquez should run IBM's affiliate program, IMVHO

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I'll miss them as they did convert and did offer nice deals on IBM closeouts too.

I'll miss IBM's 90 day cookie, the longest that I was aware of for computer merchants. It is too bad other computer merchants do not offer 90 day cookies.

RadarCat, Webmaster

I could run the IBM program above the level they shot for in my spare time. Product links and landing pages to their closeout and off-lease sections would generate affiliate sales. Wonder what the Chinese have in store for value-added resellers? Guess their expertise is throwing spam at the traffic problem.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Question IBM-Lenovo
    I could run the IBM program above the level they shot for in my spare time.

Mike,

I am absolutely sure that you and/or Andy could. Unhappily, IBM tended to neglect their affiliate program, for whatever reason or reasons that will probably only be known to IBM insiders.

Maybe Lenovo, the Chinese outfit that bought most of the IBM PC Division, will become a good affiliate merchant. At this point in time, however, I don't know how long IBM intends to keep the IBM logo on their machines.

Computers are an international business, after all. Just because the Chinese say they are Communists doesn't mean that they won't want to make a lot of money. The IBM-Lenono factories can turn out millions of PCs. Maybe in time they would make a good applicant for your SAFE HAVEN NETWORK.

I think IBM could have worked harder to cut costs to make a profit with their PC Division and avoided selling the Division that truly changed the course of history. I get the feeling that once a person joins IBM they tend to forget what hard work is.

Let's hope Chairman Mao is rolling over in his grave!

Ron

RadarCat, "Webmaster and Running Dog of Capitalism"

I spent some time in Beijing about 10 years ago. The people if given an opportunity were very happy to embrace capitalism & I saw a lot more venturous business spirit there than I do in many places in the USA right now.

There's no way IBM could make a profit with the PC division. That ship sailed a long time ago. All their growth is in services, not selling boxes. The profit margin on (most) hardware isn't large enough to support the corporate culture they have there.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

If I had any creatives for individual product links I sure could have done more then a few sporatic sales. Their closeout section matched Computer Geeks and TD prices and beat the others on true IBM supported systems and notebooks. I set up a side side years ago for a IBM and HP dealer selling their closeouts and off-lease equip. They average 160,000 per month in sales from the site and on eBay.

ABW Ambassador
    I set up a side side years ago for a IBM and HP dealer selling their closeouts and off-lease equip. They average 160,000 per month in sales from the site and on eBay.
    Sounds like a nice business. I wonder how someone stuck on the edge of nowhere could get into something like selling big name closeouts and off-lease equipment on a web site and ebay?

RadarCat, Webmaster

ABW Ambassador
    Au Revoir, IBM !!

Au Revoir, IBM !!

RadarCat, Webmaster

I didn't get any notice and I am in their program.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread