Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Are you afraid?
    Hello Everyone,

We are all busy doing something, but the time has come to put and end to parasites. (at least cause major changes) It will happen. Will you say I helped?

We cannot do this alone, support from all affiliates, managers, merchants, OPM, and networks must be priority if anyone is going to listen.

If you missed my post http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=56696 the site quality-affiliates is now ready to add your url to your sites, ect.

Are you afraid that others will call you parasitic and not true. Well no action is worse. There is nothing worse than claiming to be parasite-free but you do not show it.

Don't ever talk to me again. Take no action, and I never want to hear from you again. (not really, but I have to strike a nerve so that you know what I mean)

Take action now and present yourself, your site, your company or your program as truly parasite free to the world. I know there are many affiliates opposed. All I ask is that each time you have 2 minutes send me a link or url of your program or merchant or site, anything that you support as parasite free or you find that educates others to: qa @quality-affiliates.com

The spyware, adware parasite issue has gotten worse, and it's going to get worse. Too many software, marketing programs trying to take over through networks even Indie programs each day. It will not be easy, some we might never change. But if enough of us show a true stance, it will be changed.

I credit many here for their stance and some for the work they do to help educate affiliates and others about what is really happening with the networks, merchants, ect. One person I credit the most is Haiko. For he has tried so many times to cause positive change against parasites but each time is left alone, or attacked. The one major service he has done for all of us is to create ABW, but he cannot do all of it alone either.

If its one goal I have is to make sure we all see this dream of networks and merchants being parasite free. So that affiliates and others never loose money, among other issues, to parasites again.

I can easily start putting links to affiliates and those merchants, OPM programs, managers, that I know ARE parasite free. Friends, you know I can do it, and I have already added some. Some were already among the first to show support, like Designerwiz.com. But I will not do it alone. I do not want to take sole credit, I want all of us to look a head and say WE did it together.

In the end, the only thing I can do is blame myself for starting something that did not work because no one really cared and had their own agenda. I have NO agenda, besides convincing the networks to take the next step and rid the parasites, educating merchants and helping affiliates in the end.

Did I strike a nerve, good. Participate, I know you have time, no excuses.

BTW, I know some affiliates do not like to show their sites in public. I understand, I am sure many of you have at least one specific category site that has no parasitic merchants on it, even if its an old ugly site, if you don't have one, then create one today. Even just one site created for this stance is support enough.

It's up to you to cause change!

So us sending you our url's will do what for the fight against parasites? Why would we want to send an affiliate our url's? I don't care if you want to talk to me or not, as a matter of fact, I think you'd be a good candidate for the ignore button, but that's from reading previous posts you've participated in. Everybody can call me parasitic if they want, I don't care because I'm not. If you want to do something, educate merchants, that's the only way this is going to get shut down. Me, I try to make as much money as I can in a program, that way I got a little leverage when I bring up parasites, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sure, I'm in some programs that have parasites, I'm just not making enough money in them for anyone to listen to me yet. But just listing my sites on a website and saying we don't like parasites won't make a difference and I don't think anyone will care.

Direct some merchants here if you want to help, www. r e v e n e w s.com, scroll past the ebay spam and read some of Porter's interviews and articles on 180 solutions.

I have perhaps a better idea. Why don't we all liberally sprinkle links on our sites to programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot, explaining and encouraging users to clean their systems of filfth? I noticed when I ran them both on my system here at work it unearthed 180 links I wasn't even aware of. It gives the customer an opportunity to establish trust with us, so that when we educate them on the evils of parasiteware they have a reason to give up their rebate and other bad links when we ask them to.

The problem reminds me a lot of the drug trade. Coca leaves can be sprayed with weed killer, or junkies can be cleaned up. Until the market dries up there will be scum that will go in and try to service the market.

Just a thought.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Fat chance of me giving up on Tar & Feathering the parasites pushing spyware/adware/malware upon my shoppers or clients systems. Feed back from Microsoft on shelling out millions for GiantCompany.com is it was the best security investment they've made in recent years. It will become the Gold Standard of the Anti parasite detect/removal programs.

I spent part of Monday at GM/EDS home office supervising a test installation on their Help Desk operators networked PC's of an application that completely neuters all existing and future exploits of the Adwhores funding adware/spyware/trojans. The results will also be forwarded to Microsoft, as was the test results done by Keylabs Inc. for outright purchase decisions by Bill Gates & crew of www.GreenBorder.com

Hopefully they'll listen to passing through network return day tracking cookies, but no network pays me a cent for lobbying work. They also could monitize this parasite killer, that never requires any updates when installed, if they choose my suggestion to license browser and e-mail pipelines to legit apps as a safe "file save" feature. I called it a DESKTOP FIREWALL the first time I saw it in action at last month's Wayne State University computer security conference.

Must read for all you Adwhores and parasites thinking your cash cows can't be killed. Call it one of my volunteer labors of love! My gift to the business and home users of internet connected systems unable to credit my referral traffic sales to my account.

http://www.keylabs.com/results/Green...reenBorder.pdf
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Until the market dries up there will be scum that will go in and try to service the market.

As long as there is some money to be made, some people will even sell their ******, for a few bucks.

C'est la vie.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Aragorn: "Are you frightened?"

Affiliate Marketer Frodo: "Yes."

Aragorn: "Not nearly enough. I know what hunts you. the Nazgul, er, I mean Parasites!"
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Companion Hobbit Affiliate: "They'll not come near me while I'm wielding my trusty Stingers."

Internet Cowboy
    Jorge,
    Shoes.com and shoedini are in no way parasite free.

Mike…

I just read that entire report… out damn standing…!
    I’ll probably sign on for the Free test drive when it becomes
    available… any idea what the price may be after the free test drive?

Jorge…

Keep up the good work buddy… the largest flood starts
    with but a single raindrop… so don’t get discouraged…

Another thing that I think will help a lot in this battle… is for
    everyone concerned to write to their congressmen and urge them
    to support the legislation now being proposed in the house and senate…

Specifically… The bill making it’s way through the House of Representatives
    sponsored by Mary Bono (R-Calif) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) ... that seeks
    to establish fines for spyware violations at levels between $11,000.00 and
    $3,000,000.00... depending on the severity of the violation…

And especially….”The Spyblock Act” co sponsored by…
    Senator Conrad Burns (R-Montana) along with colleagues...
    Senator Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) and Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.)
    That is now being considered in the Senate…

In his speech introducing the Spyblock legislation, Sen Burns said…

“It is time to call the bad-actors to account and keep these hackers from
    hiding in the shadows of hard drives across the country. The Spyblock Act
    will put the power back into computer users’ hands. It will allow consumers
    to decide when programs can be installed on their computers and will punish
    those who deceitfully make that decision for them..."

The point is... that these brave warriors can’t do it by themselves…
    They need to get the congressional votes to pass legislation into law…
    So… I think we can all be a big help with this by contacting our own
    representatives in congress and urging them to support this legislation.
    Especially… The Spyblock Act

fwiw
    Bob
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

scohaz,

I hope that you don't get offended but,.............................

Ever since you changed your avatar, I can't read any of your posts without looking at it first and I seriously can't relay on your text, without thinking that a guy in jail is the one making the post.

I really like Who's on First? by Abbott and Costello but, not by scohaz in jail.

Sal.

Internet Cowboy
    Sal,
    LOL.
    That is Otis from the Andy Griffith show. A great character who was the town drunk and went to the jail and locked himself in when he was done with a drinking binge.
    You are not the first to comment on that, but that's ok. I have more pictures and will change it soon just for you :-)
    ScoHaz

That is Otis from the Andy Griffith show.
    I just don't like to see one of me favorite ABW posters behind bars, whether it's Otis or Costello.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    Sal,
    LOL.
    That is Otis from the Andy Griffith show. A great character who was the town drunk and went to the jail and locked himself in when he was done with a drinking binge.
    ScoHaz
    OMG - that's who it is. I knew the face but couldn't place it.

Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    webpartner, the problem with that legislation is it goes after "spyware" while zango and others will insist they are not spyware. Which is why they have reps on the panels, so they can demonize spyware, and then claim adware is a-okay! The real trick is to get your rep to understand that spyware = adware and they both need to be dealt with.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    webpartner, the problem with that legislation is it goes after "spyware" while zango and others will insist they are not spyware. Which is why they have reps on the panels, so they can demonize spyware, and then claim adware is a-okay! The real trick is to get your rep to understand that spyware = adware and they both need to be dealt with.
    Amen to that!

“The real trick is to get your rep to understand
    that spyware = adware and they both need to be dealt with….”

Exactly…! And that’s why it’s so important that we all contact
    them and educate them as much as we can… it’s especially pertinent
    because The Spyblock Act does deal with adware because of the
    the way that they are proposing that it be implemented…

They are planning on stopping drive by down loads and confusing
    terms of agreement of ALL SOFTWARE… which will affect adware too

“The Spyblock Act relies on a common-sense approach to prohibit the
    Installation of software on consumers’ computers without notice, consent
    and reasonable uninstall procedures. The notice and consent approach that
    the Spyblock Act takes would end the methods that some bad-actors use
    to secretly download programs onto computers. It will force providers to
    give consumers clear and conspicuous notice that a software program will
    be downloaded to their computers and requires user consent.”

It may be called the SpyBlock act, but it doesn’t mention spyware…
    it’s intent is to stop this activity by all software…! Including adware…!

But… It can only work if this language doesn’t get removed thereby
    gutting the whole thing from the beginning…

I admit that it doesn’t deal with pop ups, overs, unders, etc… But…
    If it can stop drive-bys and the tricky wording used to get people to
    download bundled apps… then we’ll have made a giant leap forward!

I agree that the adware jerks are going to try to separate themselves
    from the spyware jerks… but that’s exactly where a good call in or
    write in campaign could do the most good and I for one am going to do it!
    And I urge anyone who cares about this industry to do likewise...
    I think that this is a giant step in the right direction…

fwiw
    Bob
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Internet Cowboy
    OK. I went back to Mr. Haney from Green Acres, another wonderful character.
    No matter what you needed, no matter where you were, Mr. Haney had it and was always close by. Of course his quality wasn't always the best, and his price was usually too high, but he had it by goodness!
    Now...back on topic.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    Sal,
    LOL.
    You are not the first to comment on that, but that's ok. I have more pictures and will change it soon just for you :-)
    ScoHaz
    I'm waiting for a Barney Fife avatar - he's my favorite!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Uh ....I am supposed to defeat parasites by giving you my site URLs. Uh, OK. Sure. Will put that right on the to do list.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Internet Cowboy
    Jorge,
    Some will beat you up for even trying, even if they never do anything on their own to eliminate parasites they will belittle your efforts. Keep a thick skin in the face of this adversity. Don't give up!

It will take more than a note to a merchant in your signature if we are to get anything done on this front. A few people have emerged lately on ABW in the fight for what is right and I must say I applaud their efforts. Of course their are others who do this kind of work, but there seems to be some kind of territorial battle for supremacy among them and that is counterproductive in every way. We all have something at stake here. There is not one affiliate on this board who is not affected by a parasite in one way or another on a regular basis.

Jorge, I really don't agree with your idea, but I applaud you just the same for taking the time and doing something. If more people took time and actually did something instead of bashing the efforts of those who ARE doing something, we might find the magic combination sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, it is as if we are not only fighting the parasites, but also the networks (SAS excepted). My only suggestion to your efforts is that you might want to look a little closer at merchants you are considering as parasite free.

I would love to see a hundred or so people get together for a few days and have nothing but workshops and idea exchanges on how to best address this issue. Not how to get rid of them particularly, but how to best get organized so that we are able to find a solution. There seem to be many schools of thought here. Some take the direct "in your face" approach while others are much more cautious and subdued in their efforts.

One thing is for sure. If anyone has a motive of making a lot of money as a parasite crimefighter, that will be difficult because of the number of people who are willing to fight for free, because they are protecting their livelihood. All you need is an old computer and a copy of Windows Media Encoder and you can make a compelling case to any of thousands upon thousands of merchants, schools, newspapers, government agencies or any other entity with a web site.

Keep up your work Jorge. I may disagree with your approach but I am only one man. Do not be discouraged by me or anyone who might try to disparage you.

Quote Originally Posted by webpartner
    “The Spyblock Act relies on a common-sense approach to prohibit the
    Installation of software on consumers’ computers without notice..."
    Only thing I hope that doesnt happen is that Congress add a bunch of amendments which makes this too generic and possibly hinder the web.... such as above could be looked at as all javascript.... just a thought/worry...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Amen to that!
    Double Ditto!!!

For me I'd much rather see the Spybot Act reading more along the lines of say the MI legislation and not the CA legislation. Any contact I have with Federal legislatures will be to tell them the Spybot Act needs work yet and in the end may well just make several applications/practices legitimate. There is a reason we are seeing many of the adware companies putting anti-spyware statements and removal apps with their stuff. Some very good reasons from their perspective (bad ones from ours).

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your responses, suggestions and help.

Those that replied and emailed in support, thanks as always. I know who you are. Don't worry if we disagree on procedures, a reply and communication among friends is better than those that do not ever reply, discuss or offer positive suggestions or might even suggest the "ignore button" Don't worry either, I never ignore.

The ethical community working together is what is important. I have listened and made minor changes on site and signature, etc. Since we are waiting for other scripts programs to help monitor who is parasitic or not I will only add those that are NOT on ebates for now. But rapidly searhing scripts for 180, whenU, etc. to monitor them as well.

From drewbert's post here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...light=drewbert

So for you affiliate managers (and anyone interested in monitoring certain merchants, just PM me with your email addy and the list of merchants you want to monitor at ebates and igive, and I'll add you to the database.
    Since I originally added an old managed program to the database I have still been receiving the ebates list everyday. This a great script and works daily. With the help of Drewbert's script and with other methods to monitor, I will add to the database those I list as opposed.

Also updated info on quality-affiliates and here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...197#post425197

Notice: Currently we are automatically searching, monitoring and will list only those companies or others that DO NOT appear and/or not affiliated with Ebates.com or on their stores list. To help us verify at any time you may visit here: ebates.com/all_stores.go

If you are a company or you know of a company or other not currently on this list, please let us know: qa @quality-affiliates.com

If you would like to help us, we are also searching for scripts or other methods that will allow us to verify and monitor companies or others who may be affiliated with other parasitic companies such as those listed on the top of the page in "beware".

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Love that new law suit filed against DirectRevenue for hiring scumbag affiliates hitmen to infest systems by hidden bundling and drive-by installs.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1782649,00.asp

The wanks taking fees even block anti-virus and Anti-Spyware, firewall programs from working.... http://www.benedelman.org/news/120704-1.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread