Yahoo Indexes only the index page.
    Hi Everyone,

I have been reading in many forums that affiliates with sites in YAHOO with lots of pages suddenly get those pages ALL dropped execpt for the index page?

This has happened to me too with one of my best sites.

Lots of theories have been thrown around about cross-linking, content etc... but not many of them hold up.

Anyone else experiencing this and dare I ask "anyone know why?

mopek

Ditto, I can't get any detailed search results for many of my search queries. Don't know the reason, but it makes their search kind of useless. I'm going to alternate engines where I can put in a boolean query and get nonpaid results. It kind of reminds me of when altavista's search results dropped in the toilet back in 2000.

What happens is the keyword that you are targeting on your sub pages gets indexed but the list the index page so the user has to find that page once they click on your site. I have a site where I have 125 keywords that are #1 in yahoo none of the pages are there but if i put the keyword in my index page is number 1

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have had the same thing happen and I know I haven't done anything wrong. Between only my index showing up in Yahoo and Google pounding my site so deep into the results that I can't even find it for half my search terms I am ready to pull my hair out!

I tried waiting it out to see if things would come back up, but that didn't work. Now I have reworked every page on my site to see if that helps. Google has come along and picked up fresh copies, but nothing has budged as far as where I land in the results.

It is frustrating to say the least. Makes ya feel like you are working your butt off for nothing and sure isn't much of a motivator.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am thinking of starting the site up under a different design and domain name and seeing what happens.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    What happens is the keyword that you are targeting on your sub pages gets indexed but the list the index page so the user has to find that page once they click on your site. I have a site where I have 125 keywords that are #1 in yahoo none of the pages are there but if i put the keyword in my index page is number 1

Are you sure?

If I do the site:mydomain.com mydomain.com serach in the YAHOO search box I get only the index page.

Then... If I search for an "exact" phrase consisting of about 10 words that appears on one of my pages I get nothing...

mopek

P.S. On that one site I have been getting alot more MSN traffic ??

typically, the search engines prefer the top page in the domain more than sub-directories, and sub-directories more than sub-pages...

yes, you can a lot of times find the sub-directories, and sub-pages in the listings, but often the top page will be listed first whenever it is relevant.

try clicking the "More from this site" on your main page listing to see what deep matches yahoo! is surpressing in the main results page.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    I am at a loss as to what to do next. I am thinking of starting the site up under a different design and domain name and seeing what happens.
    Michelle,

I don't recommend starting a new domain. If you do this, you'll have to start all over in the eyes of Google. It's been made public that they're concerned with the age of your site and the time it's been active. It may take a year or two to rank well, so you just need to be patient. In the mean time you can purchase traffic from AdWords or Overture and see if you can make an ROI that way. All the while you need to work on making your site commendable and remarkable. Try to generate a buzz and get what little visitors you have to comment on it in their blogs or forums. That's really all you can do at this point. Focus on your establishment and continue to add value. Find the #1 resource in your market and try to outdo them.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have the EXACT same problem. MSN and GOOGLE crawl through every corner of my site, DAILY. Yahoo only picks up a dozen pages or so. I think this is deliberate. Yahoo has a submission service where you can pay $49.99 for the honor of getting "properly indexed" by Yahoo's serch engine.

So, they expect me to pay $50 for something that MSN and Google does already on a daily basis? Note that the $50 is just for getting included in the search index, the webmaster is NOT getting a pay-for-inclusion listing nor is he getting listed in Yahoo's directory.

Now, if you are a web surfer, which service would you use, Google or Yahoo?

Hi PokerTurkey,

Where do you see this service?

Are they saying if you pay $50 we will deep-crawl your site and index all your pages and if you don't well , who knows?

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/sse_hiw.php

How It Works

1. Submit your URLs for review in compliance with content quality guidelines and pay an annual fee per URL plus a cost per click.

To determine which URLs to submit, ask the following questions:
    * Is this URL a must-see?
    * Does the content of the page change frequently?
    * Has the content of this URL changed recently?
    * Is this a page that you want to increase traffic to?
    * Is this a page that I can further improve using input from Search Submit's reporting?
    2. Once reviewed and accepted into the program, your pages are added to a database of sites that powers algorithmic search results for major web portals such as Yahoo!, Alta Vista, AlltheWeb and others.
    3. Submitted URLs are presented in algorithmic search results based on relevance to search terms.
    4. When a user clicks on your Search Submit Express listing in algorithmic search results, you pay a cost-per-click fee for that lead. You must maintain a positive balance in your account for your pages to remain active in the program.
    5. Your URLs are refreshed (re-crawled) every 48 hours to ensure that the most up-to-date content is available to search users.
    6. At the end of one year, you may renew your annual subscription.

Thanks,

They don't 'exactly' say whether or not they will still index sites not submitted to this service as they have alsways done.

mopek

I'm as confused as you are.

All I know is that there is no good reason why MSN and Google can index me daily but Yahoo couldn't. Paying to get indexed feel a bit like extortion to me.

search engines prioritize which sites they check constantly...

are you sure that msn & google are re-indexing the same pages daily? OR are they breaking down the indexing of your site into smaller daily chunks?

typically, if the search engine can detect that a site is constantly updated, then they may prioritize that site to be re-indexed a little more frequently.

the program which you are referring to is $50 + .15 - .30 PER CLICK. for the $50 you are paying to have the urls which you are paying for re-indexed every 48 hours, and are paying them additional $ for each lead that those search listings bring you.

so the more you work on optimizing your search engine rankings, the more you pay them.

but pokerturkey you need to realize that a search engine is not required to ever index any site. search engines are businesses, and a businesses first obligations are to their customers. if you are a paying customer of the search engine, then as long as you don't breech the terms of the agreement, and they accept that your site qualifies for the submission program, then and only then do they have an obligation to maintain the terms of that agreement. but even that agreement doesn't make any guarantees that your urls will be listed at any particular position, or that they will even be listed at all.

Promosoft, I understand what you are saying. Of course Yahoo doesn't have an obligation to index my site. But the fact that it takes $50 for Yahoo to do what Google and MSN does for free just makes Yahoo a less effective search engine IMO.

If you are a regular SE user, would you rather use Google, which indexes more sites w/o asking for money, or Yahoo, which prioritize indexing resources based on whether webmasters pay them $50?

Edited by Packy!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread