Seperate Servers?
    Is there a test I can perform that will tell me if my sites that I have hosted with the same company is definitely on seperate servers?

Does pinging my domain name give me this info?

Thanks,
    Tami

No one know the answer to this querstion? Or is it too dumb a question to answer?

Haiko, maybe move it to the "Domains & Hosting"?

I really need to know.
    Thanks
    Tami

I have found that many hosting compaines will move thing around to balnace the load... meaning your websites will be spread out across the entire network...

I dont know that it really matters... along as your sites are online..

I have noticed that my VPS acount is handled in a like manner the reason I know this is some sites are lightning quik... others are slower then snails...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Hi Tami,

Pinging your domain name, to get the IP's, won't help because different IPs can be hosted on one server and one IP can be load-balanced to multiple servers.

Two things you can do which may tell you if your sites are on different servers.

1) You can use the "What's that site running?" at http://www.netcraft.com to find out the operating system (OS) and web server hosting a specific domain. If your site comes up with different OS or Server then they're on different servers. It's inconclusive if all your sites comes up with the same OS/Server combination.

2) If your hosting support PHP, you can make a phpInfo page, to give details on the server the page is hosted on. You can get the codes and info at http://us3.php.net/phpinfo. With this, you can identify the "SERVER_NAME" variable, which will likely differ among different servers as most network admin will setup servers with different name (on an OS level).

Good Luck,
    Tuan

I thought there would be a more conclusive way.

How does Google or any search engine determine that your sites are on the same server?

The reason I ask is the speculation that it is bad to have all your sites on the same server as far as search engine positioning/inclusion.
    See this thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...eperate+server

Thanks!
    Tami

>>determine that your sites are on the same server?

Don't confuse "server" with "IP Number". A server is a piece of real, knock-knock-it's-actually-there hardware that can have multiple IP Numbers on it. An "IP Number" only exists within computer software or a database somewhere that can have multiple domains associated with it.

I don't think search engines are that sophisticated to figure out exactly what information is coming from one particular piece of hardware. I don't see much advantage to knowing that information anyways.

They are, however, sophisticated enough to recognize that there are multiple domains under an IP Number, and 'probably' penalize/suppress based on this. Having four thousand domains under one IP number would be information that search engines would find useful in determining relevance.

CodeJockey.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeJockey
    They are, however, sophisticated enough to recognize that there are multiple domains under an IP Number, and 'probably' penalize/suppress based on this. Having four thousand domains under one IP number would be information that search engines would find useful in determining relevance.
    CodeJockey.
    The site I use is http://www.whois.sc/ and all you do is plug in your domain and it will show you how many sites are at your IP address.

C.J. and others bring up a great point that I've wondered about.. I know that they say if you have too many sites linking to each other on one IP address you can be penalized. Is there a magic number that SE's look for 5,10,20,50 sites all on one IP?

Can you tellif a block of ip addresses has been penalised by search engines?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread