HELP!!! I don't know what has happened!
    I use Front Page and have never had this problem before.

I use relative links and somehow FP is changing the links to some directrories and not others to all lower case. This is not consistant throughout the site and I just don't know what is causing it.

Cripes! it is ruining the site!

HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'm SO MAD!!!! I called Microsoft and they don't support FP 98 and won't help!!!!

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this????
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The only time that I saw that problem was because I forgot that I had this [ p.lowercase {text-transform: lowercase} ] on my css and it messed up some landing pages, but I fund it before I uploaded the pages.

Yeah, but I use SSI instead of css.

Thanks for the thought. Is there anyway the host needs to add something like that to some file or something?

I don't know if this will help you but........

I have some pages that I made long time ago with names in the URL like this:

Example:

Product-Detail-Page.html

And then after a while I noticed that some people try to go to that page by typing product-detail- page.html directly in their browsers, which caused a 404 page and I get an email about it.

Even some search engines would give me a lot of 404's because of that Lower-Case, Upper-Case, Capitalize difference in the URL's, so I asked my host for help and they told me to include this on my .htaccess file.

CheckSpelling on

After I did that, I no longer have any problem with the way the people type my URL's, they all get to the right page, sometimes even if they type product-Detail-pages.htm

On my .htaccess file, the first thing I got there is CheckSpelling on
    And I no longer have any problems with the way most of the URL's are typed by my visitors.

Very Important
    I almost forgot to say this:

That will help my visitors find my pages on my site but, if I send my visitors to merchant X with the URL Product.html and the merchant have the page URL as product.html, unless they have a fix on their Lower-Case, Upper-Case, Capitalize spelling on their site, my visitors may get a 404 on the merchant site and I may lose a sale.

No. It doesn't have anything to do with people typing into the browser.

I have directories named like this Site.com/This_Category/This_Page.shtml

But, when you click on a relative link to that page you are taken to a 404 page like this

Site.com/this_category/This_Page.shtml

And the thing is, there seems to be no rhyme or reason because it does it on some pages and links to those pages but not others.

Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it.

ABW Ambassador

A simple text editor works fine for me. As least I know ahead of time that every thing will work just right on my simple modular site.

I've tried WYSIWYGs but never found them to be worth their instability and long quirky learning curves. We all have our druthers.

Best,

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://os2warplinks.com

I ran into something like this a few years back. I was developing sites between my laptop and my desktop computer and for some reason my desktop was saving files and capitalizing the first letter of each word...or was it my laptop??

Anyway I could never figure out how to stop the darn thing from formatting my file names. The crazy thing was that they didn't show as capitalized until after they were uploaded onto a different server or opened on a different computer. It had nothing to do with the programs I was using becuase I would use a few. I always uploaded and then checked the names via ftp and then changed them.

The operating systems I was using were windows 2000 and 98...I don't know if that helps any but maybe its not Frontpage but your computer and its only doing it to files you have modified.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Yeah, I am really used to FP, now.

I am afraid I will have to hook up another computer and buy a new copy of FP.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Yeah, I am really used to FP, now.

I am afraid I will have to hook up another computer and buy a new copy of FP.

Hi SSanf,

I use FP 2003. I have used FP 98, FP 2000, and now FP 2003.

FP 2003 has a lot of new features added that the other two did not have.

I think that you will like it.

i've had some really unusual quirks with copies of frontpage, and with fp extensions as well...

i basically now only use frontpage for creating a framework for the site template, and sticking the site into dreamweaver for the heavy lifting.

there are a lot of quirks, especially with older versions of frontpage, where it wants to re-write any code which it didn't place there itself, and this seems to be one of those instances.

later versions of frontpage seem to work a little bit more reliably, but i still don't trust frontpage completely.

fp03 does have a lot of nice features, especially when it comes to trying to design a layout table, including being able to design rounded edges, and dropped shadows for the layout tables.

Sounds good. The menion of computer geek is supposed to come next week and run cables so I can network with the 5 month old still in the sealed box new computer.

Cripes, I resist change, don't I?

If you host your website on a Unix server it is case sensitive.

For example, if you titled your web page Index.html and reference that page as index.html in your HTML code then the server sees this as two different files and cannot find it.

It's actually good practive to code your web pages in all lower case letters.

Somehow, I think it was an issue with my old computer. I have installed FP on this new one and so far, so good. It is all very strange and mysterious to me.

Years ago I had a host where I couldn't use uppercase, so I just got into the habit of only using lowercase in my links.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread