Content vs Sales
    It seems so far that a content site is more like a magazine with articles with ads. A sales site is more like a catalog of products and descriptions.

Which raises two interesting questions.

Which shows up better in Search Engine Rankings, a sales page or a content page? I assume a content page.

From which page, a sales page or a content page, is a customer more likely to purchase from? That I cannot decide. Would someone who found the harder to find Sales Site already be in a mood to purchase? Would some one who wanted information be less likely to purchase.

Or do the questions have so many variables that it's impossible to gauge.
    Thanks,
    Quicksilver

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Which shows up better in Search Engine Rankings, a sales page or a content page? I assume a content page.
    Don't assume! Content/sales has really got nothing to do with it, from a raw algo perspective, from what I can see. The page that'll show up better, is the one which
    1. Has the most, or the best, links in
    2. Has the best on-page SEO
    3. Or has the lamest competition

If you get more/better links to your sales page than the competition has to their pages (whether they have content or sales), outdo the competition's SEO, and/or you get lucky and find a category where you're the only one in it who knows anything about SEO (that's the "competition being lame" issue), you should get the top positions--regardless of whether your page is content or sales.

From which page, a sales page or a content page, is a customer more likely to purchase from?
    SALES! (imo) But content-moochers will be glad to eat your bandwidth and swell up your log files (without leaving any money behind)!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

They are most likely to buy from the page that sells what they are searching for and comes up high in the searches.

If they want to buy and search for "Hard plastic blue magnetic whippletrees", the page that sells them will certainly make more sales than the one that tells the manufacturing process and the history of hard plastic blue magnetic whippletrees.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

l@rger_th@n_life
    So would it be possible to make a one page sales pitch, and that would outsell a content site?

What if you link the content site to a shopping page, would that work?

"From which page, a sales page or a content page, is a customer more likely to purchase from?"
    Bottomline is -- (( IMHO ))
    They purchase from the merchant's site... get them there asap and you'll do better.

Some like to read everything there is and compare products..
    some people already know about the product and just want to buy now..

EITHER way I can't think of a better place for them to be than on the merchants site "reading" or "purchasing"..

For the purchasers : " BUY NOW "
    For the readers : " SEE DETAILS "

As far as SEO... listen to Leader:
    the normal rules still apply..
    Linking and That pages SEO...

Deep Linking to your own sales pages from your other domains helps..

Smile
    There's a couple questions you need to be asking here. One that's been addressed is what a customer is more likely to purchase from. This very well may be a sales oriented page, but the problem is getting the customer to that point.

What we really need to be asking is what page is a customer more likely to visit. This is definitely a content page. People pass around content links much more readily and the search engines rank content pages much better than straight sales oriented pages.

The trick is to have enough content pages to generate enough traffic to start offering services related to your sales pages. Get their attention first before you start selling something to them.

I disagree that sending somebody to the merchant site right away is effective in *ALL* cases. It does work in many cases where the customer already knows what they want to purchase, but many customers don't know what they want. Many haven't even made a decision to purchase an item. They may have an inkling for a type of product, but nothing has made them decide on one they want. This is where content can be key. If you strike the proper chord with a content reader, you'll turn that lurker into a sale.

When it all comes down to it, you want traffic. If you've got 100,000 unique content visitors each month, there's always a way to mold that traffic into something profitable. You have a lot more control when you have more visitors and you can test strategies with immediate feedback. If an ad works, you get sales immediately. You also have visitor feedback and loyalty. It's rewarding to see people using and enjoying what you've created and the best part is finding your link on a random website saying "The best [genre] site on the internet!!"

Sure the money is great, but when you can't always find the sale figures you want these content related gems really make working online worthwhile.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

So would it be possible to make a one page sales pitch, and that would outsell a content site?
    Absolutely! It is done all the time

What if you link the content site to a shopping page, would that work?
    On some occasions. But, not as often as you would like to think. If they are really looking to buy, they would much rather be on the page with the product in the first place.

What we really need to be asking is what page is a customer more likely to visit. This is definitely a content page.
    Not if they can avoid it. Do you really think I wanted to go to a content page when I wanted to buy serviceberries? Heck no, I didn't. I just wanted a page that told me where I could buy some serviceberries.

Get their attention first before you start selling something to them.
    Put up a page that sells the product they want to buy and you already have their attention.

If you've got 100,000 unique content visitors each month,
    If you have 100,000 visitors landing on pages that take them to the exact product they want to buy, you will certainly do better!

Tell me which is better. Would you rather have traffic from people who know what they want and are searching with credit card in hand ready to buy land on a product page with the item for sale or a bunch of viewers who maybe might have an inkling that they maybe might want to buy something but they aren't sure when or if landing on your content pages?

Tell you what. I will make you a deal. I will take all the customers who already know what they want and are searching for that. And, you can have all the customers who don't know what they want and are doing vague searches and you can educate them and sell after you have gotten their attention. We got a deal?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Smile
    If I could easily maintain a 100% shopper crowd over a long period of time, I would. But that's very difficult and unless you've got the marketing power of Bizrate, Pricegrabber, Techbargains or eBates, you need to find other methods of traffic generation. Shoppers are more difficult to please and much more fickle about who they shop with. Most who show any sort of dedication have already made their decisions about who they'll shop with.

I've done a lot of experimentation with building pure shopping sites. Until now, my shopping sites have offered limited content outside the information I receive in merchant newsletters and datafeeds. The only substantial traffic increases I've experienced have been due to Google, Yahoo and MSN. The traffic comes by the bucketload for a couple months then it vanishes. What's worse is those thousands of visitors have already forgotten me and moved on. Where's the loyalty in that?

Doing this makes me feel cheap and unwanted. I really just want to offer something that garners respect from my visitors. I can't continue building sites without some sort of dedication.

It's possible to make a good living with all kinds of ups and downs, watching the search engines like a hawk. But it's also possible to make an even better living becoming something bigger. Wouldn't it be great to someday appear in this list:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sit...e=lang&lang=en

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Well, personal satisfaction and ego gratification are entirely different needs. With, for the most part, session only tricks and merchants paying for only the first sale, and cookies that get wiped out all the time, loyalty isn't what it once was, either. But, it is nice, I suppose. There are lots of different ways of getting traffic.

I can understand wanting to create something you are proud of. But, as I said, that is a different issue. I am sure many are also proud of their no content stores. But, I can see where it just wouldn't seem like much fun to you.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread